Swim Team Families? - Question about Hair Products

mmbrad02

DIS Veteran
My DD is 8 and is doing an after school swim program 3 days a week. It's not a true swim team but it's basically a program that gets them ready for swim team, plus it is very helpful to us as parents for after school care. But back to my question...

She has fairly long dark hair and after a semester of swimming, her hair is a mess. Very dry and brittle and very hard to brush, even after using a regular conditioner like Pantene. Does anyone recommend a specific product or routine to help? I randomly ordered a bottle with good reviews from Amazon yesterday, but at $13, I don't want to keep having to go through trial and error if I an avoid it. I've suggested she try a swim cap but she does not like that idea yet at all.

I’m not of much help. My dd is in her 10th year of year-round swim but our pool has almost no chlorine (I guess it’s an ozone pool).

That said, she definitely should get used to swimming with a cap but her hair will still get soaked.

What helped me years ago was putting conditioner (Pantene or similar) on my hair when it was dry before I put on my cap. It kept the chlorine from soaking in and damaging it, because it was already bogged down with conditioner. I have very fine hair that is prone to damage, but that kept my hair relatively healthy. The conditioner on the hair will also help slide the cap on easier since she's not used to wearing one yet. I also love the Wet brush to detangle wet hair. I used Ultra Swim shampoo and conditioner after swimming, but I bet there are other choices now that also work well.

Back when I played water polo in high school Aveda made a hair detoxifier shampoo that I used once a week to keep my hair from getting gross with the chlorine. They no longer make it but they do make a sun care product that I would look at.

I used to always wear a cap when I swam and I would get my hair wet before putting the cap on. Also check the type of caps your having her use. I used to wear a silicone cap since it was more comfortable then the latex ones.

I also at that time started using aveda’s scalp benefits products which I still use now.

Three kids in swimming here. Neutrogena clarifying shampoo is readily available and not too pricey. Use it after every swim. We use a good coconut oil based conditioner after the shampoo.

Do a hair mask treatment twice a week or so.

Most importantly, saturate hair before a swim, put on conditioner and then the swim cap. Wet hair will absorb less chlorinated water, protecting the hair. When the swim is done, rinse thoroughly.

Sounds like a lot, but once you get the routine down, it’s really easy. She does need a cap. In our club, that’s a non-negotiable.

I will add that there’s no way dd could put conditioner on with a cap and keep the cap on. She has to wash all hair products out or her cap (silicone) falls off.

If she intends to swim, she needs to get accustomed to wearing a cap as US swimming and Y swimming require it.

My daughter no longer swims, but we got trims regularly to keep the split ends from getting terrible. She always showered after practice and meets. At home, she would use Argan or other oils, too. She definitely experimented to find a routine that worked.

She has fairly long dark hair and after a semester of swimming, her hair is a mess. Very dry and brittle and very hard to brush, even after using a regular conditioner like Pantene. Does anyone recommend a specific product or routine to help? I randomly ordered a bottle with good reviews from Amazon yesterday, but at $13, I don't want to keep having to go through trial and error if I an avoid it. I've suggested she try a swim cap but she does not like that idea yet at all.[/QUOTE]

Two year-round swimmers and both my son and daughter had bouts of the dry straw hair. My daughter used Ultra Swim (blue bottle) to get the chlorine out, especially when she started highlighting her long hair in high school. Walmart sells it. Any clarifying shampoo will work but my advice is to ALWAYS rinse her hair as soon as she gets out of the pool. Even if it’s just shower water and no shampoo, you don’t want to let the hair dry with chlorine on it. It can get gummy and brassy too.

Good luck to you DD, swimming is such a great sport!

My daughter has been swimming competively for 3 years. The suggestion about conditioner before swimming does not work for her as her team does drylands then immediately gets in the pool. Kids normally do drylands in their suits with exercise clothes over. She uses Ultra Swim or Malibu something designed for swimmers. She conditions every day after washing her hair. Before she used the swim specific shampoos her hair would look like a rats nest.

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions! DD rides a bus from school to the swim facility, and though I can recommend what she should do before/after swimming, at this point I am totally relying on the judgement of an 8 year old - which can be hit or miss :) She is already out of the pool and in school clothes and doing her homework or in their childcare area when we pick her up. I did ask if any of the girls shower after swimming and she said yes, so I'm going to encourage she at least start rinsing off her hair after swimming. We will try the swim shampoo I ordered from amazon (It's Triswim Chlorine Removal Swimmers Shampoo, but I may go ahead and get the Ultra Swim also) and start conditioning more often.

Her hair was so soft and healthy prior to swimming and being oblivious to the 3 days a week being that big of deal, we went nearly the full first semester without trying to help things out #momfail. She wants to cut it, which I would LOVE right now to help it get back in better shape, but she wants to donate her hair also so it's a waiting game!

Wet hair with cold water, apply some type of conditioner, comb in and she should be good to go..

As well rinsing out her hair right after class... really rinsing it out...

If she wants to donate her... it must be healthy in order to do that... letting her know that the hair must be healthy to donate might help her to remember what to do before and after, giving her some responsibility for this is a big girl thing...

I used to swim competitively and I used Biolage products... the leave-in conditioner! It worked really well on my long, dry hair! I used both the in shower conditioner and the leave-in conditioner.

Both my kids swim. When she moves on to a swim team, a cap will be required. This will probably help. One of my kids hair doesn't seem to be bothered but my other daughter's hair turns to straw. Rinsing when she gets out of the pool helps, and large amounts of conditioner left on for a while help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter