taking mother

spiceycat

dvc-blt
Mother is 82 and has trouble getting around.

On our WDW days we are staying at a WDW resort - but I am probably more concern on our other days.

I am staying at Sheraton's Vistana Resort for one week (thanksgiving) then Celebration World Resort (my cat can stay with us here).

Vistana is a very large resort - it seems larger than anything WDW has (at present).

So should I go ahead and get her a wheelchair for the entire time - or just get her one for the theme parks.

Also mother gets very upset and mad when I go on my morning walk.

I have to walk each morning or my doctor gets upset. I am not doing this to be mean by for my health.

anyway she wants to come - she can't walk as fast as I need too.

So what can I do to calm her fears!

Secondly she constantly wants to be with me - I live alone and I need my privacy - she will even follow into the bathroom unless I start to scream enough is enough.

What can I do to kept this issue down?

I realize I can't change her - but maybe you have some suggestions so I won't get so mad - she clings to me and I hate it.

I know some of these things may seem silly - but believe me I need help - or I will have to stop taking her with me.

I don't have time to post much right now, but I vote for getting the wheelchair for the whole stay. The only issue would be whether or not you have a way to transport it back and forth.
You might want to look into an ecv, but if she is the fearful type (which may be why she wants to stick so close to you), an ecv might be too scary for her.

For your walks, if you have a wheelchair, you could take her with you (not sure if you want that as solitary time. Or maybe if you had 2 way radios so she could contact you if needed, she would be OK to stay behind.

Hi spiceycat!

i think you should think about renting her an ECV (motorized scooter). Vistana is huge, and it sounds like you'd benefit from the freedom of not having to wheel her around, both on your morning walks and at other times, both in and out of the parks.

there's a FAQ stuck to the top of the board with info on renting an ecv - i'd recommend an offsite company. have used Walker before, but have heard good things about the others, too.

actually, depending upon how long you'd be renting an ecv, it might almost be worth buying a used one (check the classifieds).

if you do use an ecv, remember that they need to be brought into the room to recharge the battery at night. write back and tell me how hard it was to get a room at the timeshares w/o stairs, ok? i'm still trying to figure out what to do this january.

and thanks for the info about the cat! i forgot to think about the fact that some timeshares would allow pets, and i have severe allergies. i'll have to factor that into my decision.

thanks,

dj

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter