Tell me all about French Quarter!!

Crichton

Disney Fanatic
My DW insists that we stay at French Quarter this fall during our next trip and, while I'm all for it, I'd like to get a bit of background before I go. So, my lovely and helpful fellow Dis-Fanatics, what are the pros and cons, the secrets and the tricks of the trade??

:) :D :p

We stayed there about five years ago, and really liked it. The grounds were really pretty (we have lots of pics of the grounds) and the rooms were nice as well. The food court was MUCH better than the one at CBR (we had stayed there 5 years before and HATED it). The food was really good. The only recommendation I would make is if you are put in building 1 to request a move. We were there, and it was the farthest spot from the bus stop on the property. That was my only complaint.

The grounds actually didn't remind me much of New Orleans or the French Quarter. But they were beautiful. Didn't try out the arcade, and my hubby has slept since then so can't remember that. The pool was neat, although it was a little cold (weatherwise - cold snap in April) when we were there, and we didn't swim much - just a couple of times.

We were there in December 1999 and loved it. We were in building three and thought it was great. There really isn't a bad location because the resort is so small. Even the furthest would only take you five minutes to walk to the bus, foodcourt, or pool. Look at a resort map and you'll see what I mean. There's a boat to DD and PORS is the sister resort, which is only about a 10-12 minute walk. You can use their pool and they have a sitdown restaurant (Boatrights) which is great. Also, Bob Jackson in the lounge is great to listen to in the evening.

It is a wonderful, beautiful resort. Our favorite moderate because of the size and theming. Take a look at the resort map at the DIS home page and www.ourlaughingplace.com has some good pictures.

We may be there in December and I can't wait!

Crichton,

My Dh and I went to POFQ back in January of 2000 (it was plain ole Port Orleans back then!) and I loved it. The resort is on the smaller side, which gave it such a nice, intimate, homey feel. We were in building 2, which was a great location- right next to the pool and the boat dock. We were also given a waterview, even though we just paid for a standard. The room itself was very nice-clean and in very good condition. I consider myself a hotel snob and had absolutely no issues with the room at all.

Also, the hot tub was great! Being that we were there in January, the nights could get a bit cold. We soon made a habit of throwing on our suits, covering ourselves with a towel, and making a run for the hot tub around 9:00 every night. It was heaven!!! The run back to the room was not as pleasant- it could get cold, LOL!!

I have also stayed at CBR and PO- Riverside (when it was Dixie Landings), and POFQ holds a special place in my heart. I think next time we go we are going to split our stay between the Poly (never been there and it's my dream) and POFQ. I can't wait to get back there!

I think you will really enjoy it.

Mega

Im probably just going to repeat what the others have said, but here it goes anyway. We loved the atmosphere that you get there that I feel is different from any of the other resorts. Its very small overall and that makes it a very peaceful and serene resort. Its very peaceful at night time and the boat ride to downtown disney is a nice way to relax for a little while. Its a nice and breezy ride, especially just as its getting dark out. My favorite part is the street lights that line the mini streets of the resort. I cant really explain it. Its just a nice, small resort with beautiful grounds. Plus, because its so small, the food court is very convenient. Also, Port orleans riverside is just a walk away. Ive never stayed there myself, but most people on heer seem to always have good things to say about their food court and the restaurant there.

I stayed there last September and loved it. I've stayed at the Poly and GF a number of times each and liked the FQ no less. It's nice and small - comfortable, if you will. Never had a problem with the bus schedules. There's also a nice walk along the river up to the Riverside resort.
Like MegaDisney, I'm also a bit of a hotel snob and I could find nothing wrong with FQ. I'd recommend FQ to anyone without hesitation.

I'm enjoying this thread since I'll be there next month. We need to change our plans for next year's trip since we had unexpected expenses and can't do AKL so we may just end up at FQ if I like it!

Are the rooms at FQ the same as Riverside? Anyone have any personal photos?

I too would love some personal photos - this sounds like a winning hotel. I know the outcry when it was temporarily closed was unparalleled (you would have thought they had closed Poly!! ;) ).

Thanks again everyone for your advice!

Port Orleans French Quarter is my very favorite moderate, and I would also say I enjoyed it as much as the deluxe I've tried. You'll love it.

Hey, Soccer Mom - I'm a neighbor of yours in Macomb Twp! Howdy from the other side of Hayes Road!

I'll go ahead and be the one to temper this enthusiasm! ;)
POFQ is pretty. The gardens are layed out formally and the layout of the resort is neat. All the streets are diminutive and I understand what they were trying to acheive. I thought the buildings were bland. Comming form California I thought it would have the feel of New Orleans Square at Disneyland and it didn't. Everywhere you go it all looks the same! For some reason it's theme just doesn't have as much feeling for me. The rooms were nice though. I liked the decore. It was slighly formal feeling but not to...frilly! And like others said the walks are short, to the food court. I wish they could have accomplished their intention a little better though. If they had it would have been a bit better than the other moderates.

We stayed there when my DS was 6 and it was the perfect resort for a small child. Everything is so close. The other moderates are a long walk to the food court and/or the pool. You are close to everything at PO.

We really like the POFQ. We have stayed there at least 6 or 7 times.

The food court was just rennovated and now reflects, from what I have read, the one at Riverside. We always liked Riverside's better than FQ and now that it is similar that will be very nice. You might want to do a search as there are several recent threads on people who just returned from the FQ.

The rooms are the same size as Riverside. The difference is the decor. If you like lots of light you might want to request a corner room as they have two windows. The size of the room is 314 sq feet. There are two double beds, an armoire with a Tv and 3 or 4 drawers. A bench to either sit on or put your suitcases on or under and a table with two chairs. The bathroom does not have a "formal" closet but a clothes rack that is by the two pedestal sinks. The toilet and shower are in a separate room with a door. There isn't a lot of room in there but it is adequate.

Deb Willis' site www.wdwig.com has lots of photos and I think that if you go to the home page here at DIS you will also find a photo gallery. Ourlaughing place.com, I think has some photos, too.

Overall we like this resort. It is smaller than the other moderates and everything is pretty compact. It shares a bus, when it isn't packed and at off times, with Riverside. FQ is the first stop on and the first stop off. We've not had any problems with the buses while we were there.

The last trip, right before they closed it, the rooms were in need of some rennovation. There were stains on the carpet and furniture was nicked. But, it was still pretty clean. So, that was good. I just read another post that said the same thing about the GF so I guess it happens everywhere.

There is a playground for the kids, a bar by the pool, and the pool is very nice. You can also use the pools (7 of them) at Riverside. It is a nice walk along the river to get there and I believe they have a shuttle, also.

Hope that helps

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter