Some Universal observations this week

Captainkidd76

DIS Veteran
Been at Hard Rock since the 11th. Having a great time, but there have been some not so great moments:

They've been doing some filming for some reality game show. Huge area outside Studio entrance has been blocked off. Today, they were filming outside of Islands. This is probably meaningless to most, but as huge fans of Islands, it was a bummer. The music played throughout Port of Entry was shut off all day. It really hurt the ambience of the area.

Fire alarm went off at 3:00AM last night. No explanation as to what happened.

I've officially lost all hope for the Hard Rock brand ever being Hard or even rock anymore. 'N Sync, Whitney Houston, Backstreet Boys. They should just change the name to Pop Cafe and Pop Hotel.

We caught the nighttime show at the Studios tonight. Water effects were cool, but the sound was awful. Busted speakers all around us. No Jaws, Back to the Future, Shrek or Classic Monster clips. Instead, Trolls, How to train your Dragon and Harry Potter (not even a Universal franchise).

People smoking cigarettes all over the place and team members not saying a word.

Toothsome wouldn't honor priority seating for on-site guests because they were "too busy".

Again, having a great time. Just finding that there are more things than usual that are a bit off. Many team members not behaving "show ready" as Disney would say.

When dealing with the public I’m always amazed at the entitled behaviour I sometimes encounter. I always have to pack an extra dose of patience and make a conscious effort that it’s not going to interfere with my vacation.
That’s disappointing about broken speakers.
I hope you enjoy the rest of your vacay!

We had a 3am false fire alarm at the Hard Rock years ago! Some hijinks never change, lol!

We definitely had issues with smokers during HHN - my DH has bad asthma and actually has trouble breathing if he's near smoke. Every time we sat down someplace, inevitably people would arrive, sit near us and light up. It was really bad by the vamp 85 scare zone. We had to constantly keep moving when all we wanted to do was sit and people watch for a while.

I am always reluctant to ask a smoker to move or use the designated smoking areas because as friendly and polite as I try to be, always asking with a smile, most react angrily and I just don't have the patience to deal with nasty people like I used to - getting crankier, I guess! It's a vacation buzz kill. Just easier to find another spot.

I mentioned it in our survey at the end of the evening...not sure if that helps at all, but if no one complains, they won't know.

Last edited:
Honestly, we likely won't renew our annual passes this year. Don't get me wrong, we still love the parks and hotels. But the apathy shown by team members has been very disappointing. Smokers have been everywhere and nobody says a word to them. I can't stand cigarette smoke and I don't want my kids subjected to it.

Another story, but team members in general have for the most part been pretty lousy. Rude. No enthusiasm. Out of character. Even heard some trash talking guests and using profanity. Felt like a Six Flags.

Honestly, we likely won't renew our annual passes this year. Don't get me wrong, we still love the parks and hotels. But the apathy shown by team members has been very disappointing. Smokers have been everywhere and nobody says a word to them. I can't stand cigarette smoke and I don't want my kids subjected to it.

Another story, but team members in general have for the most part been pretty lousy. Rude. No enthusiasm. Out of character. Even heard some trash talking guests and using profanity. Felt like a Six Flags.

we went to universal for the first time in 2018 and experienced everything u mentioned. we were so disappointed that we didnt event jes pur full tickets or all of our hhn pass - it was a one and done and when I sent an email to customer service, I never even got a reply

we went to universal for the first time in 2018 and experienced everything u mentioned. we were so disappointed that we didnt event jes pur full tickets or all of our hhn pass - it was a one and done and when I sent an email to customer service, I never even got a reply

Doesn't surprise me. Management doesn't seem to care about much. It's sad. We've been a Universal family for 10 years. After this trip, we're ready to go back to Disney. They're not perfect either, but at least the majority of cast members seem to enjoy and care about their job.

I felt as though I needed to speak up here as far as the team members are concerned.

I have never in all the years I have been going to Universal encountered a rude TM.

I go to Universal Orlando 4 times a year or more for varying lengths of stays and have never encountered what you described about the TMs.

For example:

1. I have been approached by them on countless occasions and asked how my time at the parks has been.

2. When my granddaughter was not feeling well once when we were there a TM went and got ice to put on the back of my granddaughters neck as she was nauseous.

3. The Chef at Mytho’s will come out and Talk with you if you have allergies to make sure your dining experience is a great one.......that has never happened to us at Disney (just being honest).

4. The TM’s in the shops are so helpful and kind.

5. I have always felt welcomed and secure at Universal. They were the first to put in Security Scanning devices to insure their Park goers safety.

6. I have found the lovely tour guides to be some of the kindest, informative and happy people.

It’s unbelievable the amount of awful behavior these TM’s have to put up with from the general public.....for example it was posted that one of the Scare actors (who was a lady) was spat upon by a person who was attending HHN this past year........who does that......it was awful to read that.

I think the TM’s handle themselves guite well considering the rudeness they deal with on a daily basis by some disrespectful park goers.

I think it is unfair to group all the TM’s at Universal so harshly as you have done.

I was dealt with very rudely by a young lady that was checking me in at a Disney World Resort a couple of years ago. That was her behavior.......not every Resort guest Check Inn person who works for Disney World.......I would not be so unfair to lump all of them together for one persons lack of decorum.

Wow....you guys have had the opposite experience we have had the last 10 years of visiting Universal.

Smoking....some people are ignorant and don't care about other people at times......however, we have found the TM will tell people to go to specific smoking areas. We detest smoking and won`t sit close to where people are smoking.....but we haven't found it to be an issue. At HHN they actively seek out smokers in the lines and will remove them if they don't stop.

Management do care. We met the CEO of Universal Orlando last year and his primary concern is guest satisfaction......we have two friends who are managers in Studios and spend much of their time addressing guest issues...…

TM. Well, what can I say....we have never experienced in all our visits anything like you have described....last year alone we spent almost two months at UOR...….and found staff to be friendly, helpful and genuinely enjoy their job.....which amazes me when you see some of what they have to deal with day in day out.....

They can`t do enough for you if you do need help.....again this is constant over many visits, not just a one and done...…

We once many years ago went into MK and we heard two CM berate Disney for ruining the planet setting off the small fireworks during the day for something or other......and then proceeded to slate guest in a mocking tone......haven't ever seen that at Universal...…..

Your experience is unusual...….and of course there are always folks that will come to agree with you who seem to enjoy slating Universal any chance they get......

Of course not going back is entirely your privilege, but I want to put the alternative experience out there as someone who visited five times last year and will be back again this year for four visits...…I would hate someone who is considering going to Universal for the first time to think this is the norm.....it isn't.

I detest rudeness and won’t stand for it, but it has never been an issue for us......we find folks at UOR to be everything we would want them to be...….

As for contacting them, every time I have had the need to email guest services or similar a response has been activated within 48 hours and twice they have called me at home with an answer....…..

So, I think you are being very unfair branding every employee the way you have. There are some amazing employees out there and I`m thankful to say that`s all we have ever experienced at UOR.

Last edited:
I haven't been to Disney since my first dual Disney/UO trip back in 2000. At the time , the whole experience at UO was far superior - including the attitude and helpfulness of staff. I haven't noticed that service degrade over the past 18 years, however I can't speak to how much Disney may have improved in that time, so I have no clue how they compare.

Having said that, I can't even imagine how bad, rude or unhelpful UO team members would have to be for me to consider going back to the torture that Disney had become .

I agree with Schumi and Robo56. We just got back from 8 full days in the parks and it was 100% positive. We had a lot of fun with TMs and everyone working at RPR will do anything within their power to make you happy. Being friendly to all no doubt helps us.

I felt as though I needed to speak up here as far as the team members are concerned.

I have never in all the years I have been going to Universal encountered a rude TM.

I go to Universal Orlando 4 times a year or more for varying lengths of stays and have never encountered what you described about the TMs.

For example:

1. I have been approached by them on countless occasions and asked how my time at the parks has been.

2. When my granddaughter was not feeling well once when we were there a TM went and got ice to put on the back of my granddaughters neck as she was nauseous.

3. The Chef at Mytho’s will come out and Talk with you if you have allergies to make sure your dining experience is a great one.......that has never happened to us at Disney (just being honest).

4. The TM’s in the shops are so helpful and kind.

5. I have always felt welcomed and secure at Universal. They were the first to put in Security Scanning devices to insure their Park goers safety.

I agree Robo! We don't go to Universal every year, but have been doing so for the past 3 years. We have never encountered a rude TM either. One TM at MIB even let us use the back elevator instead of walking clear around to the front entrance of MIB. We rode it several times in a row. My husband walks with a cane and did not ask for special help, but it was greatly appreciated.
6. I have found the lovely tour guides to be some of the kindest, informative and happy people.

It’s unbelievable the amount of awful behavior these TM’s have to put up with from the general public.....for example it was posted that one of the Scare actors (who was a lady) was spat upon by a person who was attending HHN this past year........who does that......it was awful to read that.

I think the TM’s handle themselves guite well considering the rudeness they deal with on a daily basis by some disrespectful park goers.

I think it is unfair to group all the TM’s at Universal so harshly as you have done.

I was dealt with very rudely by a young lady that was checking me in at a Disney World Resort a couple of years ago. That was her behavior.......not every Resort guest Check Inn person who works for Disney World.......I would not be so unfair to lump all of them together for one persons lack of decorum.

Without taking sides here but we have been AP for past 8 years...in this time have had both experiences good and bad but good way out paces the bad....we choose not to complain here but rather stop at guest service's and file a complaint....been told a review is done an if warranted a evaluation is put on their file...about all we can do....with that being said we also make sure we stop in during our trip to comment on exceptional service also.. people always want to complain but rarely give credit where credit is deserved...

We are going next year, but we will stay at our DVC and just uber over to the parks. I am hearing too many bad reports.

Without taking sides here but we have been AP for past 8 years...in this time have had both experiences good and bad but good way out paces the bad....we choose not to complain here but rather stop at guest service's and file a complaint....been told a review is done an if warranted a evaluation is put on their file...about all we can do....with that being said we also make sure we stop in during our trip to comment on exceptional service also.. people always want to complain but rarely give credit where credit is deserved...

Exactly. A few comments on a message board won’t do any good.

We always comment on excellent TM at GS and it is always appreciated.

Recently, I sent an email to Virgin Atlantic to compliment the Cabin Crew we had on our flights. The reply from them included the statement of apppreciating the time we took to compliment staff as most were keen to complain but few took the time to give credit and praise.

Had nothing but great experiences on our last trip but I agree about guests smoking. People are smoking everywhere in the Universal Parks, it was quite noticeable.

I didn't say all TM's were rude. But more than I have experienced in the past. I'm not a Disney fanatic new to Universal. As I said, we're AP holders and have been for several years. We stay every year at least 7 nights on-site. I have never had any issues at either Hard Rock or Royal Pacific. I assure you, I'm not imagining these issues or manifesting them. I'm as big a Universal fan as anyone, which is why we were disappointed and surprised this past week. There were quite a few tour groups in the parks. Maybe that's what had the TM's in grumpy moods.

I have been to the parks a fair number of times in the past few years, and good experiences generally outweigh bad experiences. But I have had some experiences that were decidedly in the NOT GOOD category. I tweeted my issue to UOR and on every occasion they tweeted me back. They told me how they were going to address the issue, and they apologized for the issue. And on more than one occasion, they left me a gift card. (To be clear, I'm not advocating complaining to get free stuff, but I've been impressed with the fact that the few times that I've been "the squeaky wheel" they actually responded with some "grease.")

I love both parks and do wonder how these CMs and TMs deal with the abuse - so many people are just awful. I saw it a lot on the few cruises we took as well - that sense of arrogance and entitlement. I would lose it...I cannot imagine how they stay sane. (I'd be hitting the bottle big time after every shift. :drinking::drinking::drinking:lol)

But I do stand by my bad luck with the smoking at HHN - I'm sure most TMs try to police it, but they can't be everywhere. One time, no big deal. But it kept happening to us over the nights we were there - we'd find a spot with no one nearby, sit or stand there and minutes later someone would stroll up and light up. We must look like smokers! o_O

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!