Southwest Companion Pass/Southwest Vacation Package Question!

adelaster

DIS Veteran
Hello all..

I am in route to earn the Southwest Companion Pass this year. I have a question that I couldn't find the answer to elsewhere, and was hoping someone on here might know.

If I booked a Southwest Vacation Package to Disney for later this year, and I earn the pass before the trip- can the companion pass be retroactively added to one of the flights? If so, do I get a credit, or a refund? Has anyone done this?

It's my understanding it can be applied to flights that were previously booked, I just didn't know about packages. Unfortunately all the small print on the Southwest website doesn't detail either situation, and when I called in yesterday I got several inaccurate pieces of information from the Southwest employee. (Like, blatantly wrong- the website refuted her).

Want to make sure I have my facts straight before I book the package, otherwise I may just purchase everything separately. Thanks!

If only it worked that way. The CP applies to purchases of flights only. It cannot be used on the SW packages. For that reason, I purchase separately, the flight and hotel. Although I guess you could price out and see if the package is cheaper than booking flights and hotel separate.

If only it worked that way. The CP applies to purchases of flights only. It cannot be used on the SW packages. For that reason, I purchase separately, the flight and hotel. Although I guess you could price out and see if the package is cheaper than booking flights and hotel separate.
Thanks! I submitted a question to the southwest vacation desk too, so if I hear different I'll post here. For now the plan is to book separate I guess! I'll just be thrilled to be paying less on flights. :D

Yes the CP is only good toward the booking of flights not vacation packages so you would have to book the flight separately.

Last edited:
If I obtain a Rapid Reward Credit Card, can I use those points to buy tickets for anyone or can those only be used for a ticket in my name?

If I obtain a Rapid Reward Credit Card, can I use those points to buy tickets for anyone or can those only be used for a ticket in my name?
You could book a flight for anyone with your reward points. You just can't earn points when you pay for their tickets, but you can enter their RR number so they earn points, and later they could transfer those points to you. Similarly, you could transfer points to anyone with a RR account.

Worth noting, transferred points do not count towards earning a companion pass, and you cannot use points to book a southwest vacation package.

Southwest has pretty good FAQs online, check them out. Unfortunately they don't address my original question here, but they do answer yours!

You could book a flight for anyone with your reward points. You just can't earn points when you pay for their tickets, but you can enter their RR number so they earn points, and later they could transfer those points to you. Similarly, you could transfer points to anyone with a RR account.

Worth noting, transferred points do not count towards earning a companion pass, and you cannot use points to book a southwest vacation package.

Southwest has pretty good FAQs online, check them out. Unfortunately they don't address my original question here, but they do answer yours!
Just to clarify: if you book a flight for someone else using your Rapid Rewards points, neither of you will earn points for the flight.

Additionally, Southwest charges a fee of ~$0.01 per point to transfer them to someone else, which essentially negates the value of the point transfer.

Just to clarify: if you book a flight for someone else using your Rapid Rewards points, neither of you will earn points for the flight.

Additionally, Southwest charges a fee of ~$0.01 per point to transfer them to someone else, which essentially negates the value of the point transfer.

Thought the first was obvious, sorry if that wasn't clear. Points are not earned on reward points, period. I was just pointing out that even if you paid for someone else's ticket you won't get points on that either. I think that trips people up- having everyone they buy tickets for provide them their own rapid rewards number. Useful to know before you start booking tickets and need to put in the info.

As far as the transfer charge, https://www.southwest.com/html/gene...wards_buy_gift_transfer_claim_points_faq.html states that there is no cost associated with the transfer. If that's false, bummer. Worth noting that points are presently valued around 1.5 cents each on average (this changes). So if there were a cost associated, it is probably an in-the-moment judgement call on whether it is worth it to you.

As ever though, it's advisable to check current policy before making a decision! :)

Thought the first was obvious, sorry if that wasn't clear. Points are not earned on reward points, period. I was just pointing out that even if you paid for someone else's ticket you won't get points on that either. I think that trips people up- having everyone they buy tickets for provide them their own rapid rewards number. Useful to know before you start booking tickets and need to put in the info.

As far as the transfer charge, https://www.southwest.com/html/gene...wards_buy_gift_transfer_claim_points_faq.html states that there is no cost associated with the transfer. If that's false, bummer. Worth noting that points are presently valued around 1.5 cents each on average (this changes). So if there were a cost associated, it is probably an in-the-moment judgement call on whether it is worth it to you.

As ever though, it's advisable to check current policy before making a decision! :)
The cost associated with transferring points is something I think Southwest needs to be much more clear on.

Here's a screenshot I just took of what SW shows you'll be charged when you transfer points. Unfortunately, some people think this page is telling you how much the points you're transferring are worth, not realizing this is how much you'll be charged to transfer. Definitely something SW could do better with.
IMG_5582.jpg

The cost associated with transferring points is something I think Southwest needs to be much more clear on.

Here's a screenshot I just took of what SW shows you'll be charged when you transfer points. Unfortunately, some people think this page is telling you how much the points you're transferring are worth, not realizing this is how much you'll be charged to transfer. Definitely something SW could do better with.
View attachment 241930
Yeah, that seems pretty confusing. I love SWA, but I have definitely found their clarity (and across-the-board employee knowledge of policy) to be lacking. Frustrating, but they do provide one of the best values for domestic travel.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest