The Gulf State Park DISMeet 2017 Thread (aka "The Sequel")

How are Randy and Nic for this one? Looks like it is going right at Biloxi, but not real strong.

j

Randy said the news folks were going crazy, but that's just the nature of their job.

FWIW, me and DW are headed to GSP next month. Gonna stay close to where Kris and Bert were. Gulf Shores is lovely in the late fall. Hope we get good weather.

Bama Ed

Last edited:

I happen to be in Gulf Shores this weekend. :cool2:

Lisa was off work today so I took it too and we are at Gulf State Park in the spot Patrick was in this past May next to Bert and Kris' spot. We got in about noon and got set up.

20171110_124556.jpg

Lunch was out on the Pink Pony Pub patio in downtown Gulf Shores. It is an absolutely beautiful day - highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s with absolutely no clouds at all.

20171110_130845.jpg

Did I mention it was beautiful today? Panorama view beach side of the Pink Pony.

20171110_134621.jpg

Lots of construction at Gulf. The lodge is nearing completion and an overhead walkway that goes over the beach highway has been built with long approach ramps that zig zags to get high enough without steps. The beach end comes down between the lodge and the fishing pier meaning it will be possible when finished (might be) to ride your bikes to the fishing pier (or walk) from the campground. The wooden fence next to the campground road has been extended down to the beach highway meaning the roadside parking lot there at the traffic light is blocked off. I will try to get some pix tomorrow.

Got the satellite dish set up to watch a few games when I'm not wandering around on Saturday.

Bama Ed

PS - tiggerdad, Gulf Island Grill is closed now as some do in the off-season until Jan 2 when the snowbirds finish their migration to Gulf Shores.

Last edited:
Lots of construction at Gulf. The lodge is nearing completion and an overhead walkway that goes over the beach highway has been built with long approach ramps that zig zags to get high enough without steps. The beach end comes down between the lodge and the fishing pier meaning it will be possible when finished (might be) to ride your bikes to the fishing pier (or walk) from the campground. The wooden fence next to the campground road has been extended down to the beach highway meaning the roadside parking lot there at the traffic light is blocked off. I will try to get some pix tomorrow.
PS - tiggerdad, Gulf Island Grill is closed now as some do in the off-season until Jan 2 when the snowbirds finish their migration to Gulf Shores.

Ed, Ed.

Good to see you're taking advantage of some time off.

I was figuring the fence would be brought on down to the highway to keep the path intact. I for one am glad to hear that parking lot is no more. It means the middle beach is now for those of us willing to walk or bike which means less crowded.

Hate that about Gulf Island Grill, I could really go for a plate of Gulf Island Ya-Ya. Man, Memorial Day week isn't getting here fast enough.

P.S.
When last we were there, on the long wooden bridge that went around the lake across from your old site 8 (between the highway and the lake) there was a spot that looked like they were going to link the bridge over to the public beach closer to Orange Beach. Just was wondering if they did anything else on that.

Have fun man!

Settling down to watch a little football this afternoon finally and provide some Gulf State Park updates.

Here is the blocked off parking lot at the intersection of the campground road and beach highway. A simple boardwalk to the beach is across the street. But now the only way to get to it is via the trail on foot or bike.

20171111_134655.jpg

Some of the Comfort Stations around now have automated ice selling machines (as in swipe a credit card) on the side of the building. Oddly, the CS over by Live Oak (behind tiggerdad's spot #18 does not. But swipe a cc and you get 10# of ice for $3. There is a machine at the camp store and outside the check-in building as well. This is the machine at the CS near Bert and Kris' spot.

20171111_143839.jpg

We went for a walk this afternoon by the store (another beautiful day, blah, blah, blah) and I thought I would share the bike rental rates for the ones rented at the store:

20171111_145352.jpg

Michael, the spot around the lake next to the bike trail is the landing zone for one end of the cross-over walkway that's down by the beach pavilion. One end comes down on the Middle Lake side with access to the boardwalk trail and the other end comes down next to the pavilion parking lot. Here is a view from the Live Oak campsites:

20171111_150732.jpg

And a view from the pavilion parking lot.

20171111_124512.jpg

This is the same walkway type I wrote of yesterday with one end that comes down on the beach side between the lodge and the pier parking lot and then the other end comes down on the Shelby Lake side where the picnic and dog park area is (and where the zip lines used to be).

The campground is pretty full this weekend.

Bama Ed

That looks impressive Ed. Thanks for updates. Fixing to settle down and eat some homemade soup and watch Bama play.

Ice machines I like.

Man time is flying by. May will be here before we know it. I don't have anything booked at the Gulf this year except our Dismeet. I need to remedy that soon. All the new trails and crossovers are looking great. I'm excited because we typically did a lot of bike riding rather than spending tons of money doing tourist things. But being local we can drive down anytime we want and do stuff. Something to think about as a group outing this year might be a day trip to the new Owa park. They have tons of shopping, food and amusement rides. Day passes cost adults 35. Seniors (60) kids and military are 28. Annual passes are 89 for anyone. Which is a great deal if you're going more than twice. They just opened the Walburgers there. Look forward to seeing everyone in a few months. Just have to survive Christmas and Mardi Gras intact.

Kids get out of school on May 31. Looks like everyone wants to go to Gulf Shores for a week. Just booked site #3 from 6/1-6/6 . Was surprised, lots of spots already taken. :cool1:

dmaxphil there were a lot of them taken while we were there last year. I was trying to book a good spot closer to the group and nothing I wanted was open. But I am picky on what I like. The place just gets more popular each year. Hopefully some day they will expand a little or interest will die down some. Welcome to the party. Look forward to seeing you.

Phil,

Glad you could join us. I know last year you cancelled your reservation so this coming year I am looking forward to meeting you in person.

Is it Summer 2018 yet?

Bama Ed

dmaxphil there were a lot of them taken while we were there last year. I was trying to book a good spot closer to the group and nothing I wanted was open. But I am picky on what I like. The place just gets more popular each year. Hopefully some day they will expand a little or interest will die down some. Welcome to the party. Look forward to seeing you.

Last year I think I had site 14 booked before cancelling. Then we ended up staying 1 night in March (site 105) on the way back from the Fort. Loved the vibe of the place so looking forward to going back.

Phil,

Glad you could join us. I know last year you cancelled your reservation so this coming year I am looking forward to meeting you in person.

Is it Summer 2018 yet?

Bama Ed

Me too Ed! I was pretty bummed about having to cancel out. At least we did get to see GSP for a day. :) So where is everyone going to be located? I'm sure some of those red dots on the GSP map belong here.

Me too Ed! I was pretty bummed about having to cancel out. At least we did get to see GSP for a day. :) So where is everyone going to be located? I'm sure some of those red dots on the GSP map belong here.

Phil,

I'll be in #4 during Memorial Day week so we'll be neighbors.

Yeah, how 'bout all those red dots? It's like my poor little state park system allows site-specific reservations at its flagship campground. If they can do it, Disney should be able to do it.

Bama Ed

Well....

I hate to have to post this, but I knew it was a real possibility when I book for 2018. I have to miss out on the GSP DIS meet next year. We have a huge IT project that is rolling across the system. The academic campuses, which I support, are going live June 2nd, 2018. Earlier this year, before any facility was live, I didn't think there was any chance we would hit the June date. Now that we are 5 months away with 2 groups live and on time, it looks like we will be pulling the trigger the first weekend in June.

I'm still going to enjoy GSP (cheapest "beach" vacation around). I'll just be doing it from September 8-15. If anyone is close or wants to join me, there are still lots of sites open. I moved from site 2 to around the corner on Ed's favorite, site 4. Great water views with some shade (and no gators according to DW).

j

Last edited:
Jim,

Gonna have to play that September 8-15 by ear. I have my fingers crossed that my wife and I might make a "just us" trip down to FW weekend of September 1 and maybe go see Alabama play Louisville in Orlando for my birthday. If I can get her to leave the kids for a few days that is.

Not many gators near site 4, but there is a group of squirrels in those oak trees that are pretty active.

Sorry you can't make it Jim. But work comes first if you want nice things. I'm sure you'll have plenty of fun in September.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter