*The Official VILLAS AT DISNEY'S GRAND FLORIDIAN RESORT & SPA Owners & Lovers Group*

Thanks! I should have specified that our small children will be with us, if that changes your answer!

Second question - we have a 1BD standard reserved. Is there a particular area/room request I should ask for? Or just roll the dice with what I get assigned? Nothing really stuck out to me when I reviewed TP.

Thanks!

I highly recommend this video and the Touring Plans website.

Agree on the touring plans room finder feature on their website (which is free, but you have to navigate a bit to find it) also, on page 1 of this thread there are links to villa views which I find helpful.
Regarding the video, it’s dated & bold to have such decided opinions about locations from someone who admits she’s never stayed in the DVC GF villa building 😂. FWIW, I personally would not follow her advice, but I’ve stayed in the villas several times & disagree w/ her guesses about what the views are based on my personal experience. Her first choice in standard is ground floor right by the entry & that would be my last choice since I like to sit on my balcony/patio & folks can easily see those patios as they come & go. She suggests avoiding the villas overlooking the Porte Cochere up to the 4th floor, this is our view from 1426 & I enjoyed that view, every time the monorail went by I smiled, it was so close!
IMG_4993.jpeg

Thanks! I should have specified that our small children will be with us, if that changes your answer!

Second question - we have a 1BD standard reserved. Is there a particular area/room request I should ask for? Or just roll the dice with what I get assigned? Nothing really stuck out to me when I reviewed TP.

Thanks!

There aren’t many villas in the building so chances are your first choice villa won’t happen to have someone checking out the same day you check in. My approach is to just make a general request (I prefer upper floors) & I’ve enjoyed the views from each of my villas for different reasons. We absolutely love the 1 br.s ❤️.

Agree on the touring plans room finder feature on their website (which is free, but you have to navigate a bit to find it) also, on page 1 of this thread there are links to villa views which I find helpful.
Regarding the video, it’s dated & bold to have such decided opinions about locations from someone who admits she’s never stayed in the DVC GF villa building 😂. FWIW, I personally would not follow her advice, but I’ve stayed in the villas several times & disagree w/ her guesses about what the views are based on my personal experience. Her first choice in standard is ground floor right by the entry & that would be my last choice since I like to sit on my balcony/patio & folks can easily see those patios as they come & go. She suggests avoiding the villas overlooking the Porte Cochere up to the 4th floor, this is our view from 1426 & I enjoyed that view, every time the monorail went by I smiled, it was so close!
View attachment 896045

There aren’t many villas in the building so chances are your first choice villa won’t happen to have someone checking out the same day you check in. My approach is to just make a general request (I prefer upper floors) & I’ve enjoyed the views from each of my villas for different reasons. We absolutely love the 1 br.s ❤️.
I would stay away from 1221 though...

Great idea, we love Poly and didn't check out Captain Cooks on our last visit, plus we love the boat as a transportation option!
If the weather’s nice I’d hop on the boat over to the Poly & grab something from their QS - Captain Cooks, and then head to the MK via monorail or boat from there.

Also on my list that I am thinking about! Thank you!
If your kids are picky at all, go to Gasparilla and then take the boat to over to MK.

Thanks! I'll check out the video. I love TP and have found it helpful at other resorts, for some reason I feel pretty clueless about VGF even after having looked at it. Maybe I'll wing it and now throw in a request at all ...roll the dice!

We are VERY excited to stay here for our first time and the 1BDs look lovely! The rooms overlooking the monorail would make me smile too. I don't feel very strongly about the room assignment so maybe I won't make any type of request at all, though I do prefer upper floors also rather than ground level.

Oh gosh, why? Going to TP now to try and figure it out, haha!
I would stay away from 1221 though...

Great idea, we love Poly and didn't check out Captain Cooks on our last visit, plus we love the boat as a transportation option!

Pro-tip that I'm sure is shared elsewhere on these boards: Tambu lounge (one floor above ground/lobby/Cap't Cooks/Trader Sam's; same level as the monorail station and about 100 steps from it) serves many of the popular dishes from Ohana, but it's a la carte. We would NEVER even consider passing up this spot on a WDW trip. I would strongly recommend Tambu Lounge over Cap't Cooks.

The Grand Floridian is an amazing resort and the VGF rooms are sooo nice. You will love it, even if you are in the xx21 block of rooms. Enjoy your trip!

Oh gosh, why? Going to TP now to try and figure it out, haha!
1221 is a studio on the second floor, so you won’t end up in it. The TP pix of the view doesn’t look so bad because it’s looking sideways, if you look straight ahead you are looking directly at the Porte Cochere roof & because you’re on the second floor you can’t really see above that roof.
Pro-tip that I'm sure is shared elsewhere on these boards: Tambu lounge (one floor above ground/lobby/Cap't Cooks/Trader Sam's; same level as the monorail station and about 100 steps from it) serves many of the popular dishes from Ohana, but it's a la carte. We would NEVER even consider passing up this spot on a WDW trip. I would strongly recommend Tambu Lounge over Cap't Cooks.

The Grand Floridian is an amazing resort and the VGF rooms are sooo nice. You will love it, even if you are in the xx21 block of rooms. Enjoy your trip!
Funny how different folks have different favorites. My experience w/ the bar next to Ohana (Tambu lounge) has always been while waiting to be seated at Ohana and/or Kona & it’s always been crazy crowded & loud. Maybe it’s less hectic before Ohana opens? Whereas, Captain Cooks has nice indoor & outdoor seating, a decent menu for a QS, & the outdoor seating is usually fairly quiet which might be a good fit w/ OP’s small children 🤷‍♀️. They can always do the quick boat hop over to the Poly from the GF & then opt for whichever venue appeals - the more upscale Tambu lounge or the more casual Captain Cooks - once they get there & afterwards head over on the boat to the MK for the party :).

thanks everyone for all the suggestions! still kind of pinching myself that we own at VGF! really looking forward to our visit!

New DISboards Posts

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest