Spring break - we're not in college anymore Toto - Feb 2018 TR

Totally not part of the TR, but tried out the camera tonight. I'm sure I can do better, but thought it turned out okay, so...

moon.JPG

Now that I've uploaded it, I see it's not as good as I thought. I used a tripod, but still trying to figure out all the settings.

I find myself unable to sleep (again) so might as well answer these in the meantime. :)
(But it's gonna suck when the alarm goes off in 5 hours)

You will be getting a prize since I'm almost done and you're leading the overall contest. I got several things while there, but I'm also debating about other items for certain folks.

Oh, geez. I was just kidding. I won't ask you to send something up here. It'll cost you a fortune.

I'm grumpy. Don't make it worse!

:laughing:

All joking aside, yeah I do.

Well..... I won't debate you on that. :)

Given the name, I'd say you're right again!

I'm on a roll!

::yes:: I'm trying to remember why my face was like that in the first go. I want to say I was trying to time the launch, so I was focusing on that, but I guess it just happened to catch me while I was blinking because I know I didn't close my eyes.

Not fallen asleep?

It was. If you go there again, save room. Well worth it!

Thanks for the tip! :)

It's okay, you've been right three times now, so you're back to being wrong. :rotfl2:

Dang. Streak snapped.

Now that I've uploaded it, I see it's not as good as I thought. I used a tripod, but still trying to figure out all the settings.

Shooting the moon is actually very difficult.
Here's a tip:
You're already using a tripod. That's a must. Also use either a remote trigger or the camera's timer. (2 or 3 second timer. Not sure what yours has.) Both of those are necessary to prevent as much camera shake as possible.
Set your ISO to 100, your shutter speed to 1/125 and your aperture to f/11. The moon is bright. Even if the rest of the sky is dark.

Try those settings and bracket on either side. (i.e. adjust your shutter speed to over and under expose)
Just don't shoot much slower than about 1/100. The moon is moving at 2,300mph so any slow shutter speeds will show motion blurring.
Hope that helps!

Another picture.
Stone mountain taken from my building.

Like that one. ::yes::

Cakes DW made for a fund raiser at church...

Wow! Those are impressive.

Are those arms or wings [or chicken AGAIN??] (part 3)

After finishing up our meal at 50s, we had no real plans except a FP for Star tours at 2pm. I asked PR what she wanted to do. She said whatever I wanted to do. Sometimes, pride in what our children have become is too hard to hold back. (Not that I really want to). I noticed the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular was nearby and another show would be starting in about 10 minutes, so we shuffled on in. Gave up on the Sashaying...just wasn't working for us and the crowd was starting to get a little heavy, so shuffling was most appropriate.

PR really liked the show. I had seen it before and I don't think anything has changed over the years. I wasn't super excited, but the stunts and the athleticism required still astound me! Either I didn't take pictures because I was so busy watching or they didn't turn out. I'm fairly sure it was the former.

After leaving the stunt men and women, PR wanted to go to the frozen sing along. I told her absolutely, positively, no way are we doing that. 10 minutes later, we're listening to do you want to build a snowman and let it go. <Sigh> You see how dad's absolutely, positively works, huh? Funny thing is I always used to forcefully say NO when PR would sing do you want to build a snowman. In thinking about it, Olaf is the only part of the movie I liked --- Olaf MADE the movie! So, if building a snowman means we get Olaf, then yes, I would like to build a snowman.

Speaking of Olaf...there was a meet & greet and I saw the wait time was only about 15 minutes. Well worth the time.

It appears the DIS has restricted the file size for pictures even more than before. Used to be the size limit was under 2MB, but I'm trying to upload a file that's 1.5MB and it's saying the file is too large. Plan B, I guess...

I asked PR what she wanted to do. She said whatever I wanted to do. Sometimes, pride in what our children have become is too hard to hold back. (Not that I really want to).

Huh. Impressive. I usually get (on occasion)
"Dad what do you want to do?"
Me: "How about ______?"
Any of the three females I live with: "No."

I noticed the Indiana Jones stunt spectacular was nearby and another show would be starting in about 10 minutes

Not a bad choice. :)

so we shuffled on in. Gave up on the Sashaying...just wasn't working for us and the crowd was starting to get a little heavy, so shuffling was most appropriate.

It takes a fair amount of dedication. Not for the meek or the weak.

I didn't take pictures because I was so busy watching or they didn't turn out. I'm fairly sure it was the former.

Good. Sometimes you should just enjoy.

After leaving the stunt men and women, PR wanted to go to the frozen sing along. I told her absolutely, positively, no way are we doing that. 10 minutes later, we're listening to do you want to build a snowman and let it go. <Sigh>

:laughing: There it is!

It appears the DIS has restricted the file size for pictures even more than before. Used to be the size limit was under 2MB, but I'm trying to upload a file that's 1.5MB and it's saying the file is too large. Plan B, I guess...

Huh. Well.... Poop

Second test...trying to figure out the correct way it wants a photo added since I can't upload anymore :sad2:

pr_olaf2.jpg

Okay, now I figured it out!

Are those arms or wings [or chicken AGAIN??] (part 4)

Now that I figured out the picture thing, the good news is I won't have to crop and reduce the quality of the photos to meet the size limitation nor will I have to limit to 10 photos per post. YAY!!!! :yipee: (Is there a yipee emoji? If not, there should be)
:yo-yo::dogdance::teeth:

pr_olaf3.jpg

me_olaf1.jpg

me_olaf2.jpg

me_olaf3.jpg

pr_me_olaf1.jpg

Olaf was so worth the wait.

After we said our goodbyes to Olaf. I think he was crying, but it's possible my charming, warm personality just made him melt a bit. I think he was crying. Remember, I'm grumpy - don't make it worse.

I may have the order mixed up a bit, but I don't think so...

Now it was time for our Star tour. I was hoping I would be the rebel spy so I could get the T-shirt. Alas, it was not to be. I am a rebel spy, just not officially rewarded for it. Stingy Disney! I'm gonna find out if you're seeing a common thread today...no pictures. I felt a bit queasy after the ride. I don't normally have this issue, but the AC on the ride was not working well or it was just not set low enough, so it was a bit warm. I remember the last time I got sick or queasy at da world was at a "ride" at DisneyQuest (oh I miss DQ...really enjoyed it) that was very warm/hot, so I think that's why...I really enjoy ST.

PR wanted to go see Ariel. Wait a minute, do I have pkondz with me and I didn't realize it? I think PR likes Ariel for a different reason, though. :lmao:

uts.jpg

uts1.JPG

uts2.jpg

uts2.JPG

I had a picture I thought had turned out of Ariel, but when I put it here, it was very grainypixelated. I will go back to my original picture (prior to dumbing it down for the DIS) and see if it's any better.

ariel2.jpg

After we left Ariel and Eric and Sebastian (I like Sebastian), we headed back towards RNRC & ToT. Can you say RNRC 3x in 1 day? I thought you could.

rnrc3.jpeg

Andy would be proud. 3x in one day!

We were thinking about going on ToT again, but PR said she wanted to see Beauty & the Beast. I told her absolutely, positively, no way are we doing that. 10 minutes later, we're listening to Tale as old as time and be our guest.

batb1.jpg

batb2.jpg

I had taken other pictures, but they didn't turn out well enough.

We thought about trying to go back to ToT quickly, but we were (well I was) getting hungry. We started looking around for something close, but nothing sounded really good. We tried Catalina Eddies, but everything had green peppers, so no go for me.

We walked next door to Rosie's All American Cafe. I decided chicken strips and fries sounded good. If you're in the guessing mood, what do you think PR got? If you guessed chicken, you're right. I looked at her and said your arms are going to turn into wings...you've had chicken for every meal. Chicken biscuit at Chick-fil-a, Chicken at 50s and now chicken strips for dinner.

Guess who didn't eat most of their dinner? Come on, guess...I know you can do it.

After dinner, we considered trying to fit in Tot with the FPs we had, but realized if we wanted seats for fantasmic, we'd have to go. We took the long walk (it's waaaay back there) and were seated relatively quickly. I'm really glad we opted to go when we did. It was already quite full and not that many seats were left.

We finally got a chance to use the ears we'd bought on Wednesday at MK. We'd seen these last year and at that time, the only place you could get them was HS, but we found them at MK the other day. You can't see well in this picture, but they light up and have three different "scenes". It's actually quite ingenious how they were designed. I'll try to take a picture or two (with my good camera) and share. Took this one with my phone (see the reflection in my glasses?) so it turned out!

me_pr.jpg

No pictures of fantasmic. We'd seen it before, but PR really likes it, so we just watched and enjoyed.

After fantasmic, we sauntered towards the SW fireworks area.

I had never seen them before, so another first for us. As we were getting settled a CM mentioned another show before the fireworks. Huh? I didn't know this.
I tried taking a few pictures. Not great, but here they are...
swfw1.jpg

swfw2.jpg

After the fireworks were over, we headed on out. I totally forgot to stop and get the carrot cake cookie I've heard so much about. Dagnabbit, there's another first that didn't happen yet. Grrr.

Pictures of HS fireworks taken last night coming back from seeing yehaa Bob or taken when we were on the boat from EPCOT...can't remember when I took these.
hs_fireworks.jpg

hs_fireworks2.jpg

That ends our HS day. Tomorrow we check out. :sad2:

Last edited:
Whoa! Resize!
Your photos are ginormous (well, that first one... the second one is just big.)
I think mine on my TR are 5x7 inches at 200DPI.
Sorry

Those are the PP photos, so yeah, they're bigger. I will have to figure out how to get them down in size on the DIS. Used to be I had to crop them down so much to get them to meet the <2MB limit, so now I have to figure out how to make them reasonable size here. I'll have to find out how Liesa adds her's without being so big.

Last edited:
Wrapping it all up. Subtitle - I hate leaving Disney.

I called my friend S (Steve) to see what time would be good for them. They said we could do like last time and visit for dinner and a few hours. I had made a hotel reservation in Valdosta like we did last time. This works well because we get to the hotel before it's too late and can finish the drive to Atlanta Sunday morning and still make it in time for church.

This meant we had a few hours before we needed to head north. We got our free breakfast - read previous note - in retrospect we should have went to Chick-fil-a again. We went back to my mom's house. I was tempted to go to DTD or go to one of the parks for just a few hours, but decided we would rather see mom/grandma again. Shortly after we got there, my mom starts planning lunch. Remember the GCBGCS (Great Cracker Barrel Gift Card Saga)? Well, it came back again. As soon as she mentioned lunch, she mentioned she had a $25 gift card for Cracker Barrel. Yes, mom, I know. B was there and C was going to join us and neither wanted to drive the OPPOSITE direction to go to Cracker Barrel. She kept on mentioning it, so finally, I'd had enough. Mom, give me the gift card...here's $40. Yep, it was worth it to me to spend an additional $15 to stop the GCBGCS. :rotfl2:

Remember how my mom often calls me for money? This helped alleviate one of those calls also because she needed some money for something...don't recall now, so the cash was of much more use to her than the gift card. I still have the card in my wallet and for the record, I have not suggested to anyone we need to go to Cracker Barrel.

So, before I give the final summary of all the firsts on this trip, last contest chance.

How many firsts were there? Closest - 3 points, Second closest - 2 points and 3rd closest - 1 point.
What were they? If you've been reading, you'll have a bunch. If you haven't been reading, I put you to sleep too, huh?
1 point for each correct.
Keep in mind, it could be restaurants, it could be rides, it could be snacks, it could be resorts, it could be buying a gift card from my mom (no, not counting that!)

I will not post the answers until next Saturday or Sunday, so you have a week.

Last edited:
Thanks for the fun report!
Ooooh....I have someone that said it was fun! My life is complete!

Thanks Caroline. I'll get back to yours one of these days. I'm enjoying the new job, but it's definitely negatively impacting my DIS time. :sad:

Now that I figured out the picture thing,

Ah! Put 'em on your own website. That'll work. :)

nor will I have to limit to 10 photos per post.

I believe it's 30 per update.

Olaf was so worth the wait.

From the photos... it sure looks like it! :)

After we said our goodbyes to Olaf. I think he was crying, but it's possible my charming, warm personality just made him melt a bit. I think he was crying.

I'm sure that was it.

Remember, I'm grumpy - don't make it worse.

I am a rebel spy, just not officially rewarded for it.

You have been officially ripped off, then.

s. I felt a bit queasy after the ride.

Sorry. Yeah, that ride can do it. I won't normally ride it more than once. In a row I mean. I might ride it more than once a day, just not back to back.

but the AC on the ride was not working well

Not good. It's why they have cool air blasting right in your face on Mission Space.

PR wanted to go see Ariel. Wait a minute, do I have pkondz with me and I didn't realize it?

Yussss!!!!

I think PR likes Ariel for a different reason, though. :lmao:

:rolleyes1

I had a picture I thought had turned out of Ariel, but when I put it here, it was very grainypixelated.

Hmmm.... Auto? ISO turned wayyyyyy up?

Can you say RNRC 3x in 1 day? I thought you could.

Not bad!

So... you were dreaming of Ariel here, weren't you?

We were thinking about going on ToT again, but PR said she wanted to see Beauty & the Beast. I told her absolutely, positively, no way are we doing that. 10 minutes later, we're listening to Tale as old as time and be our guest.

:laughing: Of course you were!

We tried Catalina Eddies, but everything had green peppers, so no go for me.

I'm the same way. I'll try them once in a while.... and then remember (usually about 12 hours later) why I don't eat them.

I looked at her and said your arms are going to turn into wings...you've had chicken for every meal. Chicken biscuit at Chick-fil-a, Chicken at 50s and now chicken strips for dinner.

Wait... maybe I shouldn't laugh.... Did her arms turn into wings???? :scared:

Guess who didn't eat most of their dinner? Come on, guess...I know you can do it.

:sad2:

You can't see well in this picture, but they light up and have three different "scenes".

I have seen those. ::yes::

No pictures of fantasmic. We'd seen it before, but PR really likes it, so we just watched and enjoyed.

Nothing wrong with that!

After fantasmic, we sauntered towards the SW fireworks area.

I had never seen them before

Nor have I.

I totally forgot to stop and get the carrot cake cookie I've heard so much about

I have bought that. Once... and was just too full from being on free DDP to eat it. It went in the trash a couple days later, untouched. I just couldn't.

I hate leaving Disney.

Don't we all!

I had made a hotel reservation in Valdosta

I'm almost positive that's where we stayed our first visit with the DDs.

in retrospect we should have went to Chick-fil-a again.

Have yet to go there. Some day.

Remember the GCBGCS (Great Cracker Barrel Gift Card Saga)?

::yes::

As soon as she mentioned lunch, she mentioned she had a $25 gift card for Cracker Barrel.

Oh, no!

so finally, I'd had enough. Mom, give me the gift card...here's $40.

Yep, it was worth it to me to spend an additional $15 to stop the GCBGCS. :rotfl2:

How many firsts were there?

What were they? If you've been reading, you'll have a bunch. If you haven't been reading, I put you to sleep too, huh?

Dude... no way, right now. Hope to get back to this later.

Thanks to @pkondz, I tried the moon shot again. Better...

Much better! Much! :)

How many firsts were there? Closest - 3 points, Second closest - 2 points and 3rd closest - 1 point.
What were they?

Okay. I'll say...

20 firsts.

1st time at/seeing/eating
Cape May
Beaches & Cream
Crystal Palace
50s Prime Time
Biergarten (not positive on this one)
Rosie's All American Café
Tiffins

And technically, if it's your first time at a restaurant, than it's your first time with any dish you order there, but I'm not going to number all those too. It's a package deal. Take it or leave it.

Giant Mickey Head Cinnamon roll
Train Tour
Stormalong Bay
Flight of Passage
Dole whip (x3 I guess for Dole, float, upside down pineapple cake)
Rivers of Light
SW fireworks
Voices of Liberty
Olaf meet and greet
Karamel Kuche

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter