Super Walmart shutting down ALL self checkouts...

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
by mid-October. All the ones in Northern Nevada where I live. Is this going on nationwide? They've lost millions to shoplifting, and they think going back to checkers will help. We'll see. I remember the days before self checkout became popular, there were crowded times I was at Walmart and only 4 checkout stands were open. I may just start going to WinCo instead. They have limited self checkouts, but at least I'd still get to bag my own groceries.

News to me, but I have seen where they have additional employees near the self checkouts and some of the self checkouts closed at various times.

--->
I'm not sure why they have these problems.
My grocery store chain went to self check out before Walmart and this year have expanded it even further.

I like self check out because I put my items in a particular way. Plus I usually just put the items in my bags as I'm shopping and then I just pick out each item and scan it and then put it back in.

If they are going to close self check out then they need to hire a crapload more people because right now there's usually only a couple of cashiers and the rest of the employees are shopping for pick up orders/deliveries.

My opinion is set up self check out better and have enough staff that they can keep an eye on maybe 2 self check outs at a time vs 1 person working 9 and needing to help people with register issues.

Various stores are phasing them out, Walmart has not announced a nationwide removal of them though. Many other stores are doing the same thing. Walmart had already done that some places so they have data on whether or not it worked, apparently it did.

I went to Walmart 2 weeks ago and all of the registers were closed and only self checkout was open. Took almost 40 minutes to check out due to there only being 4 self checkout stands open (the others were closed). If I didn't need the food I was buying for a party, I would've just put everything back and walked out.
I wouldn't have even put it back.

My local grocery now has 13 self checkouts. 8 are the smaller ones with just a 3’x4’ bagging area, and the other 5 are a full checkout lane you can load up the whole belt and checkout yourself. We bring our own bags in this state. They left 5 or 6 regular checkout lanes intact. The express checkout is always open and usually 2 or 3 other lanes with checkers. On weekends and holidays they’ll staff all the checker lanes. The self checkout area always has at least people managing, usually 3. The biggest problem with self checkout is the nearby automatic doors setting off the bag area sensors, and you must wait for an employee to clear it before continuing checkout. The biggest problem on the customer end is not realizing the bag weight sensors stop working correctly after a certain weight has been exceeded, and that’ll keep causing issues.

I’m ok with all of it :laughing: Bringing my own bags was an unforeseen major advantage. So much easier now to load up my car, carry inside and unpack. I’ve learned not to use the self checkouts too close to the door and make sure not to checkout my heaviest stuff until last. My only complaint is I cannot remember the last time I shopped under $200 for a week of groceries and long gone is the shock of crossing $300. The first few times was 😲 Now 🤷‍♀️

I'm not sure why they have these problems.
My grocery store chain went to self check out before Walmart and this year have expanded it even further.

I like self check out because I put my items in a particular way. Plus I usually just put the items in my bags as I'm shopping and then I just pick out each item and scan it and then put it back in.

If they are going to close self check out then they need to hire a crapload more people because right now there's usually only a couple of cashiers and the rest of the employees are shopping for pick up orders/deliveries.

My opinion is set up self check out better and have enough staff that they can keep an eye on maybe 2 self check outs at a time vs 1 person working 9 and needing to help people with register issues.

I went to Walmart last week. Every check out with a cashier was completely full. And the self-checkout line went halfway to the back of the store as all 20 checkouts were being used. I think there was only about 2-3 staff people at the self-checkouts. I needed one of them as one of my items wouldn't ring up properly. So, they could definitely use extra people helping watch and deal with the self-checkouts.

Last edited:
I went to Walmart 2 weeks ago and all of the registers were closed and only self checkout was open. Took almost 40 minutes to check out due to there only being 4 self checkout stands open (the others were closed). If I didn't need the food I was buying for a party, I would've just put everything back and walked out.
I went to our Neighborhood Market mid-morning on a Sunday and only self check. No big conveyor belt lanes either. Just those tiny stands with a small square spot to put your bags. We had an entire cart full of groceries, over $200. I came very close to walking out.

The closest walmart to me has been predominately self-checkout since we've moved 10 years ago. Several times they've remodeled to increase the amount of self-check outs available. They've removed multiple regular check outs just for self-check out on the last remodel several years ago. Works fine at least from customer standpoint as there was usually a long line for self-check out even with regular checkout being open before they expanded the number of self check outs, so at least at this specific location the customers prefer that option.

I'm more likely to walk out of a store that doesn't have self check out open, it irks me when the Target doesn't have their opens and based on the grumbling from other people waiting in line it irks them too.

I actually hated it when Walmart started doing self-checkouts, but now I don't want to go back. At my Super Walmart the self-checkout is pretty large so it takes a LOT less time to do than regular checkout, which used to take forever because they'd only have a couple of check stands open. Also they have the weight sensor in the bagging area turned OFF so it's not a constant delicate battle of "don't touch anything in the wrong way or put your bag down without setting it off and needing an attendant to come and deal with it". Honestly, that's my pet peeve about self-checkout at other stores, the dang ridiculous weight sensors. "Unexpected item in bagging area" :furious:

I would only be okay with Walmart removing self-checkout if they made sure they had plenty of regular check stands open, but fat chance of that. And while they're at it maybe if they think that will save them soooooo much money, they can stop arbitrarily locking up the most ridiculous things behind glass. But that's another topic.

I always joke that it is against local ordinance to have every self-checkout register working. At least one must be down, lest they get fined! 🤣

I hope not. I like self checkout and use it every store I can. Very rarely is there a line, but there usually is for a register. There were also always lines for registers even before self checkout it seemed. Love getting out quicker with self checkout!

I went to our Neighborhood Market mid-morning on a Sunday and only self check. No big conveyor belt lanes either. Just those tiny stands with a small square spot to put your bags. We had an entire cart full of groceries, over $200. I came very close to walking out.
All you have to do is ask for someone to check you out and they will open a check stand. Under ADA they HAVE to do that. And of course, they have to do that if you have alcohol, since you can't buy that at a self check.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest