Soarin' (Over California) question

irlandaise

DIS Veteran
Has anyone ever read an explanation of why Disney couldn't adjust the filming schedule for Soarin' in order to get good footage of Lake Tahoe? I'm so sad every time the helicopter crests the mountain past the skiers and reveals a stunning vista of....grey clouds.

I know that helicopters and IMAX cameras aren't cheap to rent, and with all the filming locations, the movie must have been a bear to schedule. I'm sure you can't just call up the USAF and ask them to reschedule the Thunderbirds. But when I think of what the Tahoe scene could have been, and how many people probably don't even realize it is Lake Tahoe, since they can't see it, I just wonder how that opportunity slipped by. Anyone here know?

Did you recently see the "California" version at Disney California Adventure - seems every time I've been recently it is the "World" version, I seem to recall the world version only shows Anaheim-Disneyland in the USA? When we went to the "right screen" loading, the screen had issues last week, did they switch to the California version?

Tink, no, the California version is not currently playing at DCA. They bring it back occasionally. My question is a longstanding one, not something prompted by a recent visit.

I thought WDW had Epcot at the end? Sorry I realized what you were saying now. I haven't seen the old version in such a long time, I misunderstood you and thought you were talking about the end scene. The "world" version also has Monument Valley.

We went to DCA and saw Soaring in September. Although it was nice to see the "soaring over the world" version for the first time, I liked the California one better....

We went to DCA and saw Soaring in September. Although it was nice to see the "soaring over the world" version for the first time, I liked the California one better....

Everyone likes the California version better on this coast I find , including myself. To the point I won't even bother with Soarin' most my trips unless its during DCA Food and Wine because they tend to bring it back then :)

Everyone likes the California version better on this coast I find , including myself. To the point I won't even bother with Soarin' most my trips unless its during DCA Food and Wine because they tend to bring it back then :)
I saw the "World" version once, and that's enough for me. Not only were all the locations predictable and stereotypical, I hated all the CGI.

Anyway, I guess no one here has read anything about the Tahoe sequence in the original film?

Disney is slower to make changes than we might expect, but maybe they'll see this thread if/when they go to shoot a new California Soarin' since that was done so many years ago (2000?). Soarin' is VERY popular ;)

I saw the "World" version once, and that's enough for me. Not only were all the locations predictable and stereotypical, I hated all the CGI.
I have no problem with them doing an Around the World version, especially because it makes so much sense for EPCOT. That being said, I disliked the CGI too. It looked fake. Also, I think the smells/scents are much better in the California version.

I will never understand why they replaced the California version at DCA with the Around the World Version. Around the World doesn't really fit at DCA, but the California version is a perfect fit. Also, having two different rides gives people another reason to travel to both parks, because it becomes a new thing to try at the other park.

Has anyone ever read an explanation of why Disney couldn't adjust the filming schedule for Soarin' in order to get good footage of Lake Tahoe? I'm so sad every time the helicopter crests the mountain past the skiers and reveals a stunning vista of....grey clouds.

I know that helicopters and IMAX cameras aren't cheap to rent, and with all the filming locations, the movie must have been a bear to schedule. I'm sure you can't just call up the USAF and ask them to reschedule the Thunderbirds. But when I think of what the Tahoe scene could have been, and how many people probably don't even realize it is Lake Tahoe, since they can't see it, I just wonder how that opportunity slipped by. Anyone here know?
You answered your own question perfectly.

Scheduling the Thunderbirds is not only expensive but is contingent on their schedule. They may have only been available one day and then not again for months. And back when that version was shot they did not want to use CGI as they do now.

I've never read an explanation but I've been been in production for many years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest