So how do you pronounce "milk"?

need_a_Disney_fix

DIS Veteran Extraordinaire
DIS Lifetime Sponsor
I say "mill"k. I cannot stand it when people say "melk". Its so wrong. Anyone have an opinion on this?

mil-k

Melk is a monastery in Austria ;)

mill-k

I hate when people say "melk" too. Growing up, the family next door said "melk". Still makes my skin crawl.

I don't believe I've heard it pronounced "melk." My daughter used to pronounce it (when she was a toddler), "Middlk," so that's how I pronounced it for awhile. ;)

OK....I confess, I say it as "melk". I don't know where I got that from as no one I know pronounces it that way. I never even realized it until a friend from Brooklyn (with her Brooklyn accent!) pointed it out to me. She also said that I pronounce bagel as beg - ell. So, tomorrow for breakfast, I'm having melk, begells and cawfee. :woohoo:

Okay, I say "melk".

I have no idea why -- I've done it since I was a kid. I know it's not probably the "correct" pronunciation (whatever that means) but I don't care! Some people have tried to correct me and I just shrug...

I try not to say it very much b/c I hate milk and never drink it. :banana:

I just asked my DS14 what that white stuff we drink is and he said 'mill-k' but I definitely say 'melk' -- I am surrounded by dairy farms around here...and always thought people say 'melk'. I'm going to have to really pay attention to this - this is funny!

Where are people saying "melk" and "aig"? :confused3

I'm in Texas and grew up around some thick accents, but I've never heard anything but m-ill-k and egg with an "eh" in the middle. Some might draw out the "eh" a bit longer than others, but it's always milk and egg.

definitely mil-k here!

Another mispronunciation pet-peeve (if the OP doesn't mind the highjack;) ) is when people pronounce crayon as "crown." Drives. Me. Bonkers!!

I say Melk... my husband says MILLk and I can't STAND it lol. It drives me crazy, but it drives him just as crazy when I say melk lol. I just grew up saying it Melk

definitely mil-k here!

Another mispronunciation pet-peeve (if the OP doesn't mind the highjack;) ) is when people pronounce crayon as "crown." Drives. Me. Bonkers!!

Its all good.

They say what?????? Crown? That is so wrong!!!

When I was growing up, we all said "melk." When I got older, I got teased about it, so I made a conscious effort to say "mill-k" and now that's how I say it.

AAAAAAAAgzzzzzzzzzzz!

OH! Thats anudda thread...Never Mind!:teeth:

Dh pronounces it melk. Pillow is also pellow.

Drives me nuts!

But considering some of the out there pronounciations his parents come up with -- I guess I should be grateful this is as bad as dh gets. :rotfl2:

I do not think I will be able to sleep tonight. I'm one of those people who goes bonkers if I hear something mispronounced. But I read this thread, I'm saying milk to myself and I'm pretty sure I pronounce it "melk". I'm panicky over it. I do not like milk and probably do not say the word very often but I think I say it wrong. :scared1: Nobody has ever mentioned to me that I do.

And if I say milk wrong, what other words are in my vocabulary that I'm unwittingly mispronouncing. I may need therapy now.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest