• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Seattle Hotel Recs for RCL Alaska Sailing

lemonpan

Mouseketeer
Hi Folks!

At the end of July, we're sailing out of Seattle for a Royal Caribbean Alaskan cruise and will be arriving in Seattle the day before our cruise departs.

If you have any hotel recs, I'd love them.

Right now, the cost of hotels in downtown Seattle is fairly high. (Over $300 per night.)

I'm wondering if staying out by the airport is something to consider as we won't be doing any sightseeing.

If you've sailed out of Seattle, I welcome your opinion.

Thanks so much!

If you're just flying in the day before you could stay at a hotel near the airport and then book a transfer from the airport to the port for the next morning. However, if you have time and want to explore Seattle (Pikes Market, Space Needle, Chiully Gardens) then I'd spend the money on a Seattle hotel.

I'm local. I can tell you that the prices will not go down. During cruise season everything in a 60 mile radius sells out regularly. Hotels know this. So a hotel that is $100/nt during the winter, starts at $300 during the summer.

There are a few options other than staying out at the airport. First, how old are your kids? How many do you have?

First option (and most unlikely given that this is the dis) is that if your kid is actually an older teen, you could stay in hostels. There are three in prime locations- the best of which is city hostel in Belltown. Two adults and one teen would be 90-120 per night. Best deal downtown. I mean, I get it, bunks aren't much fun, but you'd be walking distance from everything with no commute. If you have 2 adults and multiple kids, you could probably rent a small dorm room out as a private room if you call the hostel and ask. They'd still charge you per person, but some city hostel dorms have ensuite bathrooms so you wouldn't have to use the bathroom in the hall or be limited by your kids ages (kids under 16, sometimes younger, can't share dorm space with strangers.)

Second option also involves shared bathrooms. I think both Moore Hotel and Ace have euro style accommodations. So does hotel hotel hostel. Meaning it is set up as a hotel but with shared bathrooms. Moore is the cheapest option- it's old but clean and smack in the middle of downtown. They are the cheapest because oddly they don't seem to do surge pricing. Because of this, you would need to make a reservation asap. The chief problem with the Moore is max capacity is four people. So if you have 3 kids, that means 2 rooms. But you can get a suite with kitchen that houses 3-4 people for $150, and that's tough to find elsewhere even off season. Second problem with Moore is no A/c. Not generally a problem even in July (really, it's not) but some people like sleeping cold, so it could be a deal breaker. Ace is probably a bit better amenity wise but also more expensive. And it may be already sold out. I don't know when you sail, but I checked last weekend of July and there is 1 room left Friday, nothing left Saturday.

Airport is not an awful option. Here's why: a decent airport will have a 24 hour shuttle that will pick you up and drop you off at the link light rail station at the airport. It's 2.75 to ride the link to downtown, takes 40 minutes one way. very clean and pleasant. I wouldn't do it if I had really young kids or elderly relatives with me, but if you're an active family, it's well worth saving the money.

(The thing is, Moore and Ace are reasonable prices for what you get. But if you get a room at say the Seattle center travelodge at summer rates, you will NOT be impressed. That place is barely reasonable at 120 during the winter. $300 is gouging and thy know it- they just also know that they'll fill those rooms).

I'm local. I can tell you that the prices will not go down. During cruise season everything in a 60 mile radius sells out regularly. Hotels know this. So a hotel that is $100/nt during the winter, starts at $300 during the summer.

Airport is not an awful option. Here's why: a decent airport will have a 24 hour shuttle that will pick you up and drop you off at the link light rail station at the airport. It's 2.75 to ride the link to downtown, takes 40 minutes one way. very clean and pleasant. I wouldn't do it if I had really young kids or elderly relatives with me, but if you're an active family, it's well worth saving the money.

(The thing is, Moore and Ace are reasonable prices for what you get. But if you get a room at say the Seattle center travelodge at summer rates, you will NOT be impressed. That place is barely reasonable at 120 during the winter. $300 is gouging and thy know it- they just also know that they'll fill those rooms).

Thanks so much for this answer! I don't have children. For this trip, it's just my mother, aunt, and me. For them, hostels and shared bathrooms wouldn't work. Since we really just need a place to sleep and rest from traveling, I'm thinking an airport hotel might be our best bet.

I'll save sightseeing in Seattle for when I travel to the city with my husband!

If you're just flying in the day before you could stay at a hotel near the airport and then book a transfer from the airport to the port for the next morning. However, if you have time and want to explore Seattle (Pikes Market, Space Needle, Chiully Gardens) then I'd spend the money on a Seattle hotel.

I don't think we'll have time to do any sightseeing (although I'd love to!). My aunt has some physical limitations. After a day of travel, and with the cruise ahead, I think hanging out at the hotel is the best for us. I'm thinking of booking a hotel near the airport. Thank you *so much* for the advice!
:-)

I don't think we'll have time to do any sightseeing (although I'd love to!). My aunt has some physical limitations. After a day of travel, and with the cruise ahead, I think hanging out at the hotel is the best for us. I'm thinking of booking a hotel near the airport. Thank you *so much* for the advice!
:-)

Since it is one night, and if the ladies like to dine out, I would consider splurging and staying at a nice hotel downtown. There really isn't much out by the airport- whereas there are several nice hotels downtown with good attached bars and restaurants. And then also it would take you less time to get to the cruise the next day.

Since it is one night, and if the ladies like to dine out, I would consider splurging and staying at a nice hotel downtown. There really isn't much out by the airport- whereas there are several nice hotels downtown with good attached bars and restaurants. And then also it would take you less time to get to the cruise the next day.

What would you recommend?

I was first looking at the Holiday in express, which I am use to being just over $100 for, but the one near SEA is nearly $300 .... I would much rather fly in for the day, but it just takes 1 airline screw up to wreck the cruise, you know?

What would you recommend?

I was first looking at the Holiday in express, which I am use to being just over $100 for, but the one near SEA is nearly $300 .... I would much rather fly in for the day, but it just takes 1 airline screw up to wreck the cruise, you know?[/QUOTE

Holiday inn express downtown is 300? Because I believe that- that's what I was talking about before and that is a crappy HIE. If it's actually near SEA (the code for the airport) that doesn't seem right. Should be around 200 on a weekend.

I don't know what your price range is or your exact dates. But I looked up Moore Hotel for July 29- 2 queen beds for $147. That really is the best you'll do.

Unless the ladies agree to a bathroom down the hall, which will make it 110 for one queen and 1 twin.

Moore has an attached coffee shop for a light breakfast in the morning, an elevator, great customer service, and a very central location.

So I would book that, take light rail from airport to downtown (west lake station) and taxi from westlake station to Moore. It's really not too far to walk, but your companions might be tired.

Ugh. See above. I don't know why it won't let me remove my response from the quote!!

We go to Seattle all the time, so I think I can give a little input here. We usually stay downtown, but have stayed by the airport a few times. The Doubletree is decent and so is the Hampton Inn. Nothing super great to write home about, but they are clean and affordable. I don't want to make it sound minimal, because it's definitely not a borderline nice hotel, I would gladly stay in either again.

If you decide to journey into the city, you can just take the Light Rail from SeaTac, it's super cheap and will stop in the middle of downtown. It's a roughly 30 minute trip each way

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...attle_Airport_28th_Ave-SeaTac_Washington.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...Hilton_Seattle_Airport-SeaTac_Washington.html

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter