service dogs in the parks

A group training the dogs is one thing. One person with multiple dogs wearing costumes is not training them to be service dogs.

Sorry, not buying her story.

Oh, sorry. I wasn't referring to the OP. Just the notion of guide dogs being allowed to train in WDW.

How does one person train 3 dogs at the same time? She only has 2 hands. I agree one dog at a time. I would imagine she would have less issues.

In Florida, service dogs in training, while they are not service dogs, have the exact same access rights as fully trained service dogs. As long as they are being trained to do a task to assist disabled persons, doesn't matter what the task is, if they wear costumes or vests or what size they are, they're allowed. Don't know if Florida has some sort of rule or law as to whether a person can have multiple dogs they are training in the same place at one time. I would bet it does not. I sort of wonder what she is training these dogs to do. Emotional support dogs, which support a person's mental health by their mere presence, aren't the same as service dogs.

From the article, she claims she is being "harassed" and that Disney security guards told her to take the dogs out of Disney Springs, when she refused, they asked her to leave.

If they're really service dogs they can't ask her to leave (they can ask her to remove the dogs if they are not behaving) and they can't ask for certification (not sure if they can for dogs in training). Multiple dogs is interesting but I don't know if there's any law that clarifies the ADA on one person who claims they have multiple service dogs or dogs in training.

It's also not clear who was "grabbing her dogs and yelling curse words."

I understand this woman is something of a fixture at WDW, always with multiple costumed poodles, so it is possible they have seen enough of her and her dogs to believe she is not actually training service dogs.

Last edited:

Being trained? OK, they're not service dogs then. Disney doesn't have to let anyone train dogs on their property.

Absolutely correct!! A friend of ours trains service dogs, and said she had to ask permission to come in our home, or any other private place. They are not yet 'service' animals.

And, how, @MakiraMarlena, can the law make private places accept service dogs in training?

In Canada service/ guide dogs (and other certified animals) and those in TRAINING usually wear a vest of some sort so that the public know that they are a working animal. Those in training with the vests and the handler are afforded the same rights as those that are certified. Businesses CAN reserve the right to see certification if that want, but can not deny access or service in areas the general public is allowed after seeing the certification card. There are advocacy groups calling for Government issued ID For service animals.

Not addressing legitimacy or training status...

From the ADA FAQ site (https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html)

Q13. Can people bring more than one service animal into a public place?

A. Generally, yes. Some people with disabilities may use more than one service animal to perform different tasks. For example, a person who has a visual disability and a seizure disorder may use one service animal to assist with way-finding and another that is trained as a seizure alert dog. Other people may need two service animals for the same task, such as a person who needs two dogs to assist him or her with stability when walking. Staff may ask the two permissible questions (See Question 7) about each of the dogs. If both dogs can be accommodated, both should be allowed in. In some circumstances, however, it may not be possible to accommodate more than one service animal. For example, in a crowded small restaurant, only one dog may be able to fit under the table. The only other place for the second dog would be in the aisle, which would block the space between tables. In this case, staff may request that one of the dogs be left outside.

Flame away. I love my dogs but I am sick and tired of every store I go to (including grocery stores) where there are many dogs with "service dog" vests on. Dogs are not people and if you truly can't be without your dog for the 15 minutes when you are in a store then you need some serious help, not just a dog

Florida gives service dogs in training equal access.

Service dogs are there to help their handler and are usually trained to be unobtrusive while they are working. They generally are not put on display for advocacy or attention.

Daughter's best friends mom has a "fake" service dog. She just ordered a vest online. The dog is poorly mannered and has never received any training, my daughter's friend is embarrased by the whole thing and yet her mom brings that dog everywhere, it is never left home alone. It's frustrating to see the dog act poorly and know that it makes it harder for people with legitimate service dogs.

Flame away. I love my dogs but I am sick and tired of every store I go to (including grocery stores) where there are many dogs with "service dog" vests on. Dogs are not people and if you truly can't be without your dog for the 15 minutes when you are in a store then you need some serious help, not just a dog
:worship::worship::worship:

I knew appropriate times and places to take my 4 children.

Animals do not need to be everywhere. So tired of people expecting everyone to be welcoming to animals everywhere

She is at the parks a lot! We go once a year and see her often! Usually with at least 3 large dogs at a time. They are are well behaved but not service dog well behaved. They are always very well dressed and decorated. Very annoying though. She lets them sit on the seats of the monorail and talks to them like they are children. I've never noticed any training or attempts to modify their behavior if they misbehave, so I'm doubting that they are getting very much training during their visits...just lots of showtime.
yep, I seen her in MK with 5 dogs, poodles and one lab. She and the dogs had matching outfits. I found that to be odd that Disney allowed her in the park with all those dogs.

I think there is a truly simple solution to this problem; a state law to license animal trainers. (The ADA forbids requirements of ID for the disabled, but a trainer is something else again. If you can license beauticians, you can license dog trainers.) Legitimate charities could get their trainers licensed at no charge by passing a state review.

I have seen legitimate service dogs in training many times in the Disney parks. They are always being handled one-on-one, and the vest identifies the charity that is sponsoring the training. The person mentioned in the article definitely has an aura of fakery trailing behind her.

There is a very long discussion about this case over on another site "which is not to be mentioned". It's a very good discussion................

Providing proper access and accommodations for the disabled is a good thing. Getting to the point where no one is allowed to question anything one does for fear of being sued is not a good thing.

Someone who is legitimately disabled and/or a legitimate service animal trainer should be able to understand that people lie, cheat, and game systems like this all the time. They also should understand that businesses have a vested interest in ensuring that those animals who enter their place of business are, in fact, properly trained service animals who will not create issues for their other customers like the average pet would. Allowing the phonies to get away with it because we don't dare question anyone does not benefit anyone -- least of all legitimately disabled people.

We cannot know all the facts of this story and there may be more to it that would change the circumstances. But from what we know so far, this has "phony" written all over it. First, this lady has already sued another business -- Costco -- over the same thing and lost that lawsuit. Second, she has been before the Florida Commission on Human Relations and again lost. Third, there is absolutely no way -- no way what-so-ever -- that a legitimate trainer is training 5, 6, or more service animals at the same time.

Where do people leave service dogs when they go on rides? You could not take a dog on a coaster.

they have temporary kennels at the attractions for service animals. There are several attractions where dogs may not accompany their handler, for safety reasons. Someone from the party can also stay with the dog.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter