Tell me where to start with planning first DL trip

kniquy

DIS Veteran
We are avid WDW visitors and are in the thick of planning two up coming WDW trips for this year. Having just watched some videos about Walt, his apartment and the light which is still on really has drawn us to visit where it all really began.

I honestly know very little about DL. For a first time visitor what would you advise? We would be traveling 2 Adults and 3 kids (Twins boys 13-14 yo and 6-7 yo girl at the time we might go)

Where would you stay? I have seen pictures of the Grand Californian and it looks amazing, but pricey? How early do you suggest booking?

Are there any better times to go? We likely would have to stick to the usual school vacations or summer time so kind of limited?

I noticed on the DL website offering ticket packages for 3 nights DL parks, legoland and then Seaworld. We really have no interest in Legoland but seaworld might be nice to include in the visit.

Really just how many days would you need to see the parks?

What is your go to airport when flying in? It sounds like the LA traffic is brutal all the time so avoiding it is best. We would be coming from MA likely flying out of BDL or BOS

Sorry for all, this is just the beginning of our planning, but so excited we have decided to make our pilgrimage to the land that Walt built.

A few things. Yes, the Grand is pricey. In fact, I'd go so far as to call it overpriced. While the common areas are wonderful, the rooms, while nice, are nothing special. I suggest trying somewhere like The Candy Cane Inn, which is markedly cheaper.

Also, decide how long you'd like to visit the park. I suggest a minimum of two days, but obv you know your family best. Certainly factor in what rides/attractions are important for you to do. Decide, also, if MaxPass is important to you and in your budget. It can make your trip easier.

From my POV, DL is a far better park. Yes, I suppose if you only plan to visit once, you have to do DCA, but if it were me, I'd do two days at DL, one at DCA.

Hope this helps.

Start by choosing a date and duration for your visit. Summertime can be a good option; the weather is generally very pleasant, most if not all of the attractions are open, and there really isn't much of an off-season any more. The one disadvantage is that hotel rooms are generally more expensive. Be aware that crowds can be dictated by annual pass blackout dates, so if you're trying to pick a time it is worth looking at when annual passholders can't access the parks. In terms of duration, most people would suggest a 3-5 day visit for first time travelers. I think 4 days and 3 nights is probably a good compromise. If you're traveling in June be aware that Grad Nights are still running in the earlier part of the month. I've never found them to be too annoying, but it depends on your tolerance for free-range high school kids.

For travel convenience it is tough to beat SNA, and some people swear by Long Beach (I don't have any experience with it myself). Don't rule out LAX if the prices are right, though. If you can schedule your arrival and departure times for off-hours traffic isn't too terrible. Remember that you can use Google Maps to get an estimate for travel times on specific dates and times, so if you aren't sure check first.

The next decision you need to make is where to stay. Disney charges a substantial premium for its official hotels, but having unlimited Magic Mornings can be a huge benefit when the parks are crowded. For me staying onsite is worth it, but many people disagree and your budget and touring style will largely dictate this decision. If you plan on spending all of your time in the parks staying on-site is less beneficial. If you like to take breaks in the middle of the day and think you'll take full advantage of the amenities then the resorts can be a good, if expensive, choice.

Once you've made these two decisions you can think about planning the specifics of your trip. One of the nice things about Disneyland is that you don't have to micromanage your vacation. There are no Fastpasses to book, for example. That said, some of the really popular options (like the Blue Bayou Fantasmic dining package) can book up early. If you're interested in any of these I'd recommend booking them as close to the 60 day mark as possible to avoid disappointment. None of them are strictly necessary, but if you aren't budget-constrained they offer a more pleasant way to experience some of Disneyland's nighttime spectaculars. The World of Color dessert party is generally well-reviewed.

There's a sticky thread that contains a ton of helpful suggestions for WDW vets who are going to DL for the first time. My general advice:

1. If you can do 5 days at Disneyland, do it. Seriously, you won't be bored. But if this is your first time or if you want to do other stuff while you're out here, do 3 days. 2 days isn't enough in my opinion. With 5 days, it's a wonderful trip and you won't feel rushed.
  2. Skip staying at an on site hotel. Don't even both with PPH. But if you do go with on site, do the Disneyland Hotel over the GCH.
  3. Your money will go a lot farther by staying across the street somewhere along Harbor Blvd. You can probably also find a place that includes free breakfast. That adds up when you're feeding 5 people for breakfast every day.
  4. THE closest off site hotel is the Best Western Park Place Inn, which includes a free hot breakfast. That'll save you probably $60/day alone for the 5 of you.
  5. Spend the $$ you've saved on the hotel on extras that you wouldn't otherwise be able to afford. Like the World of Color dessert party. Or a Fantasmic dinner package. Or a fancy dinner at Napa Rose at the GCH.
  6. Since you're looking at going during school breaks, go during the summer when So Cal Select and So Cal APs are blocked out. Stay for 5 days. Go to the parks for rope drop each day and take a break at your hotel across the street in the afternoon when you're tired.
  7. Skip Legoland entirely.
  8. Save your $$ on Sea World and go to the beach instead. 4 or 5 days at DL will end up costing less than 3 days at DL and 1 day at Sea World just based on the tickets alone. If you want to do something in San Diego, go to the zoo instead. It's really great! Zoo tickets are cheaper than Sea World.

Other suggestions:
  • Fly into whichever airport gets you the cheapest flights based on when you want/need to travel and what's most convenient in terms of total flight time for your family's travel needs.
  • If this means you fly into LAX, you'll be fine.
  • You don't have to rent a car if you don't want to rent one for the whole time you're there. You could hire something like Lansky's to pick you up at the airport and they will include 1 20-min stop at a grocery store or Target on the way to your hotel. Lots of DISers have used them.
  • For day trips, you could rent a car at 1 of several car rental places that are at hotels around Disneyland. There's 1 in DTD, for example.
  • There are no Magic Bands at DL.
  • the www.disneylanddaily.com website has some great blog posts explaining all about how to effectively use FP at Disneyland. It also explains Max Pass if you choose to go that route ($10/day per person).
  • Reader's Digest explanation of FP: it's like old FP at WDW before Magic Bands. You can't make any FP reservations before you go into the park that day. No booking your rides 60 days beforehand.
  • Don't sweat it re: dining reservations. They are not nearly as big a deal at DL as they are at WDW. You will not need to plan your meals 6 months before your trip.
  • Park hours are not published until 6 weeks beforehand.
  • BUT if you want to know what the park hours probably will be, the historical park hours are posted on DIS Boards.
  • You'll be able to make dining reservations 60 days beforehand. But for dining packages, you usually have to wait until the 6 week mark because a lot of those require park and entertainment schedules to be published before they release reservations.
  • The counter service options are DL & DCA are pretty great.
  • There are no FPs for character meet & greets. You don't need FPs for those anyway.
  • You'll be much more likely to encounter characters just wandering around. It's wonderful and so much fun.

How wonderful that you are planning a trip to see the park where the magic began! If you and your family are really interested in learning some park history, you might look into the Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour. Your kids are a great age for that. (Make sure to look into the lobby of the Opera House in Town Square -- lots of fascinating DL history on display, including a fun video from the 50th celebration. Pay special attention to the park bench right in front of the doors -- that's it -- THE bench where Walt used to sit and watch his daughters ride the Griffith Park carousel, where he dreamed up the idea of a theme park where parents and their kids could have fun together.) You'll find Walt's apartment, with the lighted lamp in the window, above the fire station, across from the Opera House. Such a special place, and just after you walk through the tunnels and enter the Happiest Place on Earth. :)
I agree with the pp about doing 5 days if time and budget allow. A more relaxed pace will allow everyone to do their favorites more than once, soak in all the details and enjoy the atmosphere and ambience (so much detail all over the place!), enjoy shows and restaurants, and do some exploring outside the parks, too. We've done on site and off site hotels over the years. For us, it's worth doing off site (Candy Cane Inn or the Sheraton Park usually) to spend the extra savings doing special extras in the parks.
Summer is a good time overall. Longer hours, more staffing, most/all rides running, full entertainment schedule. Pixar Pier is scheduled to open June 23rd. There will be new fireworks and the Pixar Play Parade in DL starting in mid April. PTN will be back in DCA. By summer, WOC should be back on its nightly schedule (it will be down for a few weeks from mid April through early May). The weather should be fine, too -- warm or hot, but not nearly as humid as WDW. Try to avoid the end of August -- the lower AP block lifts around the third week, HM goes down for the Halloween overlay around that time, CHOC Walk (BIG fundraiser is the 26th).

Last edited:

I'd recommend booking them as close to the 60 day mark
Such a nice change to be able to book closer to our trip when we actually have an idea of what we are doing. Is there an online reservation system like what WDW has?

aren't budget-constrained
I think we are going to try work backwards and plan the trip we want to do and save up for it. This will likely be a once in a life time trip (at least for the adults) I don't want to skimp or rush through the trip.

Save your $$ on Sea World and go to the beach instead. 4 or 5 days at DL will end up costing less than 3 days at DL and 1 day at Sea World just based on the tickets alone. If you want to do something in San Diego, go to the zoo instead. It's really great! Zoo tickets are cheaper than Sea World.
Thanks for the tip -- I think 4-5 park days would be perfect with our planned 7 day trip - pretty much our arrival and departure days are wasted leaving only 5 days. I also don't want to plan for other parks and then be disappointed that I have to skip a day at DL

Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour.
Definitely going to look into this. i think my husband would freak because he is an even bigger Walt fan than me.

I agree with the pp about doing 5 days if time and budget allow. A more relaxed pace will allow everyone to do their favorites more than once, soak in all the details and enjoy the atmosphere and ambience
This is exactly what this trip would be about - seeing all the little details that went into the making of the park. For this trip i don't care so much about other southern CA attractions.

I am somewhat leaning more towards after my kids get out of school, which would be end of June into July (of hopefully 2019). It sounds like it would be a reasonable time to venture there. Maybe we will have to work it to be there for the 4th of July. So much to learn about this park!!

Lots of good advice in the above PPs. The Newbie Sticky thread has tons of good tips. https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...iews-hydroguys-tips-newbie-info-here.1072276/

I second the idea of a minimum of 4 days but 5 will be better if you want to go at a relaxed pace.

For hotels, this recent thread should help: "Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/

I second the suggestion that the Walt Footsteps tour will be great for you! I did it myself about 7 years ago. :thumbsup2

As for choosing when to visit - this may help: "Choosing When To Visit DLR: Summary of High and Low Season and When Each Happens" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=36509602

For airports checkout this thread: "Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyore www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297. I myself would choose SNA every time if I could. To me it feels like MCO.

There are some questions you should be asking but don't know yet you should be asking. The previously linked thread to the DLR Guide by yours truly has evolved into the de facto starting point around here: "A DLR Guide for WDW Vets" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

:wizard:

Last edited:
If you are huge Walt Disney fans, then you should consider going on Disney Legend Bob Gurr's Disney bus tour. He does it once a month usually on the 3rd Sunday of the month. Tour starts in Griffith Park in LA, includes lunch, and he narrates the whole thing. I totally want to do this. The tour gets really good reviews. On the 3rd Sunday of the month, Walt's Barn in Griffith Park is open and he takes you there, too.

http://www.waltland.com/

My in-laws fly from Logan and they always go to LAX. They find some good deals with JetBlue. We fly into SNA - such a cute little airport ;) but we do come from CO where Southwest is king.
5 days minimum for a 1st visit - especially if you are a Disney fan. Park hoppers are a must - I do not get them at WDW but at DLR it is super easy to hop. Another "always/never" - we always stay on site at WDW but never at DLR. We stay on Harbor, right across the street from the entrance. Many choices that won't break the bank. For off-site I book as early as possible. Most places have a very good cancellation policy (like 48hrs before arrival) so if I find something better comes along or if dates change etc I can cancel and rebook.
WoC dessert party is our splurge - great seats and dessert! DCA is a beautiful park, some say it is not a full day park but it is for us. tons of rides, tons of food, Carsland is the best themed land.

We usually rent a car for meals off property and other little side trips. We did SW on our first DLR trip, we enjoyed it and the ride was not bad. We did a separate SD trip and went to the SD Zoo, loved it. Not a full day thing but we took our time, left the zoo for lunch (Hash House a Go-Go) and went back.
One year we went to El Capitan for a movie - they show Disney movies old and new. Great classic movie house.We went in Oct and watched Nightmare Before Christmas 4D.
The Griffith Observatory and the Griffith park carousel are next on our list.
Our favorite thing now is to go to the Farmer's Market in Hollywood for lunch, I always have to find something to do close by since lunch there is a must.

Planning for DLR is nothing like planning for WDW. If you are not on your computer when dining dates open it's ok. You can always find an ADR (though watch for the show packages, those actually do sell out). Plus DLR does not release their calendar as early as WDW. We are going in May and I have no clue what will be open or what shows will be on. It was hard for me the first time I planned for DLR!

If you are huge Walt Disney fans, then you should consider going on Disney Legend Bob Gurr's Disney bus tour. He does it once a month usually on the 3rd Sunday of the month. Tour starts in Griffith Park in LA, includes lunch, and he narrates the whole thing. I totally want to do this. The tour gets really good reviews. On the 3rd Sunday of the month, Walt's Barn in Griffith Park is open and he takes you there, too.

http://www.waltland.com/
I was already bummed we never make it to Walt's barn (our trips are always early in the month) now I am trying to figure out how/when to make this happen!

Last edited:
I wish there was a LOVE button!! This sounds amazing! All these unique experiences are exactly what I am after -- We truly want to soak up as much of the history of Walt.

There are some questions you should be asking but don't know yet you should be asking.
I can't wait to dive into your thread and take notes. I was thinking of doing this trip in a year or two but I might have to make this happen next summer. It really seems like a special experience to go to Disneyland, I hope people know how lucky they are to experience Walt's world.

Great thread. If you're planning a Sea World stop, you should defiantly stay a couple of nights in San Diego. We try and get to San Diego about every other visit. We like to finish with 2 nights there. We've tried starting there with 2 nights, then heading to DL. We've done a split stay and in the middle gone down to SD for 2 nights (not worth it, too much packing/unpacking) and finally finishing our trip out of San Diego. This what I really recommend. It's like it's own vacation from DL. We drive down from DL and spend the day at the beach. You can really be on the go at DL and almost need a vacation from your vacation. So a beach day lets you unwind. Then hit Sea World the next day and fly out the following day.

Great thread. If you're planning a Sea World stop, you should defiantly stay a couple of nights in San Diego. We try and get to San Diego about every other visit. We like to finish with 2 nights there. We've tried starting there with 2 nights, then heading to DL. We've done a split stay and in the middle gone down to SD for 2 nights (not worth it, too much packing/unpacking) and finally finishing our trip out of San Diego. This what I really recommend. It's like it's own vacation from DL. We drive down from DL and spend the day at the beach. You can really be on the go at DL and almost need a vacation from your vacation. So a beach day lets you unwind. Then hit Sea World the next day and fly out the following day.

Do you have a beach recommendation for 2 adults with 3 older teen girls? We are staying in Downtown SD for 3 nights before going to DL, and will not have a car. Will use either public transportation or Uber/Lyft.

To the OP, this is our first time to DL this upcoming summer after many a trip to WDW. So while I can't attest to what is best, I will tell you that we chose flights from Logan to San Diego, and then will leave from LAX, because the price was better for multiple people than Long Beach or Santa Ana, even factoring in the cost of a ride to LA.

If you're really into the history of Walt, something to add to your bucket list is the Disney Family Museum. This is not even remotely close to Anaheim. It's in San Francisco (roughly about a 6-8 hour drive away... sometimes more depending on the traffic). But I highly recommend putting it on your radar should you ever find yourself in the SF Bay Area.

Do you have a beach recommendation for 2 adults with 3 older teen girls? We are staying in Downtown SD for 3 nights before going to DL, and will not have a car. Will use either public transportation or Uber/Lyft.

To the OP, this is our first time to DL this upcoming summer after many a trip to WDW. So while I can't attest to what is best, I will tell you that we chose flights from Logan to San Diego, and then will leave from LAX, because the price was better for multiple people than Long Beach or Santa Ana, even factoring in the cost of a ride to LA.
OMG! Not one, not two, but THREE teen girls!!! At a beach??? In California??? :scared1:

Uhhh, how about the great beach they have out in Death Valley National Park?? ;)

OK, you are clearly insane or, if not, you will be soon. I lived in SD for 5 years and vacationed there with my four sons (yes, four!) for many years.

Which good beach depends. Are you going in summer months? Do you want to go in the water? Have a good boardwalk? Have access to cool tide pools? Shopping? Uhhhh, teen BOYS!!!

I think Pacific Beach aka "PB" by locals is a really good one and more low key. Great for water access. Mission Beach is also good and has more life and energy and activity. Those are not too far from Downtown.

Lots of folks like the beach at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island (kind of close to downtown too) but I never like that beach. It always seemed to have way too much seaweed and flies.

Further north La Jolla Shores is nice and near the tide pools and lots of cool stuff in La Jolla.

Those three were my favorites in SD. Further north in Del Mar was Del Mar beach which was another favorite.

Sorry OP to go so far off topic!

OMG! Not one, not two, but THREE teen girls!!! At a beach??? In California??? :scared1:

Uhhh, how about the great beach they have out in Death Valley National Park?? ;)

OK, you are clearly insane or, if not, you will be soon. I lived in SD for 5 years and vacationed there with my four sons (yes, four!) for many years.

Which good beach depends. Are you going in summer months? Do you want to go in the water? Have a good boardwalk? Have access to cool tide pools? Shopping? Uhhhh, teen BOYS!!!

I think Pacific Beach aka "PB" by locals is a really good one and more low key. Great for water access. Mission Beach is also good and has more life and energy and activity. Those are not too far from Downtown.

Lots of folks like the beach at the Hotel Del Coronado on Coronado Island (kind of close to downtown too) but I never like that beach. It always seemed to have way too much seaweed and flies.

Further north La Jolla Shores is nice and near the tide pools and lots of cool stuff in La Jolla.

Those three were my favorites in SD. Further north in Del Mar was Del Mar beach which was another favorite.

Sorry OP to go so far off topic!

Pacific Beach is where I was eyeing already, so that might be a sign to go. And yes 3 of them, but one is just about out of the teens and they are pleasant and fun to travel with. The four boys were probably great too, entertain each other! I would like a beach that has good bathrooms, with not much seaweed and nice sand, that is the most "California" we can get, if that makes sense. The Atlantic Ocean is close by here, so this is more about seeing the Pacific side of the country. Sorry for being off topic also, OP, Keep us updated!

This may be the dissenting opinion, but here it is. As a local, we ocassionaly do a stacation at the DL hotels, and nothing beats it! Personally it is worth the money for the experience. If this is a once in a lifetime or many many years trip, I would splurge for at least one or 2 nights and then move somewhere cheaper if budget is a concern. GC is also amazing and beautiful and worth every penny!! We also like the Hilton across Katella by the convention center. But with kids we do spend some time in our room (naps) and at the pool, and we are HH members and try to use Hilton properties when we can.

Having been to both parks, and being a DL AP, I personally think 3 days at DLR is enough if you are long day people. If you like breaks and going slow, go when it is very crowded, or have littles maaaaybe 4, but my kids would be bored after the 2nd day, 3 would be pushing it. The parks are right next to each other, a 3 minute walk out one gate and in the other, so you just don’t have the wasted transportation time like WDW. The hours also tend to be longer than WDW sometimes so you may get to tour longer days if you want.

If your school gets out in May, I would go straight after school. Weather is lovely and local schools largely don’t get out until late June, so the crowd is lower in early June/late May than the rest of the Summer. Late August is also slower than mid-July as kids start going back to school in other states. Avoid July 4th for sure. If you get other breaks, local schools don’t do Fall break (except some year round schools), and locally Spring break is only one week and usually closer to April but I’d avoid March due to Food and Wine festival crowds.

DL first and then SD is an excellent recommendation, I’d strongly second that! Seaworld is great, and if you don’t have an amazing zoo near you the San Diego zoo is outstanding! Legoland is usually a pass for us, it is tricky with their age and height requirements. There is a fairly small window of ages that can really ride most of the rides and we always have at least one kid sitting out (too small or too tall).

As far as airports, it depends on your priorities. LAX is usually going to be cheaper but it is a huge airport, with nasty traffic, perpetual construction, and substantially farther away. For convenience SNA or LGB are better. I will happily pay more to fly out of either if it’s not a huge difference, I avoid LAX if I can. Both are smaller airports and much quicker in and out, less traffic around them and closer to the park so you’re to your hotel quicker. Jet Blue has a direct flight to LGb from BOs ;-)

if you have to save money for the Disneyland trip....then plan for 2020........four words may hinder your summer of 2019, or may not, no one knows the date...but everyone knows the four words Star Wars: Galaxy Edge

I am already starting to take notes for a late June 2020 trip and your post was encouraging! Thank you!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter