Second Guessing Myself and Need Help

rt2dz

DIS Veteran
We are going in May (18-20) and I bought 3-day park to park tickets because we decided not to get the express pass. Mainly to not stay onsite and save money, but at a partner hotel so we still get in an hour early, or at a value onsite hotel. I have one on the spectrum, so we get a disability access pass and I was thinking the savings on that stuff to have more to spend in the park would be better. But now I'm second guessing myself.

Should we still get express passes? If so, does anyone know how I would upgrade the ticket? Can I do that in advance? I bought my tickets from a third-party reseller at old rates (plus a discount). Is there a way to get discounts besides the AP rate?

Anything else? We've never done Universal Orlando before (have done Hollywood) and I just feel so lost and confused. We're tacking this on at the end of a Disney trip. In case it matters, there are six of us. SO, two rooms or a big suite that costs more than two rooms.

I am not able to answer all of your questions, but one thing I wanted to point out for you is that I believe in order to get the hour early entry perk at a partner hotel, you have to actually book a ticket & hotel package though Universal. Just booking a room at a partner hotel will not grant you early access to the parks.

If you want to stay on-site, you can get a discount on hotel rooms if you have just 1 'Seasonal Pass' in your group. Once you get to Universal, you can upgrade one of your 3-day park-to-park tickets for a minimal cost (estimating between $10-$20). When I look at the hotel discount with a seasonal annual pass, it looks like you have 2 reasonable options.

1. Cabana Bay (will give you Early Entry only) - Family Suite that holds 6 with roll away beds (might be tight) - $164 per night.
2. Portofino Bay (will give you Early Entry & Express Pass for everyone in room) - 1 Parlor Suite with connecting 2 Queen bedroom - holds 7 max - $487 per night. I know this sounds expensive, but it does give express pass for everyone, including the entire day of your check-out day. You can minimize the expense by just booking for 1 night, that will give you 2 full days of express pass - the day of check-in and check-out. You can check into the hotel before the park opens on check-in day to maximize the express passes.

Here is the link to check prices of hotels using the annual pass holder discount:

https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/d...hildren=4&promo=aph&iata=&group=&hotels=&ada=

That’s good to know about the partner hotels. Somehow I missed that. That does limit me to the value resorts, which I was leaning to anyhow.

I’m still riddled with problems with Portofino Bay. I’ve already bought tickets, so getting an AP, even just one, might not be in the cards. And for sanity sake, we need a room for three nights no matter what. A child with Autism just can not room hop three times in a week. Just how important is the Express pass?

That’s good to know about the partner hotels. Somehow I missed that. That does limit me to the value resorts, which I was leaning to anyhow.

I’m still riddled with problems with Portofino Bay. I’ve already bought tickets, so getting an AP, even just one, might not be in the cards. And for sanity sake, we need a room for three nights no matter what. A child with Autism just can not room hop three times in a week. Just how important is the Express pass?

Hi I totally understand you second guessing yourself. My DD (16) has Asperger's so I totally understand what you are going through. We have been going to Universal since she was about 11 almost every year. Universal basically has the same accessibility pass as the others. You get a time to come back based on the wait. Once in awhile if it is under 20 minutes you get right on. Overall this pass helped a lot but it is not like having the express pass. However, after the first year of doing this we decided to switch to on-site and get the unlimited express pass. All children with autism do respond a little different. My DD now at 16 is much better with things then she was 5 years ago. Only you know what your child would need.

We were very lucky that even though she didn't like change we were able to do split stays with the Universal hotels when she got older. The first few years we just stayed at one hotel for the duration. It sounds like you will have the problem of changing hotels and I understand that.

The Express Pass is not linked to tickets so you can just put that aside. It sounds like you got the best discount on tickets already with out getting a pass. You could upgrade to a season pass when you get there if you wanted to. The Express Pass comes with the 3 deluxe on-site hotels or buying the express pass separately. It does not matter what tickets you have to purchase express pass at the park. With that said the express passes can be very expensive. On a cheaper day for unlimited it could be $99.00 dollars per person. It adds up quickly so that is why the great posters on this board recommend on-site stay. You are going over a weekend in May and it can be heavier crowds, not summer crowds but could be busy.

I know with my DD when she finds something she likes she likes to ride it a few times and having the unlimited express pass is a dream for that. I am not sure if your child is like that. I think you need to think about how much your family likes to ride things and how much. If your a family who wants to go on all the rides and multiple times the pass would be handy. You can still enjoy Universal without the passes you just have to have different expectations. My family personally would not do the parks without it.

I do have a question. Were you planning on going over to Universal on the morning of the 18th and then spending the 18th and 19th at an off-site then spending the day on the 20th? I think the amount of time you are planning each day might make a difference. I would be happy to try and give a suggestion based on what your plans are.

Well, you do not actually have to buy an AP at this point to get the hotel room discount. You just need to upgrade one of your existing tickets after you get to the parks. The cost to upgrade a 3-day ticket to a Seasonal AP is minimal compared to the up-to 30% discount you could receive for the on-site hotels.

I really can't speak to any experience with Express Pass. We will be staying on-site for the first time this April. However, for our family it will absolutely be worth the cost of staying at a deluxe resort. Our son is on the spectrum and has OCD, so for us, express pass is very important. Just an FYI, if I were to buy express passes for the 4 of us for 3 days, that cost alone would be more expensive than staying in one of the deluxe hotels that includes express pass. So, in my head, it is like getting a free room at an on-site deluxe resort!

Should we still get express passes? If so, does anyone know how I would upgrade the ticket? Can I do that in advance? I bought my tickets from a third-party reseller at old rates (plus a discount). Is there a way to get discounts besides the AP rate?

I am a bit confused by this part of your question...express passes are not linked to your tickets. You either get the unlimited express pass for each member of your party with one of the top tier hotels - PBR, RPR or HRH OR you can purchase this or the "one-ride" express pass. If you are purchasing express passes, this can either be done in advance through the Universal website or purchased onsite when you arrive at the park or at any time throughout the day at a kiosk in the park.

Hi I totally understand you second guessing yourself. My DD (16) has Asperger's so I totally understand what you are going through. We have been going to Universal since she was about 11 almost every year. Universal basically has the same accessibility pass as the others. You get a time to come back based on the wait. Once in awhile if it is under 20 minutes you get right on. Overall this pass helped a lot but it is not like having the express pass. However, after the first year of doing this we decided to switch to on-site and get the unlimited express pass. All children with autism do respond a little different. My DD now at 16 is much better with things then she was 5 years ago. Only you know what your child would need.

We were very lucky that even though she didn't like change we were able to do split stays with the Universal hotels when she got older. The first few years we just stayed at one hotel for the duration. It sounds like you will have the problem of changing hotels and I understand that.

The Express Pass is not linked to tickets so you can just put that aside. It sounds like you got the best discount on tickets already with out getting a pass. You could upgrade to a season pass when you get there if you wanted to. The Express Pass comes with the 3 deluxe on-site hotels or buying the express pass separately. It does not matter what tickets you have to purchase express pass at the park. With that said the express passes can be very expensive. On a cheaper day for unlimited it could be $99.00 dollars per person. It adds up quickly so that is why the great posters on this board recommend on-site stay. You are going over a weekend in May and it can be heavier crowds, not summer crowds but could be busy.

I know with my DD when she finds something she likes she likes to ride it a few times and having the unlimited express pass is a dream for that. I am not sure if your child is like that. I think you need to think about how much your family likes to ride things and how much. If your a family who wants to go on all the rides and multiple times the pass would be handy. You can still enjoy Universal without the passes you just have to have different expectations. My family personally would not do the parks without it.

I do have a question. Were you planning on going over to Universal on the morning of the 18th and then spending the 18th and 19th at an off-site then spending the day on the 20th? I think the amount of time you are planning each day might make a difference. I would be happy to try and give a suggestion based on what your plans are.

THANK YOU so much! That was incredibly helpful.

We are at disney the evening of the 12th and checking out the 18th. We are at disney with a group for an event and are adding on universal. We then plan on heading over to Universal early on the 18th, spending time at at the parks on the 18th, 19th, and 20th. We will then leave to head home (my ASD one cannot fly. It’s just too traumatic for him at this point still). It’s a good 15 hour drive, so I don’t want to leave in the night.

Last edited:

I am a bit confused by this part of your question...express passes are not linked to your tickets. You either get the unlimited express pass for each member of your party with one of the top tier hotels - PBR, RPR or HRH OR you can purchase this or the "one-ride" express pass. If you are purchasing express passes, this can either be done in advance through the Universal website or purchased onsite when you arrive at the park or at any time throughout the day at a kiosk in the park.

I understand the Express pass is not linked to tickets. What I worry about, and wasn’t clear about (I knew what I meant), was having an AP for the room discount. Without an AP discount, rack rate is around $700 per night for two rooms (both, not each) or $1000 per night for the suite. This makes having the AP rate essential.

I don’t think it makes sense when I run the numbers to stay at a value hotel and buy Express pass separately if I can get an AP rate.

I already purchased tickets, with a fairly good discount, from a third party vender (It’s a travel club that I am a paid member of). I’m not sure about the upgrade process and if I would need to do it prior to check-in or just sometime during the first day. Or even if I can upgrade.

Having the ap does not mean you will get the ap hotel discount by showing it when you check into the onsite hotel

The reservation needs to be booked with the ap rate to get that discount

I have lucked out getting an ap hotel discount once before

If the allotted rooms for ap have been filled, then go with another discount if available

Having the ap does not mean you will get the ap hotel discount by showing it when you check into the onsite hotel

The reservation needs to be booked with the ap rate to get that discount

I have lucked out getting an ap hotel discount once before

If the allotted rooms for ap have been filled, then go with another discount if available

Maybe I’m not understanding what you are saying, or maybe I’m not being clear again—if I ever was.

It is my understanding that you do not need the AP in hand to book the reservation, but do need proof of the AP at check-in. There are AP rates available during our dates, or there was yesterday morning. It was just still considerable higher than staying at a value. Hence, why I originally decided to skip Express pass and bought tickets elsewhere. I am now second guessing that decision.

Do you not need an AP in hand when you check in?

I am just trying to figure out if the Express pass is worth the (much) higher hotel rate, even with an AP discount. And if so, how do I go about getting the AP discount if I can’t upgrade until after I check in. I know Disney used to (and maybe still does) let you just come back during your stay to prove you had an AP (upgrade/renewed/purchased) before check-out. If not, they would just remove the discount.

Maybe I’m not understanding what you are saying, or maybe I’m not being clear again—if I ever was.

It is my understanding that you do not need the AP in hand to book the reservation, but do need proof of the AP at check-in. There are AP rates available during our dates, or there was yesterday morning. It was just still considerable higher than staying at a value. Hence, why I originally decided to skip Express pass and bought tickets elsewhere. I am now second guessing that decision.

Do you not need an AP in hand when you check in?

I am just trying to figure out if the Express pass is worth the (much) higher hotel rate, even with an AP discount. And if so, how do I go about getting the AP discount if I can’t upgrade until after I check in. I know Disney used to (and maybe still does) let you just come back during your stay to prove you had an AP (upgrade/renewed/purchased) before check-out. If not, they would just remove the discount.

You are correct. You can book the AP rate ahead of time and as long as you show them your AP card while you are a guest they will honor it. I posted a link to a thread above I think will help you if you read the whole thing.It is only one page.

THANK YOU so much! That was incredibly helpful.

We are at disney the evening of the 12th and checking out the 18th. We are at disney with a group for an event and are adding on universal. We then plan on heading over to Universal early on the 18th, spending time at at the parks on the 18th, 19th, and 20th. We will then leave to head home (my ASD one cannot fly. It’s just too traumatic for him at this point still). It’s a good 15 hour drive, so I don’t want to leave in the night.

Your welcome and please you can pm me if you would like if I can help any more.

There have been some that did not book the reservation for the ap discount

That is what I stated

As long as your booking was based on the ap rate, no problems

Some have asked when they check into the hotel, request to have the ap rate applied but their reservation was made at the standard room rate

Ap rate rooms do sell out
When the allotted number of rooms are booked, can’t switch room rate at check in time

That was why I posted that info previously

I have always posted how to upgrade tickets to an ap in order to keep a reserved ap rate valid when at the hotel

Given the situation you’ve described I would absolutely get EPs. They will give you a ton of added flexibility so that you are waiting in minimal lines, can ride things over and over, or can send other kids quickly through a line if your one kid needs some quiet time to decompress. The EP savings will more than offset the hotel (plus the hotel is close to the parks making it easier to head back to the room if anyone needs a break).

Book the APH discount online now. Then at check in explain that you are picking up your AP during the trip, go to the parks and upgrade, show the front desk before check out.

There have been some that did not book the reservation for the ap discount

I’m not trying to be rude, but I do not understand what that ^^^ means. Are you trying to say I don’t need to book an AP rye? I know I can book a room at rack rate, but why would I when a discount is available? I travel quite a bit and I never pay rack rate. Most people don’t. Plus, there are other benefits to be had by having an AP if I’m going for the discounted room anyhow.

Some have asked when they check into the hotel, request to have the ap rate applied but their reservation was made at the standard room rate

Ap rate rooms do sell out
When the allotted number of rooms are booked, can’t switch room rate at check in time

And again, I’m not understanding how this applies. I’m not even slightly asking about getting an AP rate after-the-fact. I am asking if it is worth paying for the more expensive hotels to just get the Express pass. Is the press pass really worth the extra cost? And if so, how do I go about it at the best rate (AP) when I already have non-AP tickets.

If I am missing something, please explain it to me in some other way. I want to understand so that I can make the best decisions possible. I just feel I am not grasping what you are saying because I just don’t get how it applies.

I have always posted how to upgrade tickets to an ap in order to keep a reserved ap rate valid when at the hotel

That would be helpful, I think. Can you point me to that information? I obviously haven’t found that on my own. Part of the problem possibly being that I’m using my phone and not a computer.

Personally, I think you'll have a better vacation if you stay at one of the three hotels with express passes. Your waits in line will be minimal, which will make a huge difference for your daughter. You don't need to have your AP in hand. If you find a good AP rate, just snag it and tell them at the desk (if they even ask) that you have to upgrade and you will show them your AP before you check out. If they ask to see it, just take your ticket to guest services (either at the hotel or at the parks) and they will just charge you the difference between the AP price and your ticket price.

You can get a room at the Portofino for $289/night with the AP for your dates .... https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/i...ooms=1&adults=2&child1=0&promo=aph&iata=&ada={2}

That is a great price for the Portofino and I don't think you can get express passes for all of you for that rate!

I’m not trying to be rude, but I do not understand what that ^^^ means. Are you trying to say I don’t need to book an AP rye? I know I can book a room at rack rate, but why would I when a discount is available? I travel quite a bit and I never pay rack rate. Most people don’t. Plus, there are other benefits to be had by having an AP if I’m going for the discounted room anyhow.

And again, I’m not understanding how this applies. I’m not even slightly asking about getting an AP rate after-the-fact. I am asking if it is worth paying for the more expensive hotels to just get the Express pass. Is the press pass really worth the extra cost? And if so, how do I go about it at the best rate (AP) when I already have non-AP tickets.

If I am missing something, please explain it to me in some other way. I want to understand so that I can make the best decisions possible. I just feel I am not grasping what you are saying because I just don’t get how it applies.

That would be helpful, I think. Can you point me to that information? I obviously haven’t found that on my own. Part of the problem possibly being that I’m using my phone and not a computer.

So what mac is saying is that some folks book the room without the discount code APH. Then, upon arriving to check in, ask that the get the APH rate. She is saying that it will most likely not work.

What you need to do is
1. look at the prices to first determine if you want to book at the APH rate, remember the rooms you want to look for are at Royal Pacific, Hard Rock, and Portofino Bay.
Click this link to check the rates for your days, it already has the APH code loaded into it: https://res.windsurfercrs.com/ibe/d...ode=&group-code=&promo=aph&sr=&iata=&hgID=641

2. If rates are available then book the room

3. Upon check in if they ask you for the AP card, indicate you will be upgrading a ticket and will show the card as soon as you can (sometimes they do not ask, it seems to vary based on the hotel and staff member)

4. Upgrading the ticket(s) to AP is very easy, visit a guest services desk in either the park (after using the ticket for entry) or I've also read some resorts have them (never visited a resort version of these so I cannot speak to that). Say "I want to upgrade this ticket to a Seasonal Annual Pass. If you do not want to visit Volcano Bay water park, ask for the 2 park version as that will save you money. They will look at your ID, enter the information, upgrade the ticket, and you will pay the difference between the value of the ticket and the value of the AP. I do not know what that is but it might be in the ballpark of $20 or $30.

5. After that you will get a plastic card that says Universal Studios Seasonal Passholder. You can then show that to the front desk if they want to see it. All told, it will only take a few minutes to upgrade if no one else is in line. I suggest you do it either at the resort if they have the appropriate desk or inside the park itself.

My oldest son is on the spectrum. He loves DW (RnRR is his all-time favorite ride) because we have a set routine. We stay onsite at the Boardwalk when we go. We get up, hit a park, do our stuff, have lunch and then do an afternoon break at the hotel. He likes to take a break, swim and then go back later in the day. The rest of the family likes this too, so our DW trips always work out well.

We stayed at Bonnet Creek on our first Universal trip. We had four-day tickets, but no EP or onsite perks. My son loves the Simpsons and roller coasters, but we did not follow our DW routine. We stayed in the parks all four days from open to late evening. He got irritated after the second day and refused to go on the fourth day, so he stayed at the hotel with my father-in-law. He wasn't into another Universal visit until I explained Dad's plan for our March 2018 trip; we're staying at the Hard Rock, we'll have EP, onsite perks and annual passes. He loves music and we'll be able to do our DW routine. He's bouncing off the walls in excitement this time and is 'ready to rock.' He knows that there will be breaks and plenty of time to swim. Schedule is key in our house :).

The EP will come in handy because he likes to do repeat rides on roller coasters and water rides. I have a feeling that we will ride the Hulk and RRR a dozen times. Plus, it's always funny when Dad gets wet, so I foresee multiple trips on Popeye and Dudley Doright. We can't really do that at DW but we can do it at Kings Island since we live only 15 minutes away. I think he sees it as the best of both worlds, DW and Kings Island.

We couldn't do that on our last Universal trip because the lines were too long. I checked into EP at the park and it was going to be over $500 for the family so it was a no-go. Overall, I think this trip will be 100x better.

HTH

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter