Swan/Dolphin or Sheraton Vistana Resort

tina.tina

DIS Veteran
I read recent (June 2012) negative reviews of the Swan/Dolphin online. Reviews said rooms were outdated, in bad repair and there was a musty smell in rooms and hallways. Duck tape holding up wallpaper was mentioned. :scared1: We have reservations at the Swan next year. We're going on SPG points and chose the Swan/Dolphin over Sheraton Vistana Resort to be onsite. We're not concerned about the difference in price but we do want to stay at a nice place. I don't usually trust online reviews (bad experience) but even the good reviews mentioned the outdated rooms.

We're wondering if we should change our minds. I told DH I would do more research. DH says we need help from DIS experts. We would appreciate any advice, comments, or opinions.

Thanks! Tina

I would choose Swan for the location alone. You really cant beat being in the middle of all the action on the boardwalk. The last time I stayed there was in 2010 and it wasnt any more dated than the Beachclub villa that I stayed in last year. I would go with the Swan!

I read recent (June 2012) negative reviews of the Swan/Dolphin online. Reviews said rooms were outdated, in bad repair and there was a musty smell in rooms and hallways. Duck tape holding up wallpaper was mentioned. :scared1: We have reservations at the Swan next year. We're going on SPG points and chose the Swan/Dolphin over Sheraton Vistana Resort to be onsite. We're not concerned about the difference in price but we do want to stay at a nice place. I don't usually trust online reviews (bad experience) but even the good reviews mentioned the outdated rooms.

We're wondering if we should change our minds. I told DH I would do more research. DH says we need help from DIS experts. We would appreciate any advice, comments, or opinions.

Thanks! Tina

Swan, No doubt!

I have stayed at Sheraton Vistana and The Swan. The Vistana was a fine resort with some fun stuff for the kids to do. We had two families and were doing non-Disney stuff (Sea World) so it worked out OK....

...However, the two bedroom we stayed at was very old and worn, and more than a little in disrepair. They do have some newer places on site, so it could be a roll of the dice.

We absolutely loved the Swan. The beds were the BEST we've ever slept on at any hotel ever! We could walk to the Boardwalk and EPCOT. It is on WDW property, so you get WDW transportation. The restaurants at Swan and Dolphin are top notch...

Unless you are looking to save money, Swan has it all over Sheraton Vistana.

Oh, no doubt, the Swan or Dolphin. Personally, I love the Dolphin. The shooting stars in the lobby, the grotto pool, the boats to Epcot, Boardwalk, and DHS, the heavenly beds. I spent my 50th birthday at the Dolphin, and I still smile fondly at my memories of sitting on our balcony watching the boats and lights on the boardwalk. Oh, I could also see some of the Epcot fireworks. If only the Dolphin had Stormalong Bay, we would be going back there this year. I really loved the Dolphin. Some people say it does not have a Disney feel, but how can it not have a Disney feel when it is right in the middle of all of the Epcot area action? Frankly, I would never stay off-site. You spend too much time getting to where you want to go. Plus, all that driving around, if you have your own car with you, really takes away the Disney feel. The Swan and Dolphin keep you in the Disney bubble. Have fun.

I have been Gold or Platinum with SPG for over ten years and I'm guessing I've been to the Swan or Dolphin at least ten times in that period. I've never had a bad stay and they continue to be the resorts of choice for me when I visit Orlando. I will be visiting the Dolphin again later this month.

I have no experience with the Vistana, but it's not even on my radar. The advantages listed by other posters above explain most of the positives. The Swan and Dolphin are also typical of what one would expect from an SPG category 4 hotels.

Especially assuming you don't have some type of SPG status, I would recommend you use a few extra points if available to book a higher category room. I believe just 1,000 more points per night will get you a resort view balcony, which would minimize your already low chances of getting stuck in a bad room (and would enhance your trip anyways). If you go this route, I would call quickly, as only standard level rooms have SPG's no blackout date guarantee.

I love the Swan and Dolphin resorts. The Dolphin is my preferred resort of the two. But, I have never seen any of the things mentioned at either resort. The Swan is a beautiful resort....no duck tape in evidence and there was no musty smell anywhere. I guess you can find negative reviews of just about any resort. I think more people post negative reviews than positive ones.

Hands down Swan or Dolphin! I stay there every year, most recently in March, and saw no signs of disrepair at all. I'm sure every resort has something going wrong at any given time, and remember, people will post their negative comments & reviews 10 times more likely than positives ones.

I've never stayed at Vistana so I can't compare, but location alone would sell me on Swan/Dolphin without a second thought.

Given your choices I would stick with Swan/Dolphin. It is not my favorite resort on Dis property. I do feel there are some issues with it, like any hotel. I didn't notice duct tape or anything obvious. I would recommend that you ask for a higher floor. When I first checked in they had me on the first floor of the Dolphin and it smelled moldy and musty, it was dark, and ground level (which I don't like window wise). They moved me to the Swan on a high floor overlooking the water and the smell was gone and the room was bright. I could even open the curtains!!

We stayed at the Dolphin in May 2011 and had 3 rooms there during our stay (pictures of all are in my trip report link in my signature).

Our first room was a standard double room with a view of Tower of Terror and the pool. It was on the 8th floor on the west side, and the hallway definitely had an odd smell to it. It wasn't a bad smell, just weird. We only stayed in that room one night because we asked to upgrade to a room with a king bed.

The king bed room was nice, I don't know if it was refurbished or not. We only stayed in *that* room for one night because they accidentally put us on a floor that had fire alarm testing, so they majorly upgraded us to room #3.

Room #3 was a suite of some sort, it was larger than two rooms combined. I have pictures in my trip report. It was *really* newly refurbished, you could tell by the paint. Loved it.

I say go for Swan/Dolphin :cloud9:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest