Scooter Accessories

pbrim

Mouseketeer
This was originally posted in the main formum, but this is probably a better fit so moved it here.

I have been using a scooter (Pride Gogo Elite Traveler Plus) occasionally for about 10 years, but my mobility has been decreasing. It had gotten a little worn looking and now that I am needing to use it more (and getting out more after quarantine), I am wanting to spruce it up some (new arm pads, new shroud panels, etc). But I have been looking at accessories too.

What accessories have you found the most useful? Are rear view mirrors worth the extra width? Do those visibility flags really make a difference? Pride now has under the seat storage bins, how well do they work? Anything you have found to be not worth the money?

I use a different brand/model (Vive) and I've removed the arm rests because they annoy me and about the only accessory I use is the front basket. I have used a phone mount, cup holder, usb fan, seat attached back pack - and find they either become a distraction or just aren't secure enough. I do use an additional sort of huge waist pack in front me tied around the neck and basket.

This was originally posted in the main formum, but this is probably a better fit so moved it here.

I have been using a scooter (Pride Gogo Elite Traveler Plus) occasionally for about 10 years, but my mobility has been decreasing. It had gotten a little worn looking and now that I am needing to use it more (and getting out more after quarantine), I am wanting to spruce it up some (new arm pads, new shroud panels, etc). But I have been looking at accessories too.

What accessories have you found the most useful? Are rear view mirrors worth the extra width? Do those visibility flags really make a difference? Pride now has under the seat storage bins, how well do they work? Anything you have found to be not worth the money?

The only accessories you should add are those that make you go "Geez, I really need a (fill in the blank) on this thing"

Outside of a cupholder, the primary accessories I have on my scooters are lighting - for safety. And please, makes sure that any lights you add are very low to the ground; not just because that is where you need the light to shine, but also so that it doesn't shine right in the eyes of the little nuggets in the strollers. They are basically captive, and it's not fair to them!

You can get the "wrap" style bike lights inexpensively anywhere the sells bike accessories; some are rechargeable, and some use old-school batteries.

Try to resist the urge to add too many bins, baskets or bags to your scooter - you don't want to create what I call "pack mule syndrome", where anyone traveling with you keeps piling stuff on to your scooter all day. Your mobility device is intended to supplement your personal ambulatory abilities, not be a pack mule for the family!

Good luck!

My daughter is a full time wheelchair user, not ECV

I agree with what other posters wrote - add things that will make your use of it better.
My daughter uses armrests to shift her weight off her butt, so she needs those. Some people see no use for armrests, so they take them off

We tried different cup holders, but they got in our way lifting her in and out. Some people use their cup holders all the time, but there are many types and some stick out and become another place to account for when trying to maneuver, especially on buses.

I’ve seen people with the flags, but they don’t seem that useful to me - if someone is not noticing the ECV, a little flag is not going to help. I’ve also seen them get in the way of bus drivers securing the ECV on the bus - just another hazard for the drivers to work around. Lights are much better (and also can be seen in the dark)

For storage, think what YOU need to carry and plan storage for that. As mamabunny mentioned, you don’t want to become the pack mule for the whole group.
Also consider how well you can get into the storage. Underseat bag might be good, but can you get things in and out (my daughter has one that I use for her catheter supplies)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter