spinal injury

c jay

Earning My Ears
We are taking my DS to Disney, Sea World etc. in July and as this is the first time to Florida since his accident (C4 Spinal injury, broken neck) I would welcome any advice. Before his accident he actively went on all the rides so I want to be prepared to avoid rides that are unsuitable so as not to upset him. I have also read quite a bit of threads re the negativitety of the GAC at US and as my son can't stay outside in the sun to long I am a bit worried about the queuing.

thanks

My husband is also a quad with a c4/5 injury.
We find the magic kingdom the least accessible and spend the least time there. You don't mention the age of your son which makes a difference regarding transferring to rides. My husband chooses to not ride anything that requires leaving his power wheelchair. The accessibility guides that Disney provides gives lots of info on which rides can take the w/c on and which require transferring. I'd suggest you order one ahead of time. The book will also tell your helpful things such as where accessible/ companion bathrooms are etc.

We typically go in the summer so heat is a big factor.
We bring fans, water bottles, etc and try to plan our day to avoid the afternoon heat. We typically head to indoor shows at MGM or Epcot during those hours or head back to our resort for an afternoon break. Since the parks are open late during the summer we head back when it is cooler in the early evening. Animal Kingdom also tends to be hot so we head there early and head straight for the safari which is our favorite!

Since this trip will be different than ones experienced before you might try to think of some special things to do-- disney quest, characteur breakfasts, or things you might have skipped before such as shows, evening fireworks, etc.

I hope you have a wonderful trip -- we always do !!!
If you have other questions let me know.

Linda

If you click on this link you will get to the official Disney pages about disabilities where you can print out a copy of the Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for each park.
Here's a link to print out the Universal Rider's Guide. It is quite complete in terms of what abilities are needed for each ride.

How big your son is makes a big difference. My DD is 5 feet tall and about 85 pounds. She's not too hard to transfer a few times a day, but all the transfers for short rides involved in going to MK tires us out really quickly. So MK is our least favorite parks. AK and MGM are the most accessible parks.

I have no experience with this but wish you luck and pixie dust. My DS is autistic, and I know how hard it is to have something happen to your child. When DS was diagnosed I kept wishing for a chance to trade my health for his disability. I think too, when your child has been healthy, and all of a sudden there is a change...it is so hard...like something has been stolen from you. I had one child and now you're giving me a new set of rules. DS stopped talking in one day...from being a chatterbox. Like an accident...everything is new and scary. There is a ton of research going on, hope some of it is a benefit to your DS.

I use an electric wheelchair full-time and can't sit up without complete support. Our last trip to Disney World I spent about 10 hours researching wheelchair accessible rides. I didn’t transfer for any rides and still had a fantastic time.

Here is a list of rides that you can drive your wheelchair directly onto without transferring, sorted by park:

Magic Kingdom---

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin: (note-this ride doesn't fit all electric chairs--my standard Invacare Action electric wheelchair didn't fit-)

Stitches Great Escape (I haven’t ridden it-this ride has got a lot of bad reviews)

Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (Takes you through several classic scenes-awesome-easy access)

it’s a small world (easy access)

Liberty Belle Riverboat (Tour around a lake with some props and animatronics-kinda long-chair sits below level of bars, partially blocking view)

Main Street U.S.A.-Railroad-steam train ride (I loved it. Round trip is best, there are scenes along the way. I am not sure if all stops are accessible so get on at Main Street)

Jungle Cruise (recently converted)

The Magic Carpets of Aladdin (too short for some chairs)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible. There are always spaces for wheelchairs with seats for family members adjoining
(Storytime with Belle, etc. all children sit on the floor up front)

Swiss Family Treehouse and Tom Sawyer Island are impossible for wheelchairs (you can do a roundtrip on the raft that goes to Tom Sawyer Island)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM, they're marked on a map- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave—nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Shows I recommend:

Time Keeper (360 degree imaging with awesome Animatronics that take you on a time-travel adventure fraught with danger and comedy *may be gone)

Carousel of Progress (the classic tale following an animatronic family through different eras of invention)

Enchanted Tiki Room (‘Under New Management’ by Zazu and Iago creating a cute, funny adventure-mild danger- with special effects.)

Philharmagic (3D show-which are always awesome-I like it just from clips I’ve seen)

Spectromagic parade (nighttime parade of lights)

Wishes Fireworks (replaced Fantasy in the Sky-I have heard it is incredible and already love it from the pictures and video clips that I’ve seen-mixing lasers, beautiful fireworks, and heartwarming character narration).

Share a Dream Come True Parade

Epcot—

Ellen’s Energy Adventure (easily accessible-cute Jeapordy style beginning that then takes you back in time to Dinosaurs)

Journey Into Your Imagination (easily accessible-really cute/fun ride with a fully accessible interactive special effects playground afterwards)

Living with the Land (informational tour about various climates and agriculture)

El Rio Del Tiempo (accessible-boat ride tour of Mexico)

The Living Seas (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access. At your own pace viewing of a live sea aquarium and the new Crush attraction)

The World Showcase (all areas accessible, although some areas may have alternate access)

Street shows are hard to see unless you arrive a little early to sit in front

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows (including Innoventions) are wheelchair accessible (*note: The Kid cot fun stop crafts will be difficult to do unless you have a tray on your wheelchair because the table and chairs are low and the supplies are scattered)

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave-- nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Shows I recommend:

Honey! I Shrunk the Audience-3D (awesome multisensory adventure with a 3D movie as well as a moving stage-you can feel the effects while in your chair-and incorporates the ‘feel’ sense *might be too scary)

Cranium Command (funny and cute story that portrays the job of a ‘brain pilot’ that tries to control the different organs/body systems of a 12 year old boy throughout his day-really funny *may be gone)

Some areas of Innoventions are fun. You can build a robot and keep it for free. But a lot of it is 3D/multisensory video games that you can't do in a wheelchair so this could be depressing

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth—incredible nighttime show with lasers, fireworks, music, and a global earth ball promoting harmony through a heartwarming, fantastic display.

MGM Studios—

Great Movie Ride (note-this ride doesn't fit all wheelchairs-my standard Invacare action electric wheelchair didn't fit and I had to ride sideways)

MGM Studios Backlot Tour

All the Character Greeting Areas and all shows are wheelchair accessible

Shows I recommend (MGM has a lot of good shows):

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular (live action awesome show )

Sounds Dangerous (special show that relies almost completely on hearing with incredible effects -a lot of parts in complete darkness)

Voyage of the Little Mermaid (play type show with characters, puppets, props, laser lights, and occasionally a fine mist to create the effect of being underwater. A great place to cool off)

Muppet Vision 3D (cute 3D show with feeling thrown in through water sprays, etc. The pre-show is also good)

Lights, Motors, Action Extreme Stunt Show

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave—nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Fantasmic-(The best nighttime/overall show. Note: Use the wheelchair seats in the back and arrive 2 hours to get a good seat)

Animal Kingdom-

Wildlife Express Train (train that shows you how Disney cares for their animals and takes you to the Conservation Station-have to back on)

Triceratop Spin (note: I never rode this ride and I am not sure if it accommodates electric wheelchairs or just manual ones)

Kilimanjaro Safaris (mild thrill ride with a guide that drives you through authentic habitats to view real exotic animals-best experienced in the morning. Note: This ride is bumpy. You may need to back in to the ride vehicle.)

All the Character Greeting Areas and shows are wheelchair accessible (*some areas of the Boneyard are not. *Conservation is listed as accessible but I didn’t visit it.)

All the nature trails are accessible and have beautiful wildlife. There are many exhibits-a few viewing areas are a little difficult to get to.

All night-time shows and parades have special wheelchair viewing areas-ask a CM- arrive 1-2 hours early for a seat and you cannot leave—nighttime shows are my favorite and are well worth the wait

Shows I recommend:

Festival of the Lion King (ties with Fantasmic for best show-Incredible show with acrobats, fire blowers, animatronics-cannot miss)

Its Tough to Be a Bug-3D (multi-sensory show with animatronics as well as a 3D show. Note: a few effects will be missed if you’re not sitting in a chair, but I never transferred and fully enjoyed the show-one of my favorites *may be too scary)

Flights of Wonder (bird stunt/aerial flying)

I only transferred to rides when I was younger and stronger. The last trip I didn’t transfer to any rides and still had a fabulous, magical trip with the plentiful wheelchair accessible rides and awesome shows. Always carefully weigh out the risks of transferring.

I hope I helped.

If you also want information on transfer rides i.e. how hard is the transfer, how rough is the ride, how much body control, etc. I would be glad to help with that, too. I have gone to Disney with different levels of function...

If you don't want him to tranfer you might not mention the big roller coasters/extreme rides-but purposefully steering away from them might make it worse. Probably better to emphasize how cool the wheelchair accessible rides are. Kilimanjaro Safaris and the Backlot tour at MGM have mild thrills. Several of the shows are just as thrilling as rides IMHO. Honey I Shrunk the Audience's floor even moves. Indiana Jones is a good 'man' show and It's Tough to Be a Bug has parts that make you jump.

Currently I cannot sit up without complete support. I use an electric wheelchair full-time. My mom will not allow me to ride rough thrill rides. She has a milder form of Muscular Dystrophy and can walk short distances and has much better trunk control. She has to approve rides. I was thrilled when she said I could ride Soarin'. If there was one ride that I would risk transferring to it would be this (in Epcot). I pulled my wheelchair right up to the aisle. My Dad carried me to the second seat. He sat on my left and my Grandma sat on my right. The seat belt has a strap that goes between your legs (meant for smaller children) to keep you from sliding out. During the ride, my Dad had his arm behind my back and a hold of my left arm while my Grandma held my right arm. On the swoops and turns these stabilized me. The most difficult part was the steep incline (Dad's arm held me up) and downward angles (seatbelt and arm holds). If you are as limited as me, I would not go without assistance. But with proper support you can enjoy the ride. The seat has a fairly high back so if you are thrown backwardrs you won't fall out. The seatbelt is snug and the strap between the legs will help secure you on the downward angles. Even though my feet were hanging, the seat didn't dig into the back of my legs. There are arm rests. I don't know if they flip up. The fairly high height of the seats could potentially make transfering difficult. All the movements are smooth. My only difficulty was that the snugness of the seatbelt left me out of breath. I loved this ride!
I can also answer questions about a specific ride/show.

Remember all shows are wheelchair accessible-don't miss the nighttime shows-especially Fantasmic-and don't miss Festival of the Lion King

Companion Restrooms

Magic Kingdom® Park:

First Aid
Lower level of Cinderella's Royal Table
Mickey's Toontown Fair
Next to Space Mountain® Stage
Pirates of the Caribbean
Splash Mountain
Transportation and Ticket Center East Gate

Epcot®:

First Aid
East side of Spaceship Earth
Future World East Block opposite Test Track
Future World West Block opposite The Land
Near the Canada Pavilion
Near the Germany Pavilion
Near the Morocco Pavilion
Near the Norway Pavilion opposite the Viking ship

Disney-MGM Studios:

First Aid
Fantasmic!
Next to Soundstage 3 Who Wants to Be a Millionaire-Play It!
Opposite Star Tours
Opposite "The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror"
Rock 'N' Roller Coaster® Starring Aerosmith

Disney's Animal Kingdom® Theme Park:

First Aid
Asia near Maharajah Jungle Trek
Chester and Hester's Dinosaur Treasures in Dinoland U.S.A.®
Discovery Island opposite Flame Tree Barbecue
Harambe Village in the Mombasa Marketplace

Finally, unless your son is using a manual wheelchair, can transfer into a park courtesy manual wheelchair, or transfer into a seat, he will not be able to ride any rides at Universal. Universal only allows manual wheelchairs to drive and be strapped down onto their "wheelchair accessible" ride vehicles. Electric wheelchairs aren't-but must transfer to a courtesy park chair and ride in that. hmmph...some "wheelchair accessibl...

Seaworld on the other hand is very wheelchair accessible, seats you first, gives you front of the line passes, and charges you 1/2 price for the ticket (must buy at window) for the disabled person and one helper...

Schew! I hope I help and answered your questions. Good luck! Have a magical trip!

Christamae

eternaldisneyfan said:
Main Street U.S.A.-Railroad-steam train ride (I loved it. Round trip is best, there are scenes along the way. I am not sure if all stops are accessible so get on at Main Street)
Triceratop Spin (note: I never rode this ride and I am not sure if it accommodates electric wheelchairs or just manual ones)
Nice summary! :flower:
All the stops of the railroad at MK are accessible. The easiest to get on and off is at Toontown; the station there is level.
Getting on or off at Frontierland involves ramps with a couple of turns.
Getting on or off at Main Street involves a rather steep ramp with a couple of turns.

Triceraptop Spin at AK uses the same type of wheelchair car as the Aladdin ride at MK (so some power wheelchairs may be too long).

One ride I would strongly recommend against riding is Primeval Whirl at AK. From the ground, it looks fairly tame, so we did let DD ride (she has cerebral palsy - spastic quad with some athetoid movements). That was a BIG mistake. The ride is a fairly tame, but quick roller coaster that twirls randomly at the same time. By the time the ride was finished, she had slipped down in her seat almost to the point of slipping underneath the restraint.

The Tarzan Rocks show at AK is a good, rock show highlighting the music from Tarzan. In line skaters are a big component of the show, so if that would depress your son to see, you may want to skip it.

thanx everyone for the info. helps heaps. He is 19 , 16 when he was injured through a Sporting accident. I now know what rides to avoid so as not to get him depressed. He takes dysreflexia attacks if he gets to hot or to cold (can't control his body temp) and you might think why Flordia in July !! but we feel if we went anywhere else it would be sun and no activety etc and we heard the USA is by far way ahead of the UK on access etc. Last week I changed from a 5 day hopper to a 14 day multipass which reading the thread from Linda I am glad I did as we can now come and go instead of thinking we need to use the full day to get value for money and also it includes Disney Quest which funilly enough in all the years we have been going to Florida (before DS's accident) we have never been to. I also just booked Cirque du Soleill so that should be good for him to. He cannot transfer and has a special manual adapted chair so will stay clear of these rides.
thanks again for all your replies.
p.s. managed to get a super adapted villa via so we don't need to take hoists etc.

Have him with you when you buy the Sea World ticket and ask for the disability discount. His ticket and his companion will both get their tickets for 1/2 off.

thanx but I wasn't aware of any discounts so bought all out park tickets at the travel agents when we bought our flights. :guilty: Will def. know for the next time though (thats me being positive hehe)

Does anyone know if there is there any shady bits at the water parks. Haven't made up our minds re these yet as I know my DS wouldn't be able to participate but we have another son who is 14 so trying hard to accommodate both. thought if there was wheelchair access in the shade then we could go for a couple of hours.

trying to think of everything as I was told if we plan ahead things go more smoothly .

also what is the american airports like for helping getting on and off the planes when you are paralised.?

There's not much I would recommend. In the case of Earthquake, you roll the chair in a section of the ride car where the CM strap it down. Then, during the ride... you have same jerky movements as everyone else. Jaws has the same problem. Only 2 rides I would say are 100% accessible in a manual chair are Poseidon's Fury and Twister. Both are special effects presentations, but I give the thumbs up to Poseidon's Fury! 3 preshows that can get a bit long, but good if you understand what's being said. 1 surprise then the finale... which combines an actor, fire, water and a water projection screen. My favorite, all rides counted in, at Universal Studios. Twister has 2 preshows, but the main show is louder and the effects not as good.

thanks everyone for replying. Does anyone from the UK have a GOOD positive experience flying with a severe disablilty and flown with a chartered airline. We are going with the standard airline as the likes of Virgin etc don't fly out of scotland. any tips would be greatly appreciated :cheer2:

Just wanted to let you know that Seaworld also has a disabilities guide. We haven't been yet, but I just received the guide in the mail yesterday. I would be happy to look up anything if you have a question. One thing I did notice is that the guide made a point of saying be sure to park the wheelchair far enough away from the splash zones so the chair doesn't get soaked. It said go to the promenade deck for the Shamu show .
Have a great trip! :earsboy:
Marie

You can also download the SeaWorld Accessibility Guidebook from the internet at this link.
If the link doesn't work, go to www.seaworld.com and click the link for Orlando. Then go to the "Park Information" link on the left side; the next to last item is "Accessibility".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter