Southern California (& Disneyland): Backstage Magic Meets Thread

I'm at the GC now to make it at least once in a lifetime. To be honest I'm underwhelmed, sure the lobby is great and most of the other areas. But the rooms look nothing special at all.
You are just paying the premium for entering thru the back door of DCA.

On Sunday I'm on the ABD tour and looking very much forward to the DLH.

I'm at the GC now to make it at least once in a lifetime. To be honest I'm underwhelmed, sure the lobby is great and most of the other areas. But the rooms look nothing special at all.
You are just paying the premium for entering thru the back door of DCA.

On Sunday I'm on the ABD tour and looking very much forward to the DLH.

Looking forward to hearing how you like the trip with the change to the DL hotel.

We are doing the Warner Bros. Studio Tour the morning that our adventure begins and by a stroke of luck, it just happens to be the one Sunday per month that Walt's Barn is open to the public, so we want to catch a ride over to Griffith Park and see the barn and the merry-go-round. After re-watching the Dreams Unlimited show from December where Kevin & co discussed their most recent Backstage Magic trip, these sites were actually visited as part of their tour. I have spoken with our AbD Vacationista 3 times and each time I ask her if there is any reason that I should alter those plans *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* and each time she has told me that no, our tour is not scheduled to visit either of those sites. This is our first AbD, so I'm not familiar yet with whether or not the Vacationistas are privy to all inclusions on the trip or not. Has anyone done this tour on the 2017 itinerary and had Walt's Barn and the GP Marry-go-round included on your tour? Was it an announced activity or a surprise? My dad is a huge train guy and I grew up with model railroading, so I don't want to miss the opportunity to see the barn (it's only open to the public one day per month and being East Coasters, what are the chances that we happen to be in Hollywood on the 3rd Sunday or the month ever again), but I also don't need to go twice and I would like to spend that time at Universal City Walk if we'll visit the Griffith Park attractions during the tour.

This afternoon I bought tickets to see Hamilton the day before my AbD Backstage Magic trip begins!

:cool1:
Congrats! You're going to love it! I thought the tickets didn't go on sale until the end of April. :) You must know somebody!

Sayhello

We are doing the Warner Bros. Studio Tour the morning that our adventure begins and by a stroke of luck, it just happens to be the one Sunday per month that Walt's Barn is open to the public, so we want to catch a ride over to Griffith Park and see the barn and the merry-go-round. After re-watching the Dreams Unlimited show from December where Kevin & co discussed their most recent Backstage Magic trip, these sites were actually visited as part of their tour. I have spoken with our AbD Vacationista 3 times and each time I ask her if there is any reason that I should alter those plans *wink, wink, nudge, nudge* and each time she has told me that no, our tour is not scheduled to visit either of those sites. This is our first AbD, so I'm not familiar yet with whether or not the Vacationistas are privy to all inclusions on the trip or not. Has anyone done this tour on the 2017 itinerary and had Walt's Barn and the GP Marry-go-round included on your tour? Was it an announced activity or a surprise? My dad is a huge train guy and I grew up with model railroading, so I don't want to miss the opportunity to see the barn (it's only open to the public one day per month and being East Coasters, what are the chances that we happen to be in Hollywood on the 3rd Sunday or the month ever again), but I also don't need to go twice and I would like to spend that time at Universal City Walk if we'll visit the Griffith Park attractions during the tour.

We did the trip last June and we did go to the barn. I think it was announced as a surprise but they seem to pretty consistently go there from the trip reports that I have read. We did not go to the Merry Go Round.

Congrats! You're going to love it! I thought the tickets didn't go on sale until the end of April. :) You must know somebody!

Sayhello

American Express cardholder presale. If the website experience I had trying to get tickets this week is repeated when general sales start later this month, there are going to be a lot of frustrated and disappointed people out there!

American Express cardholder presale. If the website experience I had trying to get tickets this week is repeated when general sales start later this month, there are going to be a lot of frustrated and disappointed people out there!
Well that doesn't sound like fun! But congrats!! It's an AMAZING show!

Sayhello

I am no longer going on the October 8th 2017 tour. I will now be going on the August 12 2018 tour when the BF can join me :D
Celebrating my birthday at Disney studios with the partners statue:worship:

I am no longer going on the October 8th 2017 tour. I will now be going on the August 12 2018 tour when the BF can join me :D
Celebrating my birthday at Disney studios with the partners statue:worship:

We just booked the August 12, 2018 trip as well! It will be me, DH, DD (16) and DS (14). We were initially booked for June of this year and have moved our reservation around a bit. But we are definitely going on this departure. Looking forward to meeting you and your BF.

Do you lose your initial deposit when you change dates?
We had to change our dates and didn't lose our deposit. Our trip was supposed to be last August. But we wound up selling our house and building a new one, so we had 2 house closings and moving to deal with around that same time. We were prepared to lose our deposit, but they held the money and let us transfer that deposit to our new trip this August once those dates were released and available to book.

Do you lose your initial deposit when you change dates?
ABD were going to transfer deposit but they didn't consider it a new booking so I wasn't eligible for the early discount. I ended up cancelling and losing the $300 deposit but with my partner now joining me I saved $400.00 all up.

I could have just kept transferring dates indefinitely for a future trip but after this trip who knows when I will be able to go back...best not to have to worry and deal with postponing.

We just booked the August 12, 2018 trip as well! It will be me, DH, DD (16) and DS (14). We were initially booked for June of this year and have moved our reservation around a bit. But we are definitely going on this departure. Looking forward to meeting you and your BF.
Look forward to meeting you and your family.

Since our friends say our Japan trip looked so fun they want us to all go together in November next year... looks like S Africa will have to wait! We booked the May 20th Backstage ABD instead and I already can't wait to go, almost one year exactly! :dogdance:

Just booked BSM for 6/10/2018. It will be our second (sort of, we did a cruise add on for our first) ABD! We used DVC points to book. Because we booked by 5/31, we got a 54 point per person discount. There are four of us, so they booked two separate reservations, which means two rooms.

Just booked BSM for 6/10/2018. It will be our second (sort of, we did a cruise add on for our first) ABD! We used DVC points to book. Because we booked by 5/31, we got a 54 point per person discount. There are four of us, so they booked two separate reservations, which means two rooms.
The add-ons definitely count as an ABD!! :)

Sayhello

Update on the July 31, 2017 trip...My TA called to get the kids' ages for my DD. Here's the run down on our tour group:

Girls Ages: 16,15,14,12,9,8, 6
Boys Ages: 13,11
There are a total of 29 guests on this tour with 9 of them being kids.

My DD is the 15yo. Anyone else on that trip with us?

Update on the July 31, 2017 trip...My TA called to get the kids' ages for my DD. Here's the run down on our tour group:

Girls Ages: 16,15,14,12,9,8, 6
Boys Ages: 13,11
There are a total of 29 guests on this tour with 9 of them being kids.

My DD is the 15yo. Anyone else on that trip with us?

Thanks for the info! We're on that trip as well, it's me, DH, and DD 8yo. Looking forward to meeting you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter