• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Space Mountain: Has it changed?

Peter Pirate

Its not the end of civilization...But you can see
Have we ever gotten to the bottom of the 'SM has slowed' debate? Or the 'SM is brighter than it used to be' debate?

I recall hearing that SM was MUCH faster at inception, but after many injuries (deaths?) was greatly slowed. Is this urban legend? Truth? Anyone?

How about the lighting? I recall it used to be pitch black, was that a fact or does it seem lighter now that I'm used to the ride & have been on it so often, etc.?
:cool: :cool: :bounce: :cool: :cool:

I thnk it is brighter now, too, but it could just be my memory and the impression of it when I was a kid and then teenager vs. being an adult. I don't think it is slower - it may be - but I think it seems a little slower because it seems a little brighter, and you can see the track more clearly - so the impression seems slower and not as wild.

I could be really wrong though, this is just an impression.
DR

The top speed on SM in the 70's was 29 mph.

The top speed today is 29 mph.

But IMHO, it feels like it STARTS slower at the very top. But it could also be my imagination.

I still believe it goes faster than 29 mph, and YES it is brighter than it used to be. I can actually SEE the track in front, and follow it!:rolleyes:

The top speed used to be 32-35 miles per hour.

The current top speed is 23-26 miles per hour.

Several factors affect the speed.

The newer rocket trains are slower, the weight in the trains, and time of day (the later in the day the slightly faster the spped, due to the heat of the oil, wheels and track).
These changes in speed, where impletmented by Disney in 1980.
The newest rocket trains were installed in the early 90's which replaceed seat belts for lap bars also changed the speed. This is also when they installed a new ride system. New computers and new dispatch practices.

same speed ,brighter,and now that i am older its a little harder to get in and out of.

Maybe it's because I'm older now, but the last time I rode it, it seemed much rougher than it was before. I had a very sore neck after just one ride. It didn't seem lighter though. I have always been able to see the tracks ahead of me since my very first ride in 1975.

I will be in Disneyland in a little over 3 weeks and I look forward to riding their version of Space Mountain. I like its track layout better and the soundtrack adds so much. Still, the original will always hold a warm place in my heart.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter