Sequoia vs Newport Bay - July 2023

JulieODC

DIS Veteran
Hi All! We are getting close to our first DLP visit in July. We will be staying 2 nights (3-day park tickets) at the end of a 2 week trip to France.

We are 2 adults and 2 kids (11y, 8y)

Right now, I have us booked in a golden forest room at Sequioa, but am debating switching to Newport bay, in a compass room.

We love YC, but also love WL - so debating between the vibe and atmosphere of NB and SL. I was also considering whether the outdoor pool would be an added bonus at NBC? I’d also seen some recent reviews of SL and it sounded dated, dark, and small.

I’d love opinions on which resort to go with!! Thank you!!

We stayed at Newport last year in July and loved it. We didn't do Compass Club as our travel advisor said it's not worth it? She did get us a room at the end of the hallway, high floor, looking straight out to the lake. We really liked our room, the breakfast buffet was fantastic & fast (needed to make rope drop!), great service and we also liked the lounge.

The pool was the most disappointing part of the whole 3 days we were at DLP: I knew it wasn't a resort like at Disneyland or WDW, but it was still shocking to go to a pool that seemed neglected. It was kind of dirty on the pool deck (we went outside) and not being able to get a drink or have pool service was meh. Very few chairs & umbrellas. It was a nice break for our daughter. But the pool wasn't the vibe we wanted!

We stayed at Newport last year in July and loved it. We didn't do Compass Club as our travel advisor said it's not worth it? She did get us a room at the end of the hallway, high floor, looking straight out to the lake. We really liked our room, the breakfast buffet was fantastic & fast (needed to make rope drop!), great service and we also liked the lounge.

The pool was the most disappointing part of the whole 3 days we were at DLP: I knew it wasn't a resort like at Disneyland or WDW, but it was still shocking to go to a pool that seemed neglected. It was kind of dirty on the pool deck (we went outside) and not being able to get a drink or have pool service was meh. Very few chairs & umbrellas. It was a nice break for our daughter. But the pool wasn't the vibe we wanted!

Thanks for the feedback - especially about the pool! That’s a bummer to hear! After 2 weeks sightseeing, having some pool time was a draw for our girls!!

How old are your girls? Our daughter was 13, and it was the same decision for us about having access to a pool. We were in Europe for a month and it was the only pool time she got!

It was worth it for her: for my husband and I it was meh. She's kind of spoiled by the pools at Disneyland and even the occasional cabana day but she was really happy to just have some downtime at the pool.

I would recommend it if you go in having low expectations.

I did club level in both, I prefer Sequoia. I think the lounge is nicer, same for the bar. It has more atmosphere. But then again, I couldn't care less about nautical decor. That's a meh theme to me.

Also been in both pools, I think Sequoia's pool is better themed. All the wood make it much warmer. NPB's pool has a more standard pool feel.

Do you actively plan to use the pool?
July = busy. All of Europe is on holiday.
So, even with the longer opening hours, you won't do as much on a 3-day July trip than a 2-day February trip.
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to do (most of) the park, but taking a few hours out of your park-schedule for pool time.

I did club level in both, I prefer Sequoia. I think the lounge is nicer, same for the bar. It has more atmosphere. But then again, I couldn't care less about nautical decor. That's a meh theme to me.

Also been in both pools, I think Sequoia's pool is better themed. All the wood make it much warmer. NPB's pool has a more standard pool feel.

Do you actively plan to use the pool?
July = busy. All of Europe is on holiday.
So, even with the longer opening hours, you won't do as much on a 3-day July trip than a 2-day February trip.
Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to do (most of) the park, but taking a few hours out of your park-schedule for pool time.

Thank you! The SL decor spoke to us initially when we booked and I started to second guess myself! This is good input!

Do you plan to walk back and forth to the park multiple times a day? Sequoia lodge is about 5 minutes closer. Not a huge amount, but as a tie-breaker at the end of a long day or in the middle of the heat of the day, or if it's raining? WIN goes to Sequoia Lodge. If you plan to use the bus transportation, it doesn't matter much.

Love Sequoia lodges calm natural feel after a busy day at the parks. It always felt quiet and restful. Even the walk back after you passed the Hotel Marvel was serene. The standard rooms are more WDW moderate level, with the overall building feel being a cross between a really nice moderate and a deluxe.

The parks are open late in July and the sunset is late so the fireworks are late, like after 10pm late. It can be really nice to leave for a few hours in the middle of the day when all the lines are long and take a break or a nap at your hotel and then head back for dinner and fireworks. With that strategy in mind, and assuming you are planning to walk between the parks and your hotel, I'd choose Sequioa. But 5 minutes extra isn't so much more if that one appeals to you more.

Don't stress it to much, pick one you like. The parks are the real star here anyway.

We had a bad experience with Sequoia and the quality of the rooms. Feel free to check my reviews that I have posted on these boards, it talks about the issues

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter