The End of our Chunky Year of Disney! Dec 2017 TR - NEW 3/21 THE END of our YEAR OF DISNEY

So sorry to hear about your dad! I'll be thinking of him and sending love and positivity his way (and yours) in his rehab!

So sorry about your dad, sending good thoughts your way!

Hope your dad feels better!!

Sorry to hear about your dad, I hope he feels better soon :hug:

I’m so sorry to hear about your Dad :hug:

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, I know how tough that is when you have a family member in the hospital.

On happier notes, that Galactic Nights looked like such a fun party! I would love to attend one, but I have a feeling that they won't be happening any time when I'm planning on going there.

So sorry about your dad. Sending positive healing thoughts your way.

Wow, I'm so sorry about your dad. Hope he is feeling better soon :hug:

So sorry to hear about your Dad. Sending virtual hugs and good thoughts.

On a Disney note, I heard they were doing another party. I’m definitely thinking about it, thanks to your report!

Hang in there. Hope the DIS can be a fun escape.

Oh dear. That is awful about your dad! :( Be here as you can and we'll be here to support you with prayers and encouragement as we can.

Catching up, I'm sorry to hear about your dad; being moved into the rehab facility is definitely a step in the right direction though.

Looks like a great end to the galactic nights, you got some amazing photo ops as per usual!

Oh no....I'm just catching up on threads... I'm so sorry to hear about your Dad's illness. Please take care of yourself.

SO sorry to hear about your dad. Hope he continues to recover. Prayers lifted for all of you.

I am so sorry to hear about your father. Glad to hear that he was moved to better surroundings.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers! We really appreciate them. :grouphug:
My dad is doing much better. He left the rehab facility on Monday and has been home since. In fact, my dad thinks he's completely fine and cured, although the rest of us know better. He's going to request all tubes be taken out of his body and he's on a daily regimen of Tai chi and physical therapy :)
I think he just wants to get on with life and doesn't want anything to hold him back. We shall see when we head back to the doctor in a few days, but he's feeling good and optimistic!

Thanks everyone!:disrocks:

On happier notes, that Galactic Nights looked like such a fun party! I would love to attend one, but I have a feeling that they won't be happening any time when I'm planning on going there.

It's really fun! I loved the food and the theme. I loved all the cool backdrop pictures. If we ever attend another one I'm going to focus on getting Vader and Rey pictures!
Oh BTW, we are scheduled to be at WDW from Sept 1-8. Are you all still going at that time? :)

Happy to hear your dad is feeling better!

Food looks amazing, and even thought most of the day was spent relaxing, looks lovely!

Thank you so much!
It was a nice relaxing day - I guess there is something to do even when the parks are crowded! Basically - get out of the parks!

So happy your dad is improving! That’s terrific news! I totally agree with you on not waiting more than 25 min for anything. We are spoiled, LOL. I really enjoyed the Swan and Dolphin pool on a past visit! Oh, Yachtsman. And those onion rolls. :love: Happy birthday to Steve. Looks like a perfect night!

Absolutely spoiled! LOL. Us Disboarders know how to bypass most lines but there's nothing we can do when it's so crowded, at least we got to meet with Gaston!
The Swan and Dolphin has many different pools to choose from which is nice. And Yachtsman...sigh, you can never go wrong there. Despite the lack of rides we did that day it really was a great day!

Wonderful news :love:

Thank you! :hug:

Bummer! I never bring back-ups with me, but I think that's a good idea.

Of course when I forget to bring them is when I actually need them. :rotfl:

So underrated…I love relaxing at the resort pools :lovestruc

Definitely! We tried to do that a lot during the summer, but the pools were so crowded!

We went once in 2013 and it remains my favorite meal in WDW, ever. Gonna have to get back there soon!

Yes! I think you should :)

Oh my gosh! So cool! How did you get that done?

If you let the restaurant know before you can probably have it done for you. I emailed my waiter friend David ahead of time. I only knew about this because my friend Betsy did this for me last February on my birthday! :)

Glad to hear your dad is doing better. How is your mom holding up through all of this?

Thank you so much! My mom is actually handling all of this quite well, mostly spending the time telling my dad to take better care of his health and then recommending some sort of holistic Chinese medicine - this pretty normal behavior for her. :laughing:

That's too bad MK was so crowded. My family has vivid memories of a day in MK in August, 1995. It was about 100 degrees and had record capacity crowds. This was before fast pass and every ride had at least a 90 minute wait by noon. After that trip, we took a five year Disney hiatus.

Haha I remember those times. We used to visit in the summer months too - soooo hot and crowded! No FP! It was insane. You see an hour line and you wait in it. Sigh. Now we know better!

One of these days I'm going to make it to Yachtsman Steakhouse. Your meal always looks fantastic. I want one of those garlic rolls right now!

It is really yummy! I think you should try it!

I love that selfie with the fireworks in the background. You look stunning in that photo!

Aww thank you!:hug: I only look good because I'm completely in the dark, LOL!

So happy your Dad is back home :hug:
We went between Christmas and New Years one year and the crowds were insane
Your pictures reminded me of wall to wall people
Glad you got some quiet pool time
Love love Yatchmans can’t wait to return
The personalized menu is so nice

Thank you so much! He is very happy to be home.
I will never go so close to the holidays again...just too crowded for our liking. It was very pretty with the decorations though.
Yachtsmans is always great! Love the service and love the special menus :)

I must sound so repetitive but I’m sooo happy your dad is doing better! I went through a health scare with my dad where he had to be in hospital for a long time then rehab. So I understand how scary it can be then how much a relief it is that he’s better but a bit cautious just in case. My dad is 100% now! I hope your dad will be soon too.

Thank you so much, it really is great he is back home. I'm sure you felt the same way when your dad returned home. I'm happy he is recovered 100% that is great news!
Growing old sucks! I just have to stay happy by going to Disney!

Glad your dad is doing better!

What a lovely day! And your dinner sounds like it was amazing! :)

Thank you so much! :hug:
It was a great day despite not doing much, but good food tends to make me the happiest anyways!

Joining in! Always love a Chunky TR :)

So sorry to hear about your dad, but very glad to hear that he's on the upswing! Sending good thoughts and prayers his way for good health.

Your shirt "I Am From Pizza Planet" is so adorable! And Holy Cow.....CONGRATS on your DVC Contract....that's so wonderful!!! That DVC tote bag is just too cute. We are so on the fence with purchasing a DVC ownership, but I feel with all the great additions on the horizon - now would be as good as time as any to make the investment.

Joining in! Always love a Chunky TR :)

Thank you, thank you! Good to have you here!

So sorry to hear about your dad, but very glad to hear that he's on the upswing! Sending good thoughts and prayers his way for good health.

Thank you so much! He is feeling much better. Hoping for some pixie dust for the next doctor's visit!

Your shirt "I Am From Pizza Planet" is so adorable! And Holy Cow.....CONGRATS on your DVC Contract....that's so wonderful!!! That DVC tote bag is just too cute. We are so on the fence with purchasing a DVC ownership, but I feel with all the great additions on the horizon - now would be as good as time as any to make the investment.

Thank you! I got them from the Disney store online! I think they might also have them on fifthsun.com

And Thank you! Yes, it's so amazing to be DVC owners! I feel like we just own part of Disney, lol, even though the contract is only for 50 years. Haha it is the most expensive bag that I own! I never thought we were really on the fence per se...I thought we were no where near the fence as Steve never wanted to buy into DVC and I always did! But sometimes he surprises me and this was the biggest surprise of all! They are building the new resort near Caribbean Beach that is supposed to be all DVC...Riviera or something like that. Sounds pretty awesome...also sounds pretty pricey but hey, it can't get more pricey than the Polynesian (as in # of points needed per night). I wish you good luck if you decide to purchase one! You won't regret it! You definitely feel a high when you think you're DVC owners!!

Glad to hear your dad is doing so much better and home now! Sorry your day at MK wasn't so magical but I guess when you go so much you don't get as upset about not having the best day ever every time. Your dinner at Yachtsman looks delicious as usual!

So glad to hear your dad is feeling better and has such a positive attitude.

Wow - those crowds surprise me. I would have thought it wouldn't get like that until closer to Christmas.

I'm glad your dad is doing better! We'll continue to send positive vibes his/your way.

The holiday crowds were definitely starting to come in! We were shocked at the crowd difference from this day to the day or two before. We went to animal kingdom this morning and ended up waiting an hour for Dinosaur... :sad2:

Yachtsman looks delicious ! Need to get there some day. I might meet an onion I actually like in those rolls! :rotfl:

So on an unrelated topic... I feel like I remember you mentioning Colorado Clothing sports on one of your TRs...? I can't find it though. I saw them at Costco the other day and it rang a bell... I was thinking of trying them out.

So glad to see your dad is home and recovering. Hoping his tests go well.

Looks like your day ended better than it started

Love Yachtsman!!!! We last dined there in July, and it's still one of my favs!

Definitely a favorite! My friend just ate there today and posted a picture. Sigh I am so jealous!

Glad to hear your dad is doing so much better and home now! Sorry your day at MK wasn't so magical but I guess when you go so much you don't get as upset about not having the best day ever every time. Your dinner at Yachtsman looks delicious as usual!

Thank you so much!
Yeah MK wasn't that fun that day but it's still fun just "being" there.
Dinner definitely made up for the lack of stuff we did that day!

So glad to hear your dad is feeling better and has such a positive attitude.

Wow - those crowds surprise me. I would have thought it wouldn't get like that until closer to Christmas.

Thank you so much, he is doing better and better every day. We hope and pray this will continue :)

The crowds surprised us as well. We were there a week earlier the year before and it was such a difference. The crowds the week before were so light and we could do so many things. The week before Christmas I think it starts to get super packed!

I'm glad your dad is doing better! We'll continue to send positive vibes his/your way.

Thank you so much!! :)

The holiday crowds were definitely starting to come in! We were shocked at the crowd difference from this day to the day or two before. We went to animal kingdom this morning and ended up waiting an hour for Dinosaur... :sad2:

Yeah! It was such a difference from a week before which is the time we went a year earlier. I think I will have to think twice about going on Steve's birthday just because we weren't able to do much. Still it was fun to go so close to the holidays! Sorry about the Dinosaur wait! It seems like it was like that everywhere!

Yachtsman looks delicious ! Need to get there some day. I might meet an onion I actually like in those rolls! :rotfl:

Haha you might like those rolls! They are quite delicious!!

So on an unrelated topic... I feel like I remember you mentioning Colorado Clothing sports on one of your TRs...? I can't find it though. I saw them at Costco the other day and it rang a bell... I was thinking of trying them out.

Yup Colorado Clothing. I have some of their skorts and they are comfy and flattering and the price is great! They do ride up a little though, at least on me. My favorite skorts are Sparkle Skirts. They never ever ride up. I bought one for my first 5k and now I'm hooked! They are more expensive though but I find I reach for them more when at Disney because they are so comfy and functional with all their pockets!

So glad to see your dad is home and recovering. Hoping his tests go well.

Looks like your day ended better than it started

Thank you so much, so far he looks much better and we're staying positive!

It sure did! I'm always happy with a belly of good food :)

Hope your father continues to be on the mend at home. :grouphug:

The rest of your Galactic Nights party sounds like fun. The Yoda pepperoni is cute. I was trying to come up with something clever to say but all I've got is

"Chew or chew not. There is no dry"

Everything I've read about Warwick Davis at these events make him sound like a really interesting guy.

Ewoks and Jawas are my favorites. I guess I identify with the little guys.

GREAT popcorn bucket.

Seems like some really intriguing food choices. I wouldn't say no to the crab!

Love the Star Wars fireworks!

:goodvibes

Last edited:
Bummer about the huge crowds and long waits at MK that morning! You had some great Fast Passes to enjoy, though and lunch at my favorite MK dining spot!

Nice resort break followed by a fantastic pre-BD dinner. You know, I have never dined at Yachtsman. :blush:

Ending with some time at EPCOT for EMH is perfect! Especially on a comfortable night.

::yes::

Oh BTW, we are scheduled to be at WDW from Sept 1-8. Are you all still going at that time? :)

We get off the Fantasy on the 1st, so we'll be arriving at Disney the same day. I'm not sure if you have plans already but on the 2nd we're having a potluck party in our Grand Villa for dinner/afternoon meal. I'm not sure if you know Pam or Jill, but I know that you follow Karin and Tom's reports, they're staying with us. I think Karin has invited some of her local friends to partake as well.

I'm sorry that your day at MK, was less than magical. I hate crowded parks too. So many people just gets on my nerves. I won't wait longer than 20 minutes for even the best rides! Your dinner sounded really nice, and how great for the waiter to know you and all your preferences!

Because it was so crowded at MK we just did our 3 FP+ and had a lunch at my favorite, Columbia Harbor House. We split a meal that consisted of an adult platter as well as a kids meal - fish n chips and chicken nuggets. It was good and totally hit the spot for lunch. Good tip is to use the mobile ordering through the MDE app as the line was very long to order. It was really only long to order as picking up food didn’t take long at all.
I have eaten at CHH in ages, but now you have me totally craving some fish and chips. I'd forgotten how good it was. Will definitely have to correct that !

MK was so crowded that we just decided to leave since everything had an insane wait, even the Peoplemover! There were lines for everything, photographers, food, characters, etc. Too bad MK was not as magical this time, but we are lazy and won't wait on anything longer than 25 minutes, lol.
Yikes. I wouldn't have thought the Xmas crowds would have hit yet. Good idea to get out of there.

David always knows our order – some red wine, and a porterhouse done medium-rare with some steakhouse sides: caramelized onions, creamed spinach, and mac n cheese. This time we also got a French Onion soup to start which makes the perfect accompaniment to the yummy pull-apart onion rolls and roasted garlic. In between our appetizer and dessert, David gave us some palate cleansers of mango sorbet in champagne, delicious! And for dessert, a beautiful chocolate mousse dome with a birthday greeting for Steve. I highly recommend Yachtman Steakhouse for a great traditional steak dinner – you can’t go wrong here! And please tell David I say hi!
Sounds like the perfect meal. We love Yachtsman too, but service is the one area that isn't always on. Will most definitely have to request David in the future and tell him we're friends of Chunkymonkey :-)

Yachtsman was never on my radar, but I"m wondering at my miscalculation on this. Probably needs to be on "the list". THanks for a wonderful review!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter