Single Dad bringing daughter - Bathroom question

DizkneeDad

Earning My Ears
Something that never even occurred to me now has me freaking out. I understand this is a judgement call but I'm looking for advice/opinions/solutions.

When my daughter was 5, I had no issue taking her into the mens room with if there was a need. There were times I let her go to the bathrooms by herself, while I waited with anxiety. Yeah, I'm overprotective. haha.

So, she's 7 now. I'm not sure it's appropriate at this age to bring her in with me but I also worry about leaving her waiting alone. Curious on what you all think and how you handle it. I can't be the only one!

I went with my son this past summer, he's 7. I had him go to the men's room and he waited for me just outside the bathrooms if I took longer than he did. I also tried to be as quick as possible myself. There are some family bathrooms available in the parks as well, but they seem to be quite busy so harder to use in a rush :)

Something that never even occurred to me now has me freaking out. I understand this is a judgement call but I'm looking for advice/opinions/solutions.

When my daughter was 5, I had no issue taking her into the mens room with if there was a need. There were times I let her go to the bathrooms by herself, while I waited with anxiety. Yeah, I'm overprotective. haha.

So, she's 7 now. I'm not sure it's appropriate at this age to bring her in with me but I also worry about leaving her waiting alone. Curious on what you all think and how you handle it. I can't be the only one!
I'm a single mom with a son. :groom:

Since your daughter is now 7, it's easier than before. Just wait outside the women's restroom as she goes in to use it. Then she can wait right outside the men's room as you use that. Takes a few minutes longer than going simulaneously, but there are no worries that way. 7 is old enough to wait alone, with the explicitly discussed expectation that she isn't to leave the spot, and that she may call in to you if there is any kind of problem.

Last edited:
I think it will be fine to have her wait right outside the door for you. Have a discussion about the fact that she isn't to leave the spot you point out for her to be at.

Single traveling mum to both boys and a girl. The boys have always waited just outside the door.

Don’t be afraid to ask for help if you feel your daughter is taking too long, someone will always help out and go in and check.

If you want you can go the family restroom route, or I would suggest that you practice before you go.... going separately sending her in and you wait, then have her wait while you run in, and try sending her in and you go while she is in the restroom. This way you both get a chance to practice and she gets some experience waiting on you, a bit of confidence for her. There always seems to be a line in the ladies room so chance are that you will be able to run in and out before she comes out. Also make sure she is comfortable with any belts, zippers, or snaps on her clothing. Also go over with her about restroom hygiene, using the seatcovers, hand washing, as she will be doing this on her own experience breeds confidence. Also be aware that some restrooms have 2 entrances so she knows where to go and what to do if she goes out of the wrong side.

I just got back from a trip alone with my 8 year old son and had the same anxiety. After the first couple of times, it definitely gets easier! I second all of the above advice - just point out a spot right outside the door for her to meet you at. The nice thing about Disney restrooms is that they seem to be "hidden" for the most part, so there's not a lot of foot traffic if you take a little longer and she has to wait by herself for a minute.

And, actually, there was more than one occasion on this last trip when I was in the women's restroom and someone would come in calling a girl's name because Dad outside was worried about her. So don't hesitate to ask someone to check on her - you're not alone!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!