So, ARE the in room safes SAFE???

Carlyzmom

Axiom Crew
I was just browsing on another threat and a couple of references were made to the fact that the safes in the rooms were not safe? I was planning on keeping our extra cash in there. Makes me worry a little! :confused:

Well some of the Resorts like the Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge have installed safes you open with a 4 digit code that you choose to open them, so no key is needed. Plus when my family and I have stayed at the Contemporary and Polynesian we have used those type of safes for extra cash, passports and we always felt fine leaving those items in there.

Well some of the Resorts like the Contemporary, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Wilderness Lodge have installed safes you open with a 4 digit code that you choose to open them, so no key is needed. Plus when my family and I have stayed at the Contemporary and Polynesian we have used those type of safes for extra cash, passports and we always felt fine leaving those items in there.

Our last 5 or so stays have been at WL, courtyard and standard room and we had key safes, in 42 trips to WDW, we've never encountered a digital safe yet and we only stay at deluxes.

Our last 5 or so stays have been at WL, courtyard and standard room and we had key safes, in 42 trips to WDW, we've never encountered a digital safe yet and we only stay at deluxes.
I just assumed they got them because they were installed at the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian after their rooms got renovated and I know the Wilderness Lodge also had a recent renovation of their rooms.

In all of our stays at Disney we have always put our extra cash and my jewelry (not that it is that expensive--more sentimental) in the safe. We have never had a problem with anything missing.

In all of our stays at Disney we have always put our extra cash and my jewelry (not that it is that expensive--more sentimental) in the safe. We have never had a problem with anything missing.

Ditto.....knock on wood.

We have used the safes at Wild. Camp. Cabins, WL and at the CT. We have never had a problem. We have stored cash, credit cards, and a few other items...

I've never had any problem either. I know I once had a friend who did (not at Disney) but if they hadn't left the key in the room they probably would have been fine also. :rolleyes1

We used our safe at POR for all of our extra cash. I took the key with me each day and we had no problems. Have a great trip! :goodvibes

We never have had a problem at POP either. I always took the key with me and carried it.

I just assumed they got them because they were installed at the Contemporary, Polynesian and Grand Floridian after their rooms got renovated and I know the Wilderness Lodge also had a recent renovation of their rooms.

Please DON"T post ASSUMPTIONS as fact.
Thank You

Just remember that no matter what type of safe a hotel room has (digital or key) there is a way for someone to get in. First, if someone can break into a bank vault they can break into a room safe. Second, if you lose the key or forget the combination someone at the resort or hotel has to get the safe opened, so that same person can get in while you are away.

All that being said, the risk/reward or getting some spare cash out of the safe compared to what is in a vault probably takes care of scenario 1. It is probably a manager or security staff member with the master code or key and I doubt they will risk their job for some spare change, taking care of scenario 2.

Please DON"T post ASSUMPTIONS as fact.
Thank You

That was not called for. :sad2:

It doesn't make a whit of difference if your resort has a key type safe or a digital safe. You are always better off using the room safe than not.

My family and I are coming up on our 20th trip in April and we have NEVER encountered a security issue with ANY of the safes we have had.

We usually go for 2 to 2 1/2 weeks at a clip so between food, gas, and spending money have put thousands of dollars in cash and travelers checks in the safe as well as I.D.s, cell phones, etc.

Never had a problem ... I'd say so long as you actually remember to LOCK the safe and, if there is one, take your key there shouldn't be a problem.

I have to tell you ... the staff at Disney are good honest people! My mother once accidentally left her spending money out on the nightstand next to the bed and when we returned from the parks the room was clean and NOT 1 CENT of that money was missing! As a matter of fact, it was neatly stacked with a few mints on top of it to keep it from blowing away! LOL ;)

Don't worry ... ENJOY your vacation!

Have A Magical Day!

Frank
Disney DieHard

Thanks Frank. That's what I needed to hear. We are big Dave Ramsey fans and don't use credit cards - cash only! So, I plan on bringing quite a bit of cash, but want to only carry what I need each day. I just want to feel safe about leaving it in my room safe. I HATE dealing with travelers checks - I much prefer cash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest