The Running Thread - 2018

Thanks for all the submissions of races and congrats to everyone getting in! I will try to update the list ASAP. If you noticed that I liked your post with your race, that is a indication that I have it accounted for, maybe just not posted yet. I'll get there.

So my favorite place to relax is riding Gran Fiesta Tour as many times as I need to cool down and rest.

YES!!!!! Gran Fiesta Tour is so relaxing. Love this!
In fact, during DATW, while everyone else is drinking all the tequila, I may just ride Gran Fiesta Tour over and over again until we're ready to move on.

@SarahDisney and @Barca33Runner I like the boar ride as much as the next guy, but I struggle to find the relaxing part about that ride. I think it has a lot of high noise areas IMO. NOW the people mover!!!! Mostly stirring the pot here :)

@LSUlakes my WDW race dates are wrong. apologies.

No soup for you!

I kid, I'll take care of it.

I'm try to not cause controversy everywhere I go, so I'm going to sit here in the one comfortable chair in my meeting room and not talk about the one attraction that hurts my back more than anything else.

Nomad is pretty good. I’ve heard great things about Geyser Point at WL. I also like Martha’s Vineyard at BC.

Visited Nomad for the first time recently. Could not get inside so we sat outside. I liked the environment, but the review of the food have been less than stellar so we just enjoyed our drink and company. (I'm assuming we are talking about the same place near Pandora in AK?

Jan. 12 - Keels - WDW Half Marathon (Podium, obvi)
Jan. 13 - Keels - WDW Marathon (Again - Podium. Duh.)

Podium is code for "parking lots beers" :)

Fun Friday QOTD: I'm working on my off Friday and I am not happy about it, plus my lack of sleep is catching up! So lets think of something that is needed after a long work week... a bar or lounge. What is your favorite bar or lounge to hang out or relax at while at WDW?

Thirsty River because they open at 730 for marathon runners
Hurricane Hannah's for the company and being outside
La Cava for the jalapeño cilantro margarita and the chips & guac
Trader Sam's for the drinks & entertainment

I'm try to not cause controversy everywhere I go, so I'm going to sit here in the one comfortable chair in my meeting room and not talk about the one attraction that hurts my back more than anything else.

The people mover? Is it the speed up areas or the turns? Can we compromise and say the COP is both exciting (for me) and a place to nap (my wife)!

Fun Friday QOTD: I'm working on my off Friday and I am not happy about it, plus my lack of sleep is catching up! So lets think of something that is needed after a long work week... a bar or lounge. What is your favorite bar or lounge to hang out or relax at while at WDW?

You have my sympathy. I was just asked to work extra hours and I'm not happy ... I'd be extra grumpy if anyone asked me to work on an off day. Ugh.

I feel both of your pains. I just found out I have to work Saturday, 8/4 from 8AM-Noon. I never work Saturdays, but on top of that my 30th birthday is Wednesday, 8/8, so there goes any celebrating for me over that weekend. LOL.

ATTQOTD: I have never been to a bar or lounge at Disney so I have no response. I prefer to relax and people watch by the water-spitting camel at Aladdin's Magic Carpet ride :rotfl2:

Like many of you, most of my drinking at WDW is spent while wandering Epcot's World Showcase, especially during Food & Wine. For favorite bar or lounge, I'm going to say the Top of the World lounge. My friends and I love sitting in their private curtained off rooms. (They kind of remind me of the private rooms you see at strip clubs in the movies, LOL!) The Ghiradelli chocolate martini is our drink of choice for this location!

An honerable mention goes to La Cava. Who doesn't love a good margarita? And they have so many to choose from! It might have been my #1 if it was larger (and quieter).

@SarahDisney and @Barca33Runner I like the boar ride as much as the next guy, but I struggle to find the relaxing part about that ride. I think it has a lot of high noise areas IMO. NOW the people mover!!!! Mostly stirring the pot here :)

I'm currently giving a test run to my MNSSHP shirt (we decided to go with Haunted Mansion themed shirts as a group in lieu of costumes) and it features this image:

1716503_1.jpg

The noise is a secondary concern. I just enjoy my time with my pals Donald, Jose, and Panchito.

It's been a while and I have been hoarding people's updates, but this is the current list. We are well into the year and I know a bunch of you have been running like crazy (cough @KSellers88 cough) so let me know if I need to update any of your states!

states.JPG

I just returned home 2 days ago from nearly 2 glorious weeks in Hawaii. I ran every day on vacation except one (we had an early flight to another island), but hiked Diamond Head that day instead. I found a local race on Maui last Saturday, July 14 (Ioa Valley 5k/10k). My son did the 5k and I did the 10k. The first half was ALL uphill, about 720 feet of climbing in 3 miles. This made the 2nd half fun--I ran the 2nd 5k in 18:47, over 3 minutes faster than the first 5k! It was a small race with about 260 people between the 2 races. I finished first female, 8th overall. It was fun to race someplace else and they had good post race goodies--the watermelon slices were the best I have ever had!

37160834_10213572603364002_9065292067558653952_n.jpg37068129_10213572603604008_5898206260347535360_n.jpg

37088849_10213572603083995_311684350741577728_n.jpg

My winnings: A beer glass (sadly empty) with the race logo etched in it and a logo drawstring bag.
37096647_10213572605604058_4640871433600237568_n.jpg

Also to be noted, that would be the last time I would ever run with my beloved Tifosi glasses. The were permanently lost in the ocean just a few hours later (stupid me for wearing them in the ocean).

The Maui News had a nice article the next day and posted everyone's results. I remember when Cincinnati used to do that for major races--over 15 years ago!

http://www.mauinews.com/sports/local-sports/2018/07/valley-isle-scoreboard-357/

We stayed a couple of nights at Disney's Aulani. This was my 2nd time there and it does not disappoint.

30425226_10213547060365443_580357034965204992_n.jpg

37073110_10213547066085586_2942745985870200832_n.jpg

Seeing Duffy was the highlight for 2 of my kids. We also met Shellie May, which was a first for us!

36990025_10213547069445670_5950862181439373312_n.jpg

We spent 6 nights on Maui, which will always be my happy place (outside of WDW of course).

37225256_10213591522356965_8007749090672640000_n.jpg

37204401_10213591522836977_3143752400943185920_n.jpg

Had great snorkeling and ruined my phone at the same time. I did not have luck with the ocean.

We started the trip in Kauai and did ziplining and tubing through the rain forest of the canals of an old sugar cane plantation.

36802272_10213524631204728_1081105614148468736_n.jpg

So far the time change is kicking my butt. I can't seem to fall asleep until 2-3 am no matter what time I get up. The day we got home, I slept for a few hours and then did laundry for eternity. I went for a run at 11:20 pm which of course did nothing to help the sleep situation.

Friday QOTD: We are big fans of the pool bars. Our kids have always loved afternoon pool time after a busy morning in the parks, so with the ease of paying with a magic band, the beers are always flowing. And it's almost like you don't have to pay for them...almost...until that last day when you get your bill. o_Oo_O:scared1::scared1:

ATTQOTD: Having only been to WDW once, I have limited spectrum on things like this. But I will say that my husband and I got off on the wrong bus and ended up in the French Quarter instead of the Riverside and found ourselves inside the Scat Cat's Club for a few hours. It was fun!

ATTQOTD: I am pretty sure I have been to just about all the lounges across all of WDW and they are all great – especially the ones at the resorts. I’ll give my fav’s by location:

Animal Kingdom: Nomad Lounge
Studios: Tune-in Lounge
EPCOT: Tutto Gusto
Disney Springs: Jock Lindsay’s
Resorts: Top of the World Lounge

My top choice out of these has to be Top of the World Lounge. Not only is it a place we love and visit just about every trip, but it is also where we held our Disney Wedding reception. It is a rare spot for a wedding because they just started allowing them in that space and only for Bay Lake Tower owners. In fact, our wedding was the first ever at Top of the World Lounge.

It's been a while and I have been hoarding people's updates, but this is the current list. We are well into the year and I know a bunch of you have been running like crazy (cough @KSellers88 cough) so let me know if I need to update any of your states!

View attachment 338113

LOL! I forgot about this! Unfortunately the only state I have to add right now is TN. I'll have SC, LA, MS and maybe KY by this time next year though! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter