• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"The Race Retreat" & other WDW Jan Stuff

ultramickeymouse

DIS Veteran
Disney really wants to pamper runners and take their money :roll: $95 for "runners retreat" and you still have to pay $10 for massage???

Who's in???

This from e-newletter:

MORE MAGIC HAPPENING DURING MARATHON WEEKEND
THE RACE RETREAT

ChEAR SQUAD

EAT & GREET WITH YOUR FAVORITE DISNEY CHARACTERS!

The Race Retreat
Are you looking for the ultimate way to experience the WALT DISNEY WORLD® Marathon Weekend? Treat yourself before and after the race with a trip to the Race Retreat. By purchasing the Race Retreat Package, you will have private restrooms and bag check pre-race, a full brunch awaiting you post-race, Disney Character greetings, internet access to check live results, concierge level treatment and more! Do you want your friends and family waiting in the retreat to ChEAR your accomplishment? They can purchase the platinum ChEAR Squad package and celebrate with you! Registration for the Race Retreat will be limited, so register early to ensure your spot! Packages will be available for pick up at the Marathon Health & Fitness Expo.

REGISTER TODAY!

Pre-Race Amenities

Temperature controlled tent with outdoor patio seating
Lounges with flat screen televisions
Private restrooms
Private bag check
Padded stretching area
Pre-race bagels and fruit plus hot beverage service, water and PowerAde
(Only runners will be allowed into the tent pre-race)

Post-Race Amenities

Designated location to meet friends and family and celebrate your accomplishment!
Internet access to check live results
Changing tents
Mini medical station
Massage for $10
Full brunch and beverage service
2009 Walt Disney World Marathon® Weekend giveaway (exclusive to the runner’s Race Retreat Package and not available for purchase)
Other Amenities

Disney Character greetings
Information and Concierge services
Marathon Weekend Merchandise Station with t-shirt customization
Exclusive ability to pre-register for the 2010 Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend (Includes Marathon, Half Marathon, Goofy’s Race and a Half Challenge and the Family Fun Run 5K. Limited to one registration per runner)
Package Pricing

Half Marathon Race Retreat Package - $95
Full Marathon Race Retreat Package - $95
Goofy’s Challenge Race Retreat Package - $160
Race Retreat Hours

Half Marathon: 3:00 am – 5:30 am (runners only); closes at 11:00 am
Full Marathon: 3:00 am – 5:30 am (runners only); closes at 3:00 pm

Back to top.

ChEAR Squad Packages
Your favorite runners train hard all year and you work just as hard to support them in their endeavors. Get ready to ChEAR your athletes on in style and get the inside information on race weekend with a ChEAR Squad Package! Whether you want the inside scoop on the course viewing areas or you want the ultimate retreat from the long race day and a guaranteed seat at the finish line – we have a squad for you! A limited number of packages will be sold, so register early to ensure your spot! Packages will be available for pick up at the Marathon Health & Fitness Expo.

REGISTER TODAY!

ChEAR Squad – Bronze Package (Complimentary!)

E-newsletter with course and pace tips to spot your runner!
ChEAR Squad – Silver Package ($35)

E-newsletter with course and pace tips to spot your runner!
Your ChEAR Squad gear kit which includes:
ChEAR Squad backpack
Custom ChEAR Squad stadium seat cushion
ChEAR Squad Mickey clappers
ChEAR Squad t-shirt
ChEAR Squad – Gold Package ($55 for Marathon or Half Marathon/ $75 for Goofy’s Challenge)

All of the amenities of Silver Package plus…
Entry into the finish line ChEAR Zone which includes:
Reserved grandstand seating at the finish line
Hot beverage service and water
Sharpie Inspiration Station
Private restrooms
ChEAR Squad – Platinum Package ($95* for Marathon or Half Marathon/ $160 for Goofy’s Challenge)

All of the amenities of Gold Package plus…
Entry** into the Race Retreat which includes:
Temperature controlled tent with outdoor patio seating
Lounges with flat screen televisions to watch your runner
Internet access to check live results
Private restrooms
Full brunch and beverage service
Disney Character greetings
Concierge stations
Designated location to meet your runner and celebrate!
Merchandise Station with t-shirt customization ($)
Kiddie Korner with crafts, movies, face painter and other activities
(*)Youth ticket (ages 9 and under) available for $85/$150
(**) Race Retreat will open to friends and family beginning at 5:30 am)
($) Additional costs associated

Back to top.

EAT & GREET WITH YOUR FAVORITE DISNEY CHARACTERS!

New for the 2009 WALT DISNEY WORLD Marathon Weekend!

Treat yourself and the whole family to an unforgettable dining experience. Enjoy a nutritious buffet and then have your photo taken with your Favorite Disney Characters! This unique dining opportunity is only available to Marathon Weekend participants and their friends and family. Space is very limited. Sign up today to reserve your spot!

Friday, January 9 - Purchase!
Saturday, January 10 - Purchase!

Eat & Greet with Your Favorite Disney Characters! will be hosted at Disney's Wide World of Sports® Complex and available at the following seating times:

Friday, January 9 & Saturday, January 10, 2009

Breakfast (9:00 am - 10:30 am) $28/adult & $14/child
Menu Includes: Fresh Fruit Salad, Cold Cereals with Milk, Scrambled Eggs, Glazed Ham, Oven Roasted Red Potatoes, Assorted Breakfast Breads and Pastries with Butter and Jellies, Orange Juice, Coffee, Decaffeinated Coffee and Hot Tea

Lunch (12:00 pm - 1:30 pm) $30/adult & $15/child
Menu Includes: Mixed Green Salad with Lite Vinaigrette, Pasta Salad, Oven Roasted Chicken with Citrus, Pulled Pork with Buns, Fruit Salad with Watermelon, Iced Tea and Lemonade

Dinner (5:00 pm - 6:30 pm) $32/adult & $16/child
Menu Includes: Medley of Greens topped with Dried Fruits, Berries and Sunflower Seeds with Lite Pomegranate Vinaigrette; Buckwheat Pasta with Asian Vegetables, Edamame, Tofu, Soy Paste and Pineapple; Petit Penne Pasta tossed with Black Beans, Red Beans, Garbanzo Beans, Grilled Chicken, Fire Roasted Corn, Tomato and Cilantro; Cheese Tortellini with Roasted Garlic Marinara; Corn Bread, Whole Grain Bread Sticks and Butter; Apples and Bananas; Iced Tea and Power Ade

Seating Style & Photo Location
Each seating will be offered as a buffet with open seating at tables of ten. Seating is open so guests can sit where they like. Please note this may result in multiple families or groups sitting at the same table. Your Favorite Disney Characters will make special appearances at a specific Character meet and greet location during your seating time. Be sure to bring your camera!

Restrictions
Eat & Greet with Your Favorite Disney Characters! is not included in the Disney Dining Plan. Prices are inclusive of tax and gratuity. Children’s tickets are for ages 3 – 9. Children under age 3 are complimentary but must be included in your party size. Registration for this dining experience is non-refundable and non-transferable. Due to limited seating capacities, guests will not be able to transfer from one seating time to another. Menus are subject to change without notice. Food and beverage will be served regardless of the weather and refunds will not be issued.

Ummmm . . . not me!

But you can't blame them for trying. After all, some people buy the "Platinum Plan" too!

This year I think it cost $50, now they want to practically double it? You have to be kidding me...

Maybe it comes with one of those Jaba the Hut cars to do the race in instead of running and walking.

There will be people do this though.

I'll pass. If it's cold or raining or whatever, we will be out on the road for 6 hours so another hour isn't gonna make much difference. After I get done I can have a heck of a feed for $95 dollars with all the beer I want to.

Walking Panda:hippie:

Maybe it comes with one of those Jaba the Hut cars to do the race in instead of running and walking.

I'll pass. If it's cold or raining or whatever, we will be out on the road for 6 hours so another hour isn't gonna make much difference. After I get done I can have a heck of a feed for $95 dollars with all the beer I want to.

I am going to start doing my idea from last year in that I will rent an RV and charge only $50 to hang out beore the race with a bathroom with much smaller line. Also have some pre and post race food. I could pay for my trip to WDW between the 2 races in Jan :thumbsup2

We could have some raw meat for those Spartans from the DisneyRunning Marathon and Goofy section.

Kinder Gentler Panda:hippie:

$95/person? :eek: Ummm... isn't bordering along the price that Victoria & Albert's charges for dinner. :laughing:

One of the gals at our running store was telling me about this. She did the half this year and said it was worth the money. She recommended that I go for retreat as well but I was wasn't convinced because my DF will be with me. At a $190, I don't really have to think about it anymore ...

I am going to start doing my idea from last year in that I will rent an RV and charge only $50 to hang out beore the race with a bathroom with much smaller line. Also have some pre and post race food. I could pay for my trip to WDW between the 2 races in Jan :thumbsup2

haha, I think you've got a winning idea there. $95 is just ridiculous! Especially when you look at the cost of race registration... that's one expensive day.

Robert - I'd be willing to dress up as Snow White (er, make that SW's mom), if you want to have characters at your little retreat...if you let me in at a reduced rate. :laughing:

Seriously, though, it's beginning to looking like a bargain compared to the $130 spaghetti dinner at the Disneyland Half marathon. :rolleyes:

You know, in a way, I'm kind of glad Disney raised the price to $95. My mind has been a little foggy lately and I was actually *thinking* about doing the retreat this year. However, this price hike snapped me right out of that fog and back to reality. I'd much rather hang around my DIS friends and maybe stay at the Polynesian for a couple of nights than spend this kind of money. Geez!

Hmmm, I own an RV so at $50 pp.....:idea:

Goofy is an expensive beast. $250 x 2 =$500. Add $160 x 2 =$320 for retreat means $820 for 2 races and pre/post race goodies:scared1: Add another $40 x 2=$80 for 5K and thats almost $1000 for 2 !!! At least they reduced the Goofy from being the cost of 2 seperate days vs previous years:rolleyes1

Also, $55 for some trinkets and a reserved spot to watch someone spend 30 seconds crossing the finish line!

Disney believes in the old saying "if you charge it, someone will come":rotfl2: I think thi is there way to limit the number of people who do the retreat but still make the same money.

I think I'll just go back to our room and have a massage and goodies.... ;)

Ummm.... no.

Although the whole "Pre-register for 2010" thing is an interesting inticement.... I guess I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed that there's room for me when registration opens....

Kevin :earsboy:

I saw that email last night and about choked when I saw the prices not only for the runners retreat but for the cheer packages. That is just rediculous. Why would anyone pay almost as much as they paid to get into the race for what they are offering in the retreat and then to charge an additional $10 for a massage!!! I wasn't thinking of doing it anyway but the price is just crazy!!

You know I was thinking about buying the cheer package before I saw the prices and benefits. Silly me, I was thinking of the "older" cheer package which was what, $25? It included a little bit for breakfast too.

$55 for my wife to have seat at the finish? I don't think so. She'd kill me if I paid that for those little benefits. She doesn't mind spending $55 on say shoes or something, but not for this.

I'm not doing the runner retreat either. Need to hang out with my homies before the race.
enjoy,
Duane

Actually after the race this year we went to PIKABU at the Dolphin and spent exactly $96 for the 5 of us. You should have seen the food we had. Including Twinkies that Hope was "dying" for. Honestly, I could only eat about 1/2 my burger, I just wasn't hungry.

I like the freedom of eating where I want and when I want. That night we went to MGM and I got some veggies and dip. It's all I could handle.

Before the race we ate at the Brown Derby. It was pleasant, good food and no more expensive than what's listed above. Plus we were able to stroll back to the room in plenty of time for a shower and check our gear one final time.

denise

Actually after the race this year we went to PIKABU at the Dolphin and spent exactly $96 for the 5 of us. You should have seen the food we had. Including Twinkies that Hope was "dying" for. Honestly, I could only eat about 1/2 my burger, I just wasn't hungry.

I like the freedom of eating where I want and when I want. That night we went to MGM and I got some veggies and dip. It's all I could handle.

Before the race we ate at the Brown Derby. It was pleasant, good food and no more expensive than what's listed above. Plus we were able to stroll back to the room in plenty of time for a shower and check our gear one final time.

denise

I wasn't dying for them, they were my reward for getting across the finish line. They were soooooo good though. Twinkies... om nom nom. :hyper:

The private bathrooms sound good but not worth it. Especially after multiplying the price times five. We will just pack some extra tp and wipes. Temp controlled tent? We'll just huddle around Denise if it's cold.

Other then shorter lines, what's the perk? Unless it includes a carb loaded meal (with twinkies), a shower, and a bed for napping, I don't see anything.

I wasn't dying for them, they were my reward for getting across the finish line. They were soooooo good though. Twinkies... om nom nom. :hyper:

The private bathrooms sound good but not worth it. Especially after multiplying the price times five. We will just pack some extra tp and wipes. Temp controlled tent? We'll just huddle around Denise if it's cold.

Other then shorter lines, what's the perk? Unless it includes a carb loaded meal (with twinkies), a shower, and a bed for napping, I don't see anything.

Hope, somehow, I knew you would see that quote about the Twinkies. It still makes me laugh!

d

Hope, somehow, I knew you would see that quote about the Twinkies. It still makes me laugh!

d

Sometimes it's the little things in life. It was so fun going off the deep end after watching my diet and exercise so closely. I think the twinkie tradition shall continue. If we go back to that place again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter