So, what is highest Resale Asking price you ever saw: > than $163K?

Great3

DIS Veteran
After seeing posting for DVC store for $100K for 500 points at Grand Californian (which I believe will probably have a buyer fairly quickly), I just saw today a resale listing at Aulani for about $163K asking price for 1417 points. Of course, it a Guaranteed Week 52 New Years Day's Ocean View Grand Villa, but you are paying about $11K in MF per year for that privilege.

Of course way outside of my budget, but it got me thinking, what the highest price DVC listing you ever saw, and how long does it sits on the market before there is a buyer? Maybe we should start taking bets on when there will be a buyer :).

I understand there's ultra rich people out that can drop that kind of money, but how many of them do you really think would be looking at resale market versus just buying direct from Disney? Somehow, I just don't see market for that high a points contract, but who knows, maybe I will be proven wrong quickly.

Great3

There was a GW at VGF for a grand villa a year or two ago, I think it took a month or two before it disappeared from the brokers website. I’m not sure if it sold or not though.

Seems like a few years ago there was a 2000 pt OKW that might have pushed it around that price. There's been one or two large VGF that also were pretty high. I thought a couple of pvb bungalows were sold for week 52.

Yes, some big money for timeshares!

When I was signing my contract our guide told us a story of someone walking in and buying 10000 points across multiple contracts. Wouldn’t you opt for a house?

I understand there's ultra rich people out that can drop that kind of money, but how many of them do you really think would be looking at resale market versus just buying direct from Disney?

The relatives I have who could do such a thing...woudln't. They think timeshares are ridiculous. As Aussie RJ asked, yep, they'd just buy a house instead if they felt the need to have some sort of ownership, but honestly they just wouldn't tie up that much money in something like that, and would just have nice hotel rooms paid for as the trips are taken.

I just saw today a resale listing at Aulani for about $163K asking price for 1417 points. Of course, it a Guaranteed Week 52 New Years Day's Ocean View Grand Villa, but you are paying about $11K in MF per year for that privilege...

I understand there's ultra rich people out that can drop that kind of money, but how many of them do you really think would be looking at resale market versus just buying direct from Disney?
Because Disney can't sell them what they want - convenience and surety. $11K isn't *that* expensive for New Years week in a luxury 3BR beachfront Hawaiian penthouse apartment. And the $163K is a question of the potential buyer's expectations on Hawaiian real estate over the next 10-20 years.

Ultra High demand Fixed week timeshares are a different market than 'normal' timeshares. Large units in luxury buildings during Presidents' Week in Vail (skiing) or Maui (whales) and Christmas and New Years in Hawaii all attract very wealthy buyers.

When I was signing my contract our guide told us a story of someone walking in and buying 10000 points across multiple contracts. Wouldn’t you opt for a house?

At today's direct price, whoever can afford that should look at Golden Oak, IMHO.

LAX

Eggsxatly.

Never heard of Golden Oak until now, didn't even know it existed. I agree, at 10,000+ points, Golden Oak makes more sense.

Learn something new each day, not that I will ever be needing this piece of knowledge :).

Great3

Because Disney can't sell them what they want - convenience and surety. $11K isn't *that* expensive for New Years week in a luxury 3BR beachfront Hawaiian penthouse apartment. And the $163K is a question of the potential buyer's expectations on Hawaiian real estate over the next 10-20 years.

Ultra High demand Fixed week timeshares are a different market than 'normal' timeshares. Large units in luxury buildings during Presidents' Week in Vail (skiing) or Maui (whales) and Christmas and New Years in Hawaii all attract very wealthy buyers.

Oh, I know there are plenty of wealthy buyers, and they will buy. I was more thinking that most likely, these wealthy buyers will only be looking at direct purchase, not resale market, and since it will be out of reach for almost every buyer out there at those prices, that trying to sell will be very difficult for the seller in the resale market.

I can see for the sold out resort(s), where the wealthy buyers can no longer purchase direct from Disney, they may start looking into alternatives and learn about the resale market, but with Aulani still selling points, I think it's going to be a long time before a qualified buyer happen to look at the resale market. Again, I may be wrong, but I am guessing it won't sell for a long time.

Great3

Never heard of Golden Oak until now, didn't even know it existed. I agree, at 10,000+ points, Golden Oak makes more sense.

Learn something new each day, not that I will ever be needing this piece of knowledge :).

Great3

I didn't know until I saw the "DVC snob" thread.

LAX

I can see for the sold out resort(s), where the wealthy buyers can no longer purchase direct from Disney, they may start looking into alternatives and learn about the resale market, but with Aulani still selling points, I think it's going to be a long time before a qualified buyer happen to look at the resale market. Again, I may be wrong, but I am guessing it won't sell for a long time.
It's not like I know for certain...I didn't even know DVC fixed weeks existed three months ago. But my assumption is that DVC only sells so many fixed weeks...and that the New Years weeks are long gone. But I could easily be wrong.

It's not like I know for certain...I didn't even know DVC fixed weeks existed three months ago. But my assumption is that DVC only sells so many fixed weeks...and that the New Years weeks are long gone. But I could easily be wrong.

They are limited to selling 35% of each Room type in each week. They have come nowhere near that at any resort. For the most part they really don't sell many fixed weeks nor even attempt to. The majority were sold in early Dec.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter