Star Wars Land compared to Pandora?

DisneyDad2015

Mouseketeer
So I got to thinking today, and the huge popularity of Pandora has me wondering how will the size of the land compare from Star Wars Land to Pandora?

These recent reports of 30-70 minute waits just to get into Pandora have me hoping that SWL will be significantly larger. If a movie that was only decent and doesn’t have a huge following can pull this many people to Pandora, can you imagine what SWL and that fan base will make Hollywood Studios look like? I hope Disney is prepared for the mass hysteria that is going to ensue lol.

In terms of size Star Wars is 14 acres and Pandora is 10-11. However the show buildings for the attractions will take up a huge amount of this land.

They will have waits to get into the land for sure. I think Pandora was a bit of a test for how to handle Star Wars.

So I got to thinking today, and the huge popularity of Pandora has me wondering how will the size of the land compare from Star Wars Land to Pandora?

These recent reports of 30-70 minute waits just to get into Pandora have me hoping that SWL will be significantly larger. If a movie that was only decent and doesn’t have a huge following can pull this many people to Pandora, can you imagine what SWL and that fan base will make Hollywood Studios look like? I hope Disney is prepared for the mass hysteria that is going to ensue lol.

If you want to ride on of the Star Wars land rides within the first 6 months, I recommend getting in line now. ;)

I remember waiting in crazy lines for Harry Potter land but I think that this will be much worse. I wonder where they will have people line up? I see nothing but pandemonium but I hope that I'm wrong.

I actually don't think Pandora is a good comparison. I think the overall acreage of the parks is too skewed to compare. I don't know how Hollywood Studio is set up but DL doesn't have room for hours of lines.
Respectfully, even Pete who was a huge fan of James Cameron and Joe Rhode and believed in Pandora got busy and it took him several weeks to get to it. Yes, he loved it but people got to Pandora as personal time and trips permitted. I don't see that with Star Wars. I have never seen a Star Wars movie from start to finish and I still respect the gravity of the fandom.
If DL does open first, which still seems likely, I think the fever is strong enough some normal WDW goers will come West rather then wait and add to the already large draw.
I think Pandora lines would last until 3 AM or so? At DL, where rides like IASW pull 120 minute waits with no reasonable explanation, I easily see DL at closing time with lines to Star Wars that some nights will last until the sun comes up. I don't see any way around that without upsetting guests.

Last edited:
I think Pandora lines would last until 3 AM or so? At DL, where rides like IASW pull 120 minute waits with no reasonable explanation, I easily see DL at closing time with lines to Star Wars that some nights will last until the sun comes up. I don't see any way around that without upsetting guests.
They’ll have policies to prevent that. They cut off lines on Pandora at certain times so guests and CMs wouldn’t be there past 2-3AM. Disney isn’t going to have guests in the park until sunrise when they need to get after hours work in especially at Disneyland. There is no way.

I agree with you completely in theory but DL has a rumored capacity of 50,000-85,000 depending on CM staffing pre Star Wars, possibly more after. Let's say that's doesn't change and only HALF the guests want to ride a Star Wars ride (which is low IMO). That's like 30,000 people. If 30,000 show up near rope drop to see this new land and have traveled from all other, I don't...it just gets messy fast. I know that.
It boggles my mind. I don't think it's enough to close the lines four hours before closing. Something more will have to be done. But I am sure they are working on it.

I agree with you completely in theory but DL has a rumored capacity of 50,000-85,000 depending on CM staffing pre Star Wars, possibly more after. Let's say that's doesn't change and only HALF the guests want to ride a Star Wars ride (which is low IMO). That's like 30,000 people. If 30,000 show up near rope drop to see this new land and have traveled from all other, I don't...it just gets messy fast. I know that.
It boggles my mind. I don't think it's enough to close the lines four hours before closing. Something more will have to be done. But I am sure they are working on it.
I always say this in regards to the studio. That park is incredibly small and has a lot of tight spaces and I can almost guarantee they’ll be closing to capacity on a semi regular basis once Star Wars opens. Disney needs to streamline a phase 2 ASAP imo

I always say this in regards to the studio. That park is incredibly small and has a lot of tight spaces and I can almost guarantee they’ll be closing to capacity on a semi regular basis once Star Wars opens. Disney needs to streamline a phase 2 ASAP imo
Part of the reason they built Grand Avenue the way they did was to have a controlled entrance. From what I’ve heard Toy story lands SWL Entrance will be an exit for a while. Then the Grand Avenue entrance will Be Entrance only. They kind of did this with Pandora having the Africa entrance as an exit only at select times.

And I really, really hope they cap the number of people in the land - and that the cap is relatively low. They stress how there will be all this stuff to do and CMs to interact with and roaming droids and stuff - but if it is so crowded you can't even move how much good does it do?

Also why I can see hard ticketed events that get you exclusive access to the lands being very popular (and very expensive)

Part of the reason they built Grand Avenue the way they did was to have a controlled entrance. From what I’ve heard Toy story lands SWL Entrance will be an exit for a while. Then the Grand Avenue entrance will Be Entrance only. They kind of did this with Pandora having the Africa entrance as an exit only at select times.
Makes sense, but the park in of itself can’t handle a Star Wars level crowd simply because of its small footprint. If they’re smart they start working on more expansions once GE is up and running, but I’m not expecting it

I have mixed feelings about hard tickets being the answer. The primary problem being HS and DL are not equal as they stand. DL is a full park and needs all it's operating hours and can't just close early for weeks on end. So what do you charge and where and for how many hours and how many weeks?
In my mind you need to filter people before the turnstile i.e. once they enter and paid they will feel entitled to see the land before leaving and also to prevent mass line ups all for one small fraction of the park while other parts are neglected. (Fire code violations)
But how does a CM at the turnstile filter people and say..."So you decided to come at the worse time possible in history just to ride the teacups right?"
I find it such a complicated and intriguing business decision.

It's too bad they can't keep Star Wars open 24 hours a day for a while. I'd happily go have my lunch and ride at 4am to avoid people.

I am going to tell you right now that Disney screwed the pooch on this like they did with Pandora. Only two major attractions and one of them being more intense, it is a safe bet that we will see 3-4 hour lines for the one ride for a good year or two after opening. The one factor that could help them, aside from Toy Story Land, is if they opened the new rides in MK and Epcot during the same time period, which I doubt will happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter