Swan or Gran Destino ?

mefordis

If you can dream it, you can do it.
We'll be going Nov 3 for 5 nights and I just realized we can switch from Swan to the Gran Destino for about the same price. Which would you do? Switch to Gran Destino? We'll have a rental car if that would effect your decision at all.

Swan is walkable to Epcot and HS. Gran Destino is brand new and the rest of the resort has been recently renovated, and it also has an awesome pool. I don’t like to drive on vacation so I’d go with the Swan personally but I think it depends on what you value more.

I agree with Artygal90, the less driving the better especially in WDW. With Swan, you will not only be able to walk/Skyliner to EP and DHS, you will have more dining options within walking distance plus mini golf if interested. I, personally, would feel a little more isolated over at GDT.

I’ve stayed at both and love both. Under normal circumstances, Swan wins for the amazing location, although Coronado has the better room. However, there have been mixed reviews about the Swan Covid practices at best. I would totally go with CSR in this case.

I'm voting for Gran Destino just because we are trying it for the first time next year and it looks awesome!

The only issue I can see with your stay is that it's possible not all the restaurants/bars/lounges may be open when you are there. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of Disney as to when we learn what's opening/staying closed.

Feel like I’d rather answer your question after GDT opens and we know what things will be like, but at the moment I’d lean Swan for walkability to two parks.

We did really enjoy our GDT stay last November, I think it’s a fantastic new addition.

A lot depends on your park plans and what exactly you want out of a resort, IMO.

Which would you do? Switch to Gran Destino? We'll have a rental car if that would effect your decision at all.
If you plan to do HS and want to get into the park that fastest way you should really consider the Swan.

Use the walking path by the BWV pool area to HS to arrive at the screening area first. Cars are often delayed 10-15 minutes at 9 AM at the HS gates. If you arrive at the parking lot too early your are required to circle around.

Buses are slow in the morning due to the number of guests waiting and the social distancing requirements on each bus.

Dave

I would go with Gran Destino if Club Level opens up. Otherwise, I would probably do the Swan. I actually prefer the Dolphin during normal times. I seem to manage better views at the Dolphin over the Swan.

I'm sorry I haven't read about the Swan during covid. What is going on over there now? No mask enforcement?
Social distancing/mask protocol/sanitization inconsistent to non-existent. Issues with cleanliness of the rooms that show it hasn’t been sanitized properly.
Some people had great experiences, but others have not. Those kinds of reviews are typical (everyone is different), but during these times it’s not what I want to hear personally.

If location isn't a issue, then the GD is an amazing hotel. During normal times, you can view the Star Wars fireworks from the hotel....sadly, that isn't the case now. But the grounds of CS are amazing and you really feel like you are transported away to a beautiful place.

I'd stick with Swan. I love me some Coronado but I also love being able to walk to two parks. We always have a car with us since we drive down and we park that sucker when we get there and don't get in it again until we leave. We even use Uber if we are planning on a late supper at another resort because we like to enjoy refreshing adult beverages and would have to forego that if we drove. As far as whether Swan is doing a good job cleaning, I imagine that is catch as catch can in most locations. If it makes you uncomfortable go with GDT or just take some extra disinfectant wipes and wipe everything down. We also skip housekeeping when we stay there anyway because I don't like anyone in my room and you can request they drop off clean towels and water if you need it. I also skip housekeeping anywhere else we stay outside of Disney. I'm pretty good at picking up after myself, we hang our towels up after use them and I don't have to have my bed made up every day. I feel like if I have housekeeping come in I have to pick everything up every day so they can clean so it's just easier to not have them come.

I'm in a similar situation; two rooms booked at Standard View GDT; one for me; and one for DD and her DBF. I have an AP and purchased their four day tickets. The AP rate at GDP with parking for my one car is $1,484 for three nights. I priced Swan with AAA discount (said AP not available on line), and it comes to about $1,180 for the same three nights (including the Swan resort fee and parking). I have stayed in GDP before and loved it; thought the hotel and rooms were beautiful. We already have park reservations for the days in question. I've never stayed in Swan, but do belong to Bonvoy and due to pre-covid work travel, I reached gold level. I think the swan cancellation time is shorter, but otherwise things are the same. Any thoughts as to whether I switch?

Always a personal decision but I would vote for the Swan and walk to DHS and Epcot as long as you don't need / want the extra Disney perks of MBs, Disney ME to/from Airport and the ability to charge back to your room using your MB.

As far as the cancellation window, they may be equal depending on what rate you chose at the Swan. Disney is allowing you to cancel up to day of arrival through December.

You should also check again on the AP rate as it is up to 30% vs up to 25% for AAA at the Swan.
For Reservations: Contact us at 1-888-828-8850 and ask for promotional code ANNUAL PASSHOLDER RATE or when booking online, make sure Promotional Code QWH appears in the Corporate/Promo code box. Valid/current Disney Annual Pass is required at check-in to receive this offer.
Dave

I'm in a similar situation; two rooms booked at Standard View GDT; one for me; and one for DD and her DBF. I have an AP and purchased their four day tickets. The AP rate at GDP with parking for my one car is $1,484 for three nights. I priced Swan with AAA discount (said AP not available on line), and it comes to about $1,180 for the same three nights (including the Swan resort fee and parking). I have stayed in GDP before and loved it; thought the hotel and rooms were beautiful. We already have park reservations for the days in question. I've never stayed in Swan, but do belong to Bonvoy and due to pre-covid work travel, I reached gold level. I think the swan cancellation time is shorter, but otherwise things are the same. Any thoughts as to whether I switch?
If you're travelling before the end of this year, Disney allows cancellation up until the date of check-in without penalty:

Rooms and Packages
To provide additional flexibility, we are waiving Disney-imposed change and cancellation fees up to the date of check-in for reservations with arrivals through December 31, 2020. If Guests need further assistance, they can reach us at the Disney Reservation Center through our online chat feature or by calling our reservation line.
Please note that cancellation fees imposed by third-party suppliers, including airlines and rental cars, as well as non-refundable products like travel protection plans, are deducted from refundable amounts for Walt Disney Travel Company packages.
If you did not book through Disney directly, please contact your travel professional.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter