• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Staying at FW with an EDV?

TurnR@TheMouseHouse

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking of taking my father to FW this year for Christmas. He does not normally use an ECV but I know if he is going to go to parks he will need one. He has very little stamina for long walks. I know he will love Disney at Christmas time and I'm trying to plan a special time this year, as my mother died two years ago. I need to do something other than eat diner and then sit around pretending it's not christmas. :sad2:

My concern is that he really enjoy himself. Do those of you who have stayed in an RV find getting around FW and to the parks with a ECV a realativly simple process? We have stayed in my RV at FW before but we did not really do much. I did drive him around to all the resorts and take boats and he really enjoyed that. He was not to crazy about the monorail. But I think that's because the tram stopped on the big curve between GF and CR and he is not crazy about heights. He has only been to the MK once in 1972, so there is much for him to see.

I have seen many people in the parks in ECV's but I have not seen many in FW. Any comments would be appreciated. :wave:

TurnR@TheMouseHouse said:
I'm thinking of taking my father to FW this year for Christmas. He does not normally use an ECV but I know if he is going to go to parks he will need one. He has very little stamina for long walks. I know he will love Disney at Christmas time and I'm trying to plan a special time this year, as my mother died two years ago. I need to do something other than eat dinner and then sit around pretending it's not christmas.

Hi, TurnR@TheMouseHouse. That is so nice of you. And there are so many things to do in December at WDW. Every resort and park is surrounded with bright Christmas lights and Christmas trees and Christmas music, Christmas shows.

For instance, the MK has a large Christmas tree near the flag pole at the front of the MK park. And at night, the MK Mainstreet is surrounded in christmas lights. The MK Country Bear show is a special Christmas version all December. So many new things to see. And don't forget those resorts with large lobbies. They have huge three to five story decorated Christmas trees like the Wilderness Lodge, and Grand Floridian, and Dolphin Resort. And outside the Contemporary Resort. And all of the parks. You won't have enough time to visit everything.

My concern is that he really enjoy himself. Do those of you who have stayed in an RV find getting around FW and to the parks with a ECV a realativly simple process? We have stayed in my RV at FW before but we did not really do much. I did drive him around to all the resorts and take boats and he really enjoyed that. He was not to crazy about the monorail. But I think that's because the tram stopped on the big curve between GF and CR and he is not crazy about heights. He has only been to the MK once in 1972, so there is much for him to see.

I rented a scooter from an outside rental company for the first time and I thouroughly enjoyed myself on going everywhere outside and inside the parks, but mainly outside the parks. I could take all of those trails that regular walkers could take and was thrilled at all the things that I never saw before.

I'm sure that someone will be able to help you here that has used a scooter at WC. I will be going again in September for four days, and I will make a point of going to WC and explore. I spent seven days exploring every single day last time and the WC was one of the places that I didn't make it to.

Let me know what experiences that you would like to know about concerning a scooter and WC and I will let you know what I found out.

I have another thread below about my experience in renting a scooter if that would help and Sue has an excellent sticky above.

I have seen many people in the parks in ECV's but I have not seen many in FW. Any comments would be appreciated.

Alright all of you campers, give it up. Let us hear your experiences.

Sincerely, Ray

I am sure the interior busses are all set up to take an ECV, then you'd just transfer to a park bus, at one end of FW or the other. Because my DS loves having a golf cart to zoom around the campground in, I've always just rented an ECV at the parks. If you had an ECV at your campsite, you'd just plug it in to recharge at the box where your RV's plugged in (and cover it in case of rain?). You know how huge the campground is, so I can't picture actually riding your ECV say to the pool or the Hoop De Doo from your loop, but I suppose it would be possible! Good luck, and an ECV for someone who needs it is really a godsend.
Terri

I have ridden my power wheelchair from the Pioneer Hall area all the wat up to the cabin area at least once. While it was doable it wasn't the easiest because the walkways were poorly lit and it would be easy to tip it as the walks are not always flat to the ground.

I ride hubby's ECV all over Ft. Wilderness when I stay there every December tent camping. I stay in Loop 1500 and drive it to either the Outpost or the Settlement to head for the buses or boats, or if I'm going to Trails End to eat. Since my trip is always in December, I also ride the scooter around Ft. Wilderness looking at and taking pictures of all of the wonderful light displays that the campers set up.

I have a gas grill cover that I use to cover it at night while it's charging and also while it is parked at golf cart parking while I'm at the parks.

Yes, some of the sidewalks are a bit bumpy, and it took me a couple of days to figure out where to cross the street to get where I was going in Ft. Wilderness, but it saved me oodles of time over waiting on the internal buses. If you have the inclination to ride a bicyle, I would recommend skipping the internal buses and ride your bicyle with him on his ECV around Ft. Wilderness.

I normally don't take it to the parks for myself during these December trips, but when hubby takes it on our family trips when we stay at All-Stars, he has no trouble getting it on the buses and getting around all of WDW.

Also, if they state that the water levels are too low for the boats to Magic Kingdom, your best bet is to take the walking/bicycle path over to Wilderness Lodge, then catch the direct bus to Magic Kingdom from there. (Unless they have changed that route again).

If the ECV doesn't have a built in headlight, I would recommend keeping a flashlight or headlamp in the basket. I actually took a headlamp and strapped it permanently to the front handlebars. Just remember to turn off the light when you park it, so the batteries don't run down.

I hope this helps you.

Carol

clkelley said:
If the ECV doesn't have a built in headlight, I would recommend keeping a flashlight or headlamp in the basket. I actually took a headlamp and strapped it permanently to the front handlebars. Just remember to turn off the light when you park it, so the batteries don't run down.

I hope this helps you.

Carol
I keep forgetting to bring this, but I have seen people with flexible flashlights called "Snakelights" attached to their wheelchairs or ecvs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter