• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Southwest Splendors this summer

glassslipper2004

DIS Veteran
Anyone else going this summer? I would love to hear about how it goes, what side trips/extras are offered, and how the new hotel is.

We (me, DH, DD9 and DD11) are on the August 15 trip.

We (me, DH, and DS15) are going on the July 4-11 Southwest Splendours...so excited!! Will definitely post a report when we get back:thumbsup2

Ours is June 6th, but we won't be back until the 20th of June, will report then.

If you haven't already, you could read my Trip Report for this vacation from last year. (See my signature). I looked through the comments & didn't see any comments from you...

I'm interested to see what people think of the new hotel, too. It looked pretty "rustic", but you absolutely *can't* beat the location!!!! And location trumps a *LOT* of things!

Sayhello

Sayhello, I'm hoping you're right about the hotel! The reveiws I've read have been downright scary. Of course, I'm not sure what it says about me that I'm equally worried about the bad security and the *gasp* low thread-count sheets. (perhaps I am shallow? :sad2:)

Still, from what I understand, we'll love waking up pretty much right on the rim. :thumbsup2

Sayhello, I'm hoping you're right about the hotel! The reveiws I've read have been downright scary. Of course, I'm not sure what it says about me that I'm equally worried about the bad security and the *gasp* low thread-count sheets. (perhaps I am shallow? :sad2:)

Still, from what I understand, we'll love waking up pretty much right on the rim. :thumbsup2
I haven't read much of the reviews of the Thunderbird. What do they say? What kind of security issues?

You're certainly not alone. Before my Canadian Rockies ABD was cancelled, I was *very* worried about *our* "rustic" hotel, too. It was inside the park, but had tiny bathrooms, no airconditioning, and the staff was all seasonal, things like that.

HOWEVER, there is nothing "pretty much right on the rim" about the Thunderbird. You ARE on the rim! You are right there. The only thing between you and the rim is a walkway!

Thunderbirdlodge.jpg

Sayhello

Bless you, Sayhello! I had not seen that particular photo of the Lodge. I think you're right: location = worth it!

I had just read a few reports on tripadvisor that talked about flimsy door and poor locks, leading the writers to worry about leaving things in the room. Since we do travel with a laptop, I worry a little about it. Not too much though. There's always a risk and rarely a real problem, ime.

I do have a Southwest Splendors question for you, since you have been on this trip (or for anyone else who has and wants to weigh in).

We'll be in Sedona for 3 days before the trip starts. We're trying to decide whether to drive all the way back to Phoenix, just to be on the bus with the group to drive right back to Sedona. The alternative, cleared with ABD, is to meet them at Montezuma's Castle.

Obviously this would save a lot of car time, which is the "pro." The "cons" are 1) that we would miss whatever info is given on the bus; and 2) that it is surprisingly tricky and expensive to return a rental car that we pick up at PHX to an outpost in Sedona, which is apparently pretty small and devoid of rental car agencies.

Which sounds like the better way to go, in your experienced opinion?

I do have a Southwest Splendors question for you, since you have been on this trip (or for anyone else who has and wants to weigh in).

We'll be in Sedona for 3 days before the trip starts. We're trying to decide whether to drive all the way back to Phoenix, just to be on the bus with the group to drive right back to Sedona. The alternative, cleared with ABD, is to meet them at Montezuma's Castle.

Obviously this would save a lot of car time, which is the "pro." The "cons" are 1) that we would miss whatever info is given on the bus; and 2) that it is surprisingly tricky and expensive to return a rental car that we pick up at PHX to an outpost in Sedona, which is apparently pretty small and devoid of rental car agencies.

Which sounds like the better way to go, in your experienced opinion?
Hmmmm... Boy, that's a hard call. It's a long drive, and pretty nasty traffic in the Phoenix area. But if you can manage it, and don't mind the extra car time, I would say making it back to Phoenix, to experience the drive (the explanation about the saguaro cactus, etc) and the camaraderie of the first meetup could be worth it. I would say, at the LEAST, you *would* want to meet up with them at Montezuma's Castle. That was a fun experience, and really the start of the trip. Would someone be dropping you off there? Because I do think you'd want to join the tour then, and experience the ride into the Red Rocks area with everyone else (even though you will have already seen it). It's still pretty spectacular!

You really know how you guys are the best. If it had been me, traveling alone, there is no way I would have driven all the way back to Phoenix. But that's just me, and I hate to drive.

Don't know if that was much help... :confused3

Sayhello

I too have read the "sketchy" reviews of the Thunderbird, and am a little concerned. I'm not a snob, but do enjoy staying in nicer hotels, which is what you would expect from ABD...it would have to be some kind of view in order for me to overlook a less than par hotel....will anxiously be awaiting reviews from some of the earlier trips this summer.

Wow, I just looked at the Thunderbird reviews, and I am frankly astonished that ABD would have booked us into such a low quality hotel. Obviously they must have decided that the location was worth it. Maybe this is actually a very in demand place to stay because of the location and ABD figured it would be a draw? Should be interesting!

Wow, I just looked at the Thunderbird reviews, and I am frankly astonished that ABD would have booked us into such a low quality hotel. Obviously they must have decided that the location was worth it. Maybe this is actually a very in demand place to stay because of the location and ABD figured it would be a draw? Should be interesting!
A lot of people complained that they wanted to stay at the El Tovar while we were at the Grand Canyon, but they will not work with Disney. So ABD probably figured the Thunderbird was the "next best" thing. The El Tovar, while expensive, is not *that* great, either (small rooms, less amenities, etc) but it has a great *reputation* because of the locale.

The place we stayed outside the park was a pretty decent hotel, although not in the least fancy. I found the beds much more comfortable than at the Amara... but that's just me.

I do think they are banking on the fact that people will put up with a lot for the location of the Thunderbird, which doesn't come much greater. But I wouldn't be expecting anything much as far as the rooms go.

Sayhello

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter