TCM Black opera

Marchand63

DIS Veteran
Watching Carmen Jones something my mother watch when I was small

Harry Belafonte , Dorothy Dandridge Pearl Bailey. Unbelievablecast

Things you watch with your parents that you won’t watch now days

My Dad and I watched WC Fields movies all the time, I must admit I think I still would if one was ever on

We just saw both Carmen Jones and Cabin in the Sky earlier in the summer (kinda hate when TCM does that) about a month ago so switched to Fraiser.

I like Carmen Jones best between the two movies and any version of Carmen makes me happy :cool2:.

My Dad and I watched WC Fields movies all the time, I must admit I think I still would if one was ever on

Once in a while TCM shows old comedies like WC and the Marx Brothers. But such movies are on much less than when I was a kid. I guess black and white movies in general are just not shown much anymore. When I was young Abbott and Costello movies were shown every Sunday morning at 11:30AM for years. Even today if I notice that time approaching on a Sunday morning I am thinking that it would be great if one of those movies was on now

I could be wrong but I think TCM edits movies for content. If you don’t want to show a movie in its original format don’t show it at all.

Once in a while TCM shows old comedies like WC and the Marx Brothers. But such movies are on much less than when I was a kid. I guess black and white movies in general are just not shown much anymore. When I was young Abbott and Costello movies were shown every Sunday morning at 11:30AM for years. Even today if I notice that time approaching on a Sunday morning I am thinking that it would be great if one of those movies was on now
TCM, AMC (in the mornings when they show the 3 Stooges and maybe the Rifleman), and another channel (WE?) constantly show B+W films. Got to say it's been a while since I've seen Abbot and Costello and I suspect they come on a different channel that bought that studio's library. Various Marx and Ritz Brothers were on in the last few weeks.

I could be wrong but I think TCM edits movies for content. If you don’t want to show a movie in its original format don’t show it at all.
Ted Turner used to colorize B+W movies but stopped that a few decades back and TCM tries hard to show films that aren't edited whether in format (so much easier with wide screen home tvs) or length. When they do show edited films you are warned in advance. I love their interviews of film actors. Luise Ranier was a total hoot when she was interviewd a few years before she died @ 104. They also have children appropriate classics on the weekends that are great for the young ones to learn about plotting as well as noir movies that I used to ignore as a teen but totally get now. Errrrr I'm a big fan obviously;).

Two years ago, I was clicking through the channels and came across the colorized version of Miracle on 34th Street and quickly clicked past it. I said to myself...no no no, that was definitely not the color of Maureen O’Hara’s hair.

TCM's next Disney night is 10/15.

I also watched Carmen Jones last night but I prefer Cabin in the Sky. I love that MGM reused Oz's cyclone footage.

TCM, AMC (in the mornings when they show the 3 Stooges and maybe the Rifleman), and another channel (WE?) constantly show B+W films. Got to say it's been a while since I've seen Abbot and Costello and I suspect they come on a different channel that bought that studio's library. Various Marx and Ritz Brothers were on in the last few weeks.

Oh I guess I missed out on the recent Marx Brothers showings. When I was young the three secondary channels in my area showed lots of old movies. And I think even the three network stations ran them at times too, maybe mainly later at night though. Anyway, there were few stations, and half of them showed movies during parts of the day, so I guess it seemed like a lot more were shown. I am glad stations like TCM exist so there is at least a chance to see them. It would be a shame for those classic old movies to just fade away.

I used to love watching movies on TCM but my cable package dropped it at some point - I miss it! I used to enjoy listening to the host, Robert Osborne, and all his knowledge and trivia about the old movies!

In answer to the second part, I used to love watching old movies (and discussing them) with my dad, especially musicals! I still love them and try to get my kids to watch them with mixed results! I took them to see a 75th anniversary screening of Casablanca at the movie theater last spring - that was fun!

@Marchand63 - do you mean black-and-white? The title of this thread is weird. :confused:

Why is it weird? The fact that some films were
“Black operas”. Carmen was one of the films that was 99% black cast what is wrong with that?

Watch the documentary on Paul Robeson, you will see what people of color dealt with in the 40s and 50s and 60s

Why is it weird? The fact that some films were
“Black operas”. Carmen was one of the films that was 99% black cast what is wrong with that?

Watch the documentary on Paul Robeson, you will see what people of color dealt with in the 40s and 50s and 60s
I was referring to black-and-white film/tv, like in the old days, not in a racial sense, which never occurred to me. Given the posts about old tv series/movies, I was wondering if the title was a typo. I've never heard the term "black opera" before. :confused3

The "DC" version w/ Fields is available currently almost until the end of the month:

PLAYING ON WATCHTCM UNTIL: 2018-Sep-23 12:00 AM

It's the only movie with W.C.Fields playing in the month of September that I can see currently.

I used to love watching movies on TCM but my cable package dropped it at some point - I miss it! I used to enjoy listening to the host, Robert Osborne, and all his knowledge and trivia about the old movies!

In answer to the second part, I used to love watching old movies (and discussing them) with my dad, especially musicals! I still love them and try to get my kids to watch them with mixed results! I took them to see a 75th anniversary screening of Casablanca at the movie theater last spring - that was fun!

According to the website you can see TCMWatch for free:

Watch TCM is the convenient way to watch great classic films when you want, where you want uncut, commercial free... and it's absolutely free. Watch TCM is a "TV Everywhere" service that allows you to access movies and the TCM television network on additional devices (a PC/Mac computer and on mobile devices) beyond your TV Service Provider cable or satellite set-top box. You can access the same great programming, uncut and commercial free, available free,...more >

Never knew this before!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!