Scooter in the rain tips needed!

Enorto1

Mouseketeer
Renting a scooter for the first time from an off site location. Looks like there is supposed to be some rain in the forecast while we are there. How do you keep your scooter dry if you get caught in a rain storm?

Keep a shower cap with you to cover the hand controls. You just pop the cap over the controls and operate them that way. I also keep a rain poncho with me and use the back to cover the back of the ECV and drape the front over the front of the ECV and then I have the hood over me. I also try to keep out of the rain when its pouring by going into shops or having a snack.

Before you get to the parks, read up on which attractions are inside and take more than ten minute to see. That way if a sudden FL storm comes up, you know where to hid from the rain. My rain favorites are

EPCOT-sea, land, and American Adventure. Scooter goes inside with you. Magic Kingdom Mickey's Philoharmic, Monster's Laugh Floor, and Singing Bears let the scooters inside too. In HS only Muffits and Toy Story have a long dry waiting area which let scooters enter. At AK, you can sometimes take your scooter inside for the shows like Lyon King and Nemo. As was previously suggested, stores and restaurants work well too.

Before you get to the parks, read up on which attractions are inside and take more than ten minute to see. That way if a sudden FL storm comes up, you know where to hid from the rain. My rain favorites are

EPCOT-sea, land, and American Adventure. Scooter goes inside with you. Magic Kingdom Mickey's Philoharmic, Monster's Laugh Floor, and Singing Bears let the scooters inside too. In HS only Muffits and Toy Story have a long dry waiting area which let scooters enter. At AK, you can sometimes take your scooter inside for the shows like Lyon King and Nemo. As was previously suggested, stores and restaurants work well too.
to add to the list above at AK the pandora rides lets ECV in and most of the time the lines are an hour+ long so by the time you are done the rain has stoped.

Remember if you are leaving the scooter outside for anytime to cover the controls and seat (we liked the cheap dollar store ponchos! Florida has alot of little spring showers that are unexpected and you may return to a wet seat and therefore a wet butt!

We take a clear plastic garbage bag to use over the tiller. The clear plastic protects the tiller but still allows you to set the controls and basket. Then we cover the seat with a poncho. If you leave your scooter outside, push the back down and then cover it with the poncho.

All the suggestions are right on.

What we also do is check the weather forecast quite often to see if we should be planning more inside park attractions. You can hour by hour predictions; so, if the morning is Lookin bad then we do the afternoon and evening at the parks. If the evening is looking bad then we will get the earliest morning time to get into the park. We will change our park schedule somewhat going to the park depending on the weather predictions. And believe it or not I look up at the sky especially if it suddenly gets darker looking outside and will seek cover quickly if needed.

We take a clear plastic garbage bag to use over the tiller. The clear plastic protects the tiller but still allows you to set the controls and basket. Then we cover the seat with a poncho. If you leave your scooter outside, push the back down and then cover it with the poncho.

Where do you find the clear garbage bags?

Actually, Hefty and others now sell clear "recycling" bags (at least they do in our city) and I presume you could find them on Amazon. We have a local curbside recycling program and all of our local grocery/big box stores sell 33 gallon clear bags.

Also keep in mind that many surfaces get slippery when wet. Your ECV may have less traction, skid or may need more space to stop.
There are also a lot of puddles and low spots where water gathers.

I just wanted to mention that I, too, was nervous about my scooter in the rain. Last week, it rained at least once every day of our trip. But surprisingly, I NEVER saw an ECV that was stalled out because of the rain. I saw many people still motoring along, wearing their ponchos, carrying an umbrella (to keep themselves dry, not their scooter). In the first couple minutes of my first brush with rain, I religiously got out my clear shower cap for the tiller and the poncho for covering as much of the ECV as possible. Then I looked around and saw uncovered ECVs driving thru the rain. Makes me wonder-has anyone had problems with wet controls?

I just wanted to mention that I, too, was nervous about my scooter in the rain. Last week, it rained at least once every day of our trip. But surprisingly, I NEVER saw an ECV that was stalled out because of the rain. I saw many people still motoring along, wearing their ponchos, carrying an umbrella (to keep themselves dry, not their scooter). In the first couple minutes of my first brush with rain, I religiously got out my clear shower cap for the tiller and the poncho for covering as much of the ECV as possible. Then I looked around and saw uncovered ECVs driving thru the rain. Makes me wonder-has anyone had problems with wet controls?

For me, personally, I cover up if it's more than "sprinkling". Simply because the electronics on my personal device are a bit more exposed; most of ECVs have some plastic cowling and covers over the major electrical and electronic components.

I vaguely remember someone having trouble with an ECV that got wet, but it was mentioned in passing - and I seem to recall that after the unit was dried out, it performed again, however, I wouldn't bank on that! ;)

Sadly, I think that many of the people driving around in the rain simply don't care if they ruin the rental; after all, it isn't theirs, and therefore isn't their problem (until the rental company comes after them for damages, anyway... ) There is a case to be made that just like with rental cars, rental ECVs are treated with little care. On our last trip, I saw an older man (I can't call him a gentleman due to his behavior) who found that CMs had moved his rental, and he found his rental (literally) in the middle of a pack of ECVs. He got on to his rental, and - no fooling - began "bulldozing" his way out of the pack by ramming the other ECVs as he drove backwards and forwards. This went on for several minutes, despite a CM and a manager both pleading with him to stop so they could move the offending ECVs out of the way. He eventually got a big enough hole, and drove away with out looking back.

So, maybe rain water isn't the biggest thing to worry about after all...?

I worried a lot about my Buena Vista ECV in the rain. Their website is clear to NOT get it wet by operating in the rain.
It rained 2 nights last week.
I had purchased clear “ shower caps” from a hair supply wholesaler on line. They are the type that are used for perms etc. it was a perfect covering for the tiller controls as we made our mad dash from Epcot WS to the BCV in light/ Moderate rain.
We had Moderate to heavy rain Saturday night in the AK. Here I used the “shower cap” on the tiller controls, I wore a poncho and covered the seat back and my lap, and a second poncho over the whole tiller. I positioned the second poncho so the neck opening was at the “ shower cap” so I could see my controls. I had my hands under the poncho and driving was safe and easy. I avoided big puddles so no splashing from underneath.
It worked perfectly with no issues at all. I wish I had a picture to share, but i hope my description helps someone worry less about rain.

Hi there, I think in the rainy season you need to take special care of our scooter. You should use plastic cover to protect it from rain. You should clean and keep it in a dry place after using it. You should check the tyres regularly that it is properly inflated or not. My uncle bought a new mobility scooter and he used to take special care of his scooter I also help him in cleaning his scooter and covering it.

I bring a cheap clear shower curtain to cover the ECV. Last trip we only had one day at Epcot and it was POURING. For HS! I wasn't going to waste it hiding inside so I brought the ECV under cover, and rigged the curtain to cover the entire thing but kept it away from the wheels by securing in pkace with pipe cleaners. Easy to move around the remove later. I kept it dry, and wore a poncho on myself. Downpour world showcase accomplished, with wet shoes lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!