Spring into a New Beginning- APRIL 2017 WISH Lifestyle/Weight Challenge

MommaoffherRocker

DIS Veteran
Welcome to the April 2017 WISH lifestyle/ weight challenge thread!!

giphy.gif

This month we are going to focus on new beginnings and who better to draw inspiration from than the man who started in all,
Walt Disney. Walt had many new beginnings, he also had many failures and successes. I am sure we can all relate to him and his journey.

Walt_Disney_1946.JPG

So come on in and claim your spot as we make a fresh start this spring!

All our welcome to join in!

How does it work? You pick a goal, any goal (some examples are weight loss, daily steps, water intake). Then keep track of your progress throughout the month. You can share as little or as much as you want. On Mondays, if you choose to post your percentage, I will post everyone's result.

Share your progress with us along the way and watch the color of your name change throughout the month!

PERCENTAGE TOWARD GOAL

1% -10%
11% - 20%
21% - 30%
31% - 40%

41% - 50%
51% - 60%

61% - 70%
71% - 80%

81% - 90%
91% - 99%

100% OR MORE!

During the week I will post questions to help you think about your journey and hopefully inspire you to become a new you. I will also post one fun weekend question to keep the conversation going.

March was my first month of joining the WISH thread and I failed to give weekly updates on my progress.
Maybe April I'll check in more often.
My goal for March was to have the scale say 169lbs by the time I leave for WDW on April 7th.
It currently says 170lbs so I've lost 5lbs since the first Monday in March and I have 1 week to get to my goal of losing just 1 more pound so I'm really hoping my weight doesn't yo-yo a ton in the next week. :)
Beyond that I am not making a huge goal for this month because with going to WDW and road trippin' it down there and back, and then Easter my normal diet and exercise routine is going to be out the window.
I am hoping though that by the time I go to DLR in late June I've reached my ultimate goal of weighing 162lbs or less.

Welcome to the April 2017 WISH lifestyle/ weight challenge thread!!

This month we are going to focus on new beginnings and who better to draw inspiration from than the man who started in all, Walt Disney. Walt had many new beginnings, he also had many failures and successes. I am sure we can all relate to him and his journey.

So come on in and claim your spot as we make a fresh start this spring!

Wowza.... great theme! How have we overlooked the ULTIMATE THEME all these months/years? LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!

I'm here to officially claim my spot for April. Not feeling real "spring like" as I awoke to at least 10 inches of fresh snow and it is still falling hard. Mother Nature has a CRUEL sense of humor on this April Fool's day!

Looking forward to finding some NEW motivation today and this month. I lingered the ENTIRE month of March above my goal weight and I'm NOT happy with myself or my weight. Time to get back to my "week one" mentality.... weighing/measuring EVERYTHING, creating new LIGHT delicious recipes, eliminating the BLTs (bites, licks, tastes) that don't get properly counted/tracked, getting my weekly "splurge" meals back on track (they've turned into splurge weekends a few times! :sad2:), eating too much after 6pm and not enough before 1pm (like evening snacks that cost me more SmartPoints than breakfast AND lunch combined!).... and time to dust off the treadmill and get out of the EXCUSES ZONE as far as my exercise is concerned.

So PLENTY of changes to work on for April! I'll be back later to see who else is joining us for April!..........P

Now that April has official begun let's all take a moment to get to know each other. Introduce yourself and to shake things up tell us you favorite Disney memory, it could be anything from your first trip to Disney World to watching a Disney movie that inspired you. Also, please share your goal for the month, anything that may get in your way and how you're going to overcome it.

goals.jpg

I'm Melanie, a SAH mom from FL with 5 kids (age ranges are 2-10). When my youngest was born I took up running to lose weight and have lost 28lbs on top of the baby weight. I would like to lose about 30lbs more.

This month my goal is to lose 5 lbs. Things that are going to get in my way are myself (I love sugar and really food in general), Easter and a trip to WDW with a good friend, her DS11 and my DS10 (so excited the boys are penpals and will be meeting for the first time!!) I'm going to overcome these things by reminding myself how good it feels when the scales moves down when I want to eat everything. Also I am going to use the napkin trick to cover my food so I don't pick when we eat out.

My favorite Disney memory would have to be the marathon this past January. When I started training 9 months before the actual event I chose Walt's quote "It's kinda fun to do the impossible" as my mantra. It was a perfect fit because my dad told me the marathon was impossible for me. So on race day I wore the quote on my shirt. I went into the marathon so scared. I didn't want to be pulled from the course for being too slow. But a couple miles into the race I was determined to not only finish but to have fun. I rode the roller coaster, I high fived people, I made friends with another girl who was struggling. It was amazing! I finished that marathon as strong as when I started. I did the impossible. I proved to myself and my dad that I could do anything that I wanted to do!!

Now that April has official begun let's all take a moment to get to know each other. Introduce yourself and to shake things up tell us you favorite Disney memory, it could be anything from your first trip to Disney World to watching a Disney movie that inspired you. Also, please share your goal for the month, anything that may get in your way and how you're going to overcome it.

My favorite Disney memory..... I have LOTS and it is hard to narrow it down! I'm going to give you TWO because I can't decide. My first trip to Disney was a family trip to Florida with my parents, brother, and maternal grandparents in 1974 when I was 10 years old. It was a trip of MANY firsts for me.... first airplane ride, first hotel stay, first time out of the New England states. We were heading to several Florida locations (Busch Gardens, Sea World, visiting family friends), but as a kiddo brought up on the Sunday night "Wonderful World of Disney" on television, it was that portion that I was MOST excited about. The most prevalent memory of that particular trip was not being able to sleep the night before the trip. I had a Mickey/Disney alarm clock and I remember looking at it many, many times throughout that night! I was just like that Disney commercial "I'm too excited to sleep!" !! I could share LOTS of neat memories from that trip.... but sometimes it is hard to tell what is a TRUE memory and what I "remember" from looking at the pictures and movies.... YES, I am lucky enough to have MOVIES from that first trip! My Mom had them transferred to VHS in the early 1980's and I get a crazy thrill from watching it!

Second memory..... we were in DISNEYLAND as a family (DH, DD, DS and myself) in 2005. We had traveled to NM for a family wedding and I pushed HARD to make the trip an opportunity to visit more things out west.... so in our limited time and on our limited budget we saw the Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, a bit of Las Vegas (as much as you can see in one night), and then on to DISNEYLAND! We had just 3 days there, but we were determined to make the most of it.

On day #1 we were sitting on a curb in the hub area waiting for the afternoon Parade of Dreams to start. I was truly just grateful to the entire UNIVERSE that I was able to live a DREAM of mine and visit Disneyland (and during the week of the 50th anniversary to boot!)... and being there with my KIDS just made it beyond a dream!! While we were waiting the "Welcome" song from Brother Bear played ("Happy-to-be time") and cast members came out into the street and started playing games with the kids who were waiting..... and my kids got right up and started dancing in the street. I was absolutely OVERCOME and OVERWHELMED with happiness.... I couldn't believe I was SO LUCKY to be there in the sunshine of California, in Walt's ORIGINAL park, with that beautiful song.... oh my gosh, I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I actually cried sitting there on that curb that day. BEST. MEMORY. EVER.

Goal for April.... to get back to ONE POUND under my goal weight. As of this morning's weigh-in that means I need to lose 5.8 pounds. I will tell you it will be a struggle. Because I am older and been at my goal weight for so long, the few extra pounds I do struggle with at times tend to really hang around! So my PLAN to reach this goal will be forthcoming, after some thought and planning here on my end.

I'm Melanie, a SAH mom from FL with 5 kids (age ranges are 2-10). When my youngest was born I took up running to lose weight and have lost 28lbs on top of the baby weight. I would like to lose about 30lbs more.

This month my goal is to lose 5 lbs. Things that are going to get in my way are myself (I love sugar and really food in general), Easter and a trip to WDW with a good friend, her DS11 and my DS10 (so excited the boys are penpals and will be meeting for the first time!!) I'm going to overcome these things by reminding myself how good it feels when the scales moves down when I want to eat everything. Also I am going to use the napkin trick to cover my food so I don't pick when we eat out.

My favorite Disney memory would have to be the marathon this past January. When I started training 9 months before the actual event I chose Walt's quote "It's kinda fun to do the impossible" as my mantra. It was a perfect fit because my dad told me the marathon was impossible for me. So on race day I wore the quote on my shirt. I went into the marathon so scared. I didn't want to be pulled from the course for being too slow. But a couple miles into the race I was determined to not only finish but to have fun. I rode the roller coaster, I high fived people, I made friends with another girl who was struggling. It was amazing! I finished that marathon as strong as when I started. I did the impossible. I proved to myself and my dad that I could do anything that I wanted to do!!

What an AMAZING Disney memory. You had fun and encouraged others... can't beat that! And you proved that quote to be so true! It was FUN to prove that you could do it!

Hey all.... snow continues to fall heavily here.... I'm pretty sure we are up to at least 12" so far and it is supposed to snow all day. I'm just planning to stay home and stay busy at my scrapbook table and maybe do some cooking prep for the week ahead.

BBL to check on the chatter!........P

Last edited:
My favorite Disney memory..... I have LOTS and it is hard to narrow it down! I'm going to give you TWO because I can't decide. My first trip to Disney was a family trip to Florida with my parents, brother, and maternal grandparents in 1974 when I was 10 years old. It was a trip of MANY firsts for me.... first airplane ride, first hotel stay, first time out of the New England states. We were heading to several Florida locations (Busch Gardens, Sea World, visiting family friends), but as a kiddo brought up on the Sunday night "Wonderful World of Disney" on television, it was that portion that I was MOST excited about. The most prevalent memory of that particular trip was not being able to sleep the night before the trip. I had a Mickey/Disney alarm clock and I remember looking at it many, many times throughout that night! I was just like that Disney commercial "I'm too excited to sleep!" !! I could share LOTS of neat memories from that trip.... but sometimes it is hard to tell what is a TRUE memory and what I "remember" from looking at the pictures and movies.... YES, I am lucky enough to have MOVIES from that first trip! My Mom had them transferred to VHS in the early 1980's and I get a crazy thrill from watching it!

Second memory..... we were in DISNEYLAND as a family (DH, DD, DS and myself) in 2005. We had traveled to NM for a family wedding and I pushed HARD to make the trip an opportunity to visit more things out west.... so in our limited time and on our limited budget we saw the Petrified Forest, Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam, a bit of Las Vegas (as much as you can see in one night), and then on to DISNEYLAND! We had just 3 days there, but we were determined to make the most of it.

On day #1 we were sitting on a curb in the hub area waiting for the afternoon Parade of Dreams to start. I was truly just grateful to the entire UNIVERSE that I was able to live a DREAM of mine and visit Disneyland (and during the week of the 50th anniversary to boot!)... and being there with my KIDS just made it beyond a dream!! While we were waiting the "Welcome" song from Brother Bear played ("Happy-to-be time") and cast members came out into the street and started playing games with the kids who were waiting..... and my kids got right up and started dancing in the street. I was absolutely OVERCOME and OVERWHELMED with happiness.... I couldn't believe I was SO LUCKY to be there in the sunshine of California, in Walt's ORIGINAL park, with that beautiful song.... oh my gosh, I'm tearing up just thinking about it. I actually cried sitting there on that curb that day. BEST. MEMORY. EVER.

I love that you chose a memory from your childhood and also a memory of your children, it feels like a full circle moment for you!

Goal for April.... to get back to ONE POUND under my goal weight. As of this morning's weigh-in that means I need to lose 5.8 pounds. I will tell you it will be a struggle. Because I am older and been at my goal weight for so long, the few extra pounds I do struggle with at times tend to really hang around! So my PLAN to reach this goal will be forthcoming, after some thought and planning here on my end.
Good luck with your goal this month :) I was listening to an interesting podcast the other day and the guest was talking about how after you lose weight you will always require fewer calories to maintain your weight than someone that has always been that same weight. I feel like that explains so much (well at least I hope that explains it hahaha)

What an AMAZING Disney memory. You had fun and encouraged others... can't beat that! And you proved that quote to be so true! It was FUN to prove that you could do it!
Thanks! When you make things fun it is amazing how much easier they are.

snow continues to fall heavily here
I can't believe it is snowing again! I feel like this is mother nature's April Fool's joke! Stay Warm :cold:

My goal for this month is to drink at least 64 oz of pure or fruit infused water a day. I have been slacking on this the past 2-3 weeks. My mind has not been on the introduction yesterday and today as yesterday morning when I opened my email there was a message from my local home education support group president regarding what was a horrible situation that could have been much worse. I am not at liberty to say much more but I will say that people who are in such a hurry they have to tailgate are worthy of a Pete rant.

Last edited:
Good morning! I am back at work today and the kids are back at school so I have some time to write my introduction and my goals for the month.

My name is Stephanie, I am 37 and have been married for 12 years. I have 2 kids. DS will be 11 on Friday and DD is 9. They keep me pretty busy. I have been on the wish board for a year now. I lost 10 pounds last year (Starting Jan of 2015) and was doing really good in January and February this year. I was down a total of 15 pounds at the beginning of March. March kind of feel apart for me and I think I am back to the total of 10 pounds lost.

This month I am going to have a goal of 2 pounds. With Easter and my sons birthday there are way to many chances to eat not so good. I have gotten back on the wagon and worked out first thing Saturday morning. Unfortunately I went to bed on Saturday with a massive headache and woke up with it yesterday. Motrin is only helping to take the edge off so I can function but it still has not gone away. I am pretty sure my birth control pills are causing these massive headaches but I am on them for other reasons so I am pretty much damned if I do and damned it I don't. Hopefully this headache will be gone this afternoon so I can work out.

baby disney.jpeg

Walter Elias Disney was born December 5, 1901. He the fourth of five children in his family. Although he was born in Chicago, IL, Walt's father wanted a better life for his family so they to Marceline, MO in 1905. Marceline had a great impact on Walt's life. Infact Main Street USA was inspired by the small town. It was there the family became farmers. Also in Marceline, Walt's love of art started to show. In the book Walt Disney An American Original by Bob Thomas there is a story that Walt's sister tells about him drawing with tar on the side of their house. They thought it would come off but it wouldn't budge, their father was very angry and it was still on the house when they sold it.

Just like Walt, where we grew up can affect us for the rest of our lives. How does where your from affect you? Maybe you're from a region that eats lots of fried food or maybe from where hiking is a way of life. Do you still live in that kind of area or have you moved on?

Bonus question- Where were you born?

I was born and raised in southern Maryland. That area is known for its seafood, especially blue crabs. Seafood is good for you BUT not they way they served it. It was always fried. I love anything fried and I still battle fried foods. I have learned to go for the grilled option even when I don't want to and it's not bad. Sometimes it is even better because then you don't have that heavy gross feeling afterwards.

Apparently a stomach bug has made it's way into our house and made for an interesting night :faint: here's hoping everyone doesn't get it :crazy2:

Walter Elias Disney was born December 5, 1901. He the fourth of five children in his family. Although he was born in Chicago, IL, Walt's father wanted a better life for his family so they to Marceline, MO in 1905. Marceline had a great impact on Walt's life. Infact Main Street USA was inspired by the small town. It was there the family became farmers. Also in Marceline, Walt's love of art started to show. In the book Walt Disney An American Original by Bob Thomas there is a story that Walt's sister tells about him drawing with tar on the side of their house. They thought it would come off but it wouldn't budge, their father was very angry and it was still on the house when they sold it.

Just like Walt, where we grew up can affect us for the rest of our lives. How does where your from affect you? Maybe you're from a region that eats lots of fried food or maybe from where hiking is a way of life. Do you still live in that kind of area or have you moved on?

Bonus question- Where were you born?

I grew up in a town that wasn't in the county but close enough. It is about an hour south of Cleveland. It was a big town with a small town feel to it. I graduated with over 500 students and I knew most of them. Everyone seemed to know everyone. My mom was a 6th grade teacher at one point and When I was in high school all of her students could pick me out in my marching band uniform (we had about 100 students in the marching band). I could not get away with anything.

I would say the most affect that this had on me is I was kind of sheltered in my town and very comfortable there. I am not comfortable being in the big city. I would much rather be on the outskirts of the country. Many in our area moved here from WV and our grandparents only know how to cook with bacon fat. That has changed as we know that this kind of cooking is not good for us.

I have moved a little further north. I am now in more of a suburban area and in the middle of a college town. It is a small town. Much small then the one I grew up in. Our school district is made up of 3 cities and I am pretty sure my kids will only graduate with about 200 kids. The district I grew up in had 6 elementary schools 2 middle schools (now 3) and one huge high school. My kids have 3 elementary school (one in each city) 1 5-6th grade building and 1 7-9th grade building (soon to be 1 5th-8th grade building) and 1 high school.

Introduction:

My name is Magdalene, I am 45 and used to be a fat kid and teenager in the 70s and 80s when all kids were skinny. I managed to lose a lot of weight during college when I finally got my act together and have been floating at the upper range of a healthy BMI to slightly overweight most of the time. A few times I went back to nearly obese, but managed to get down again. I somehow have spent most years in my adult life trying to lose weight. But I am starting to think that I am maybe truly just a maintainer. My problem is that I am maintaining at a lever that I am not totally comfortable with. But also maybe not uncomfortable enough either to want to put in the hard work. Over the last few months I have tried all kind of goals and last month did not have a goal at all. I think this month I need to try to myself going again (I am currently higer than my usual weight) and think setting a weight loss goal would be good for me. So, I am comitting to losing 2 kg (4.4 pounds) this month!

My favourite Disney memory: In 1995 my sister and I went on our first trip to Disneyland Paris. It was the summer that their Space Mountain opened. As part of our package at one of the official hotels we got special tickets for one pre-park opening morning in Discoveryland to ride Space Mountain. It also included breakfast in the park. Somehow it was really empty when we were there just when they opened and we just walked onto the ride. It was my sister's and mine first ever inverted roller coaster and we were so nervous about it. But it was the most amazing ride ever. It had onboard sound with this amazing sound track, it was launched up the hill and there were amazing effects happening. The story was that you were shot up to the moon in a canon a la Jules Verne's novel. We got to the unload platform (same as loading there) and we were just grinning from ear to ear. And then the CMs made some weired signs with their hands and we realised that they were asking if we wanted to go again. There was no one in line. We road three or four times in a row before we felt too dizzy to do it again.

The sad part is that they destroyed that version of Space Mountain. 10 Years ago they chaned it into a different version called "Mission II" which nowhere was comparable to the original version. And now it is going to be turned into Hyperspace Mountain, shoudl be opening soon (or has just opened, not sure). Yes, a Star Wars version. It also has suffered from lack of maintenance and is the roughest roller coaster I have ever been on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter