Solo Travel

This will sound facetious, but go to Universal. They have single rider lines everywhere.

There are single rider lines for Test Track, Expedition Everest and Rock and Roller Coaster, so that will save you from burning a FP on those.

Magic Kingdom - definitely work the app to use as many FP as you can.

Apart from that - you've basically got the freedom to map your journey the way YOU want to do it. If there's an attraction you want to do that no one else likes - go for it. Try some new foods that the rest of the family wouldn't touch? You can take the time to do it.

Only thing I wouldn't recommend is a solo "drink around the world", for obvious reasons.

I love going solo but don't get to do it often enough. The one thing I would suggest is use the MDE app. I would walk off one ride from a FP and open the app and grab the next. Being only 1 person they are pretty easy to get, its when you try getting them for two or more people that it becomes a bit harder.

I like to spend time with myself but if your one to need people around it might be tricky. I don't think it would be a good trip if you get lonely or need someone to help direct you so think about what your needs are.

Other than that suggestion there's not much else to say. You do what you want when you want to, dine when your hungry and not when others dictate, shop at your leisure. Go and enjoy yourself.

Hi Hon
I try,,, I really do but somehow the sons and or my granddaughter find out and the trip turns into a family adventure.
I have been on many solo trips though,I have two planned for this year.
A few thoughts:
I can do what I want to do when I want to do it.
I can eat where I want.
I can book Dessert Parties and Tours as they are easier on the pocket book solo.
I can shop as much as my legs and wallet can handle.
I can ride certain rides more than once (Pirates,Soarin).
I can wander around Epcot Flower and Garden Festival for hours without someone saying "are we leaving now".
Table service sometimes feels icky but I've learned to bring something along to read on my phone.
Sleeping in is wonderful,,,even an afternoon nap is possible--guilt free.
I only stay onsite and always feel safe, that being said I now always tell them at the front desk that I have an anaphylactic allergy to shellfish,
carry an Epipen and medic alert bracelet.I have a small print out of family # and medical info in my wallet.
I definitely come home much more relaxed than on family holidays. Sometimes I do pause and think gee "Hannah"(granddaughter) would have loved or enjoyed that,,but it passes. I do enjoy picking up little treats for everyone back home.
So as you can see a lot of my sentences started with *I*,,,,,,solo traveling is definitely all about I.
Have a great time planning
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Something I didn't mention, I usually book my hotel stays for two people even though it will just be me. This is for safety reasons. The exception to that rule is if I book WDW as a package. Then your paying for two so it doesn't make sense. However if I book a room only reservation then I do book the room for two as then it looks like I'm not alone. Again, its only for safety reasons but it can be a deterrent and it doesn't cost anything extra as long as its room only.
Just something to think about.

Something I didn't mention, I usually book my hotel stays for two people even though it will just be me. This is for safety reasons. The exception to that rule is if I book WDW as a package. Then your paying for two so it doesn't make sense. However if I book a room only reservation then I do book the room for two as then it looks like I'm not alone. Again, its only for safety reasons but it can be a deterrent and it doesn't cost anything extra as long as its room only.
Just something to think about.

What a great idea. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs Mel

I am a bit thoughtful about the security checks Disney is doing.
I think I will just step out of the room for the checks.
I know it sounds weird but I just would feel more comfortable doing that.
Hugs Mel

I am a bit thoughtful about the security checks Disney is doing.
I think I will just step out of the room for the checks.
I know it sounds weird but I just would feel more comfortable doing that.
Hugs Mel
I was worried about the security checks for my recent trip. Traveled with one of my daughters so it was just us 2, and sometimes either myself or (adult) daughter would be alone in room.
We had housekeeping so never had any security checks at all. I was always careful to use the latch while we were in the room.

I'm taking my second solo trip later this year. My best advice? Plan things, especially things that your significant other or family members aren't usually interested in. I mean obviously fast passes, but book some ADRs, maybe a dessert party. I like travelling alone, but I think it helps to have some things scheduled to look forward to. Next trip I have booked California Grill (always wanted to), Chefs at epcot because I do this every trip, and a Candlelight Processional dinner package. I find that servers in Disney restaurants have been wonderful to me as a solo traveller.
One other thing, I plan to request a room above the first floor, that makes me feel more secure, but I haven't felt unsafe at Disney so far.

I've been reading up on some blogs
1. be adventurous-do something new--*hot air balloon ride*
2. stay connected with someone at home
3. don't overshare personal info
4. Photo Journal your days
5. Smile and have fun
Hugs Mel

Reading this thread has got me thinking this is how I should get my fix in the next few years. DH has had enough Disney for now and the boys are all busy with their lives. Solo trip....:thumbsup2
When i was charged with finding something for a sanity break one year I wasn't sure what to do because for the same reason that hubby wanted to do nothing I was craving something to do! He had been stupid crazy busy to the point that we hadn't done more than grocery shop on the weekends for most of the year and he had a January/Feb that was promising to be just as busy. Black Friday i stumble on a deal on Expedia for a week at the Dolphin for just over $1600 for both of us, all in, direct flights from Pearson. I jumped on it because he would be able to lounge around in a hammock and read a book, sleep in, and just relax. Meanwhile, since I've been going since '71 (yup, that old!) we were both comfortable with me wandering around anywhere on my own. I cashed in miles for 3 day tickets and it was AWESOME! He slept most days till after noon and i spent hours on the Boardwalk, playing Disney Transportation Roulette (whatever comes next you take and go wherever it's going) I didn't want to waste a ticket on AKL so i spend almost 4 hours at AK Lodge and cropped the buildings out of my pictures :P We really lucked out and got the most perfect room -- if you ever look at the Dolphin you'll some curved green things towards the top -- those are actually balconies that wrap around the building and we could watch the fireworks from both EPCOT and the Studios, in our jammies !!!
So don't rule out doing a solo trip -- you can still turn a trip to the Disney area into a semi-solo trip and still enjoy the things you both enjoy.For us that was the meals we dream of at home (only place i can eat out safely! but let me tell you, the Sandals resorts sound awesome too) and just being somewhere together, quietly by ourselves. Staying sorta on-site without the in-your-face Disney theming works for someone who is "tired" of the hype.

I try,,, I really do but somehow the sons and or my granddaughter find out and the trip turns into a family adventure.

This is me for my upcoming January trip, exactly. DW is a teacher so I brought up the idea of my going down to Disney (mid January) for a few days on the cheap (low airfare, Can ticket deal, room only discount, eat at only QS places, etc) to touch base with a friend of the family who is on the cultural representative program at Epcot.

She said, Sure, but...maybe adult kid#2 would like to go as well. Oh, ok, so of course she's totally in for the trip. Fine. Then adult kid#1 wants in, too, oh well we'll make it a dad and kids trip. Then out of the blue, DW says that her school board is fine with her taking a few days off for the trip, so now we have all of us for 4 days and dad and the kids for three more after that.

Quick. Cheap. Solo. Trip. Yeah.

So now we're taking a family trip (first one we'll all be on since 2010) and I'm absolutely thrilled with it.

I think the only way I'll actually manage a solo trip will be to book it the day before leaving and text the family... from the airport!

No, I wouldn't do that....well, maybe I wouldn't.

I love solo trips. I normally go during Food and Wine, and hit up MNSSHP. If you can swing it, the deluxes are more secure, I think, for solo travellers. But, there's nothing like being able to do what you want, when you want, and only what you want.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter