Summer experience/perk DVC teaser **Welcome Home Weeks**

Yeah, it’s better than nothing but not amazing.

I’ll have to make my large group earn one the 4 ice creams. I’ll have to figure out a challenge for them.

Sad, it’s all well after we come and go, typical 🤷🏼‍♀️ hope those who experience enjoy! One time use is better than no time use lol

Reactions: ehh
It says you have to have a park reservation but what do you do if you have tickets that dont require you make a reservation?

It says you have to have a park reservation but what do you do if you have tickets that dont require you make a reservation?

No tickets require reservations anymore, only annual passes. The reservation thing only applies to annual passholders.

We'll be at Saratoga Springs during this promotion -- yay! -- though I see on the DVC website that it's limited to one per person per week.

It's a nice freebie, but really nothing earth-shattering. One of those promos where the main purpose is just to check the box, so sales guides have something to point to in order to build excitement in prospective buyers.

If you're a member, you get free ice cream and exclusive meet-and-greets!

Never mind how restricted it is or how unlikely it is that they will ever actually get to experience the perks, it creates an extra sense of FOMO and gives them another emotional reason to buy direct.

All that said -- I'd expect PVB points to start selling around July 22nd. =p

The last week of August is quite unpopular, it's strange they stop the perks on the 24th.
Anyway, small perks, but nice for people who'll be there. I bet the idea of giving out ice creams in plain sight of normal guests is to create the maximum amount of FOMO on non DVC members.

We'll be at Saratoga Springs during this promotion -- yay! -- though I see on the DVC website that it's limited to one per person per week.

It's a nice freebie, but really nothing earth-shattering. One of those promos where the main purpose is just to check the box, so sales guides have something to point to in order to build excitement in prospective buyers.

If you're a member, you get free ice cream and exclusive meet-and-greets!

Never mind how restricted it is or how unlikely it is that they will ever actually get to experience the perks, it creates an extra sense of FOMO and gives them another emotional reason to buy direct.

All that said -- I'd expect PVB points to start selling around July 22nd. =p
I think it shows that someone had a meeting with an agenda of “what are some things we can do to move the needle on “surprise and delight” with our direct members besides just backpacks, buttons, and stickers that won’t break the bank and will build some good will as we try and sell points at 5 active properties….

I appreciate the effort because I definitely do not need another backpack or buttons…. and I can’t wait to watch my 14/15 yr old teenage son try to hula 🤣

Is it typical that the AP V.I.Passholder days discounts are much better than DVC? We usually travel in August but had to switch to June this year - the 20% table service dining discount through 6/26 is pretty generous - I was shocked to see the restaurants that made the list - can be a huge cost savings over an extended trip.

Is it typical that the AP V.I.Passholder days discounts are much better than DVC? We usually travel in August but had to switch to June this year - the 20% table service dining discount through 6/26 is pretty generous - I was shocked to see the restaurants that made the list - can be a huge cost savings over an extended trip.
I think that Disney Parks offers the dining discounts to APs in order to sell more APs and/or bring in demand to restaurants during slower seasons, so the division that owns the profit is paying for the discount.

Whereas DVC likely has to pay for their discounts as a marketing expense to sell more DVC. I doubt the Parks are really trying to sell more quick-service dining -- they aren't sitting empty in August! -- and DVC may have to pay for the value of the discounts members use. They just want another thing on the list of membership extras. "Save 20% on Quick Service dining!" sounds like an amazing perk when you're trying to justify a huge cash outlay, especially if you don't realize it's a one-time-use discount that may not ever be repeated again.

Not to be too cynical, I am glad I'll be able to use the perk on my August trip, and it makes me feel good. But it comes out of a Marketing budget because it's a marketing expense!

I think that Disney Parks offers the dining discounts to APs in order to sell more APs and/or bring in demand to restaurants during slower seasons, so the division that owns the profit is paying for the discount.

Whereas DVC likely has to pay for their discounts as a marketing expense to sell more DVC. I doubt the Parks are really trying to sell more quick-service dining -- they aren't sitting empty in August! -- and DVC may have to pay for the value of the discounts members use. They just want another thing on the list of membership extras. "Save 20% on Quick Service dining!" sounds like an amazing perk when you're trying to justify a huge cash outlay, especially if you don't realize it's a one-time-use discount that may not ever be repeated again.

Not to be too cynical, I am glad I'll be able to use the perk on my August trip, and it makes me feel good. But it comes out of a Marketing budget because it's a marketing expense!
That’s also why you have to be DVC-Y to get it…. because it’s the DVC-Ys who have paid into it….

IMO, there is no "typical" when it comes to unique, limited time promos. However the motivations here are much different.

With ~5500 DVC villas at WDW, there are roughly the same number of people staying on-site year round. In terms of potential audience, it doesn't really matter if they schedule this for August, October, December, etc. The number of rooms is the same, and thus the number of participating members is about the same. Welcome Home Weeks is basically a "warm fuzzy" for DVC members. It's a few modest perks which doesn't totally break the bank. (Or if you favor the more devious viewpoint, the goal is to sell more DVC points by giving non-owners FOMO and making current owners want to visit more often.)

Annual Passholders are a different animal. Most are likely locals. And the goal with a limited-time dining discount is to get them spending a little more money on WDW during a period when the parks may be slow-ish.

facebook twitter