Saratoga Springs vs Wilderness Lodge

FSU Girl

DIS Veteran
Me again trying to figure out my hotel situation. Not DVC but currently booked in two bedroom villas for my upcoming trip. These are cash rooms not on points. I’m starting my trip off at Riviera and then at the moment have Copper Creek at Wilderness Lodge booked. We could save a lot of money if we switch to Saratoga Springs, but I’m completely unfamiliar with this hotel.

I’m pretty sure our only options to getting to Magic Kingdom will be a bus or driving our car correct? We plan to go twice. My husband said with the savings we could definitely book the Minnie van to go. I know they are separate buildings so would the Minnie van pick us up at our room location or would we have to get to the main building and how would we do that?

Does this hotel have interior hallways or outside hallways? Is it really inconvenient to get food since it’s not all one building like wilderness? Is the hotel noisy or quiet or is there a specific part of the hotel that’s quiet? We’ll also probably need to go back midday for baby naps.

I honestly really want the Grand Floridian villas but they’re sold out.

Me again trying to figure out my hotel situation. Not DVC but currently booked in two bedroom villas for my upcoming trip. These are cash rooms not on points. I’m starting my trip off at Riviera and then at the moment have Copper Creek at Wilderness Lodge booked. We could save a lot of money if we switch to Saratoga Springs, but I’m completely unfamiliar with this hotel.

I’m pretty sure our only options to getting to Magic Kingdom will be a bus or driving our car correct? We plan to go twice. My husband said with the savings we could definitely book the Minnie van to go. I know they are separate buildings so would the Minnie van pick us up at our room location or would we have to get to the main building and how would we do that?
The MV can pick you up at the front of your building, no problem. Rideshare can do that, too. Otherwise it's bus or your car, as you already knew.
Does this hotel have interior hallways or outside hallways?
The hallways are outside but well covered. The hallways have lots of turns, it's not just a straight front with door after door. Just a couple of doors, then a turn, couple of doors, then a turn.
Is it really inconvenient to get food since it’s not all one building like wilderness?
I can't answer that because we cook our breakfast and eat lunch in the room, then dinner out.
Is the hotel noisy or quiet or is there a specific part of the hotel that’s quiet? We’ll also probably need to go back midday for baby naps.
It's basically like a large apartment complex, and it's pretty quiet because it's spread out. Even the walkway to Disney Springs is a distance from the buildings it passes, not right under them, so you wouldn't hear noise from passersby.

There are two booking categories. The Preferred sections are Congress Park, which is the closest to DS, and the Springs, which is closest to the Carriage House where check in, restaurants, and shops are. The other category is the Standard category, which includes the Grandstand, Carousel, and Paddock. Look at the map here: https://www.wdwinfo.com/maps/SSMap.pdf.
I honestly really want the Grand Floridian villas but they’re sold out.

What is the total difference in price?

Personally I would prefer Copper Creek if your goal is to go to Magic Kingdom. We go out of our room for coffee every morning, and I did find it to be quite a hike at Saratoga (we were in Congress park) to get to the main building. I also found out I prefer interior doors/hallways to the outdoor ones.

I prefer Wilderness but if the cost savings is large enough, Saratoga Springs can be nice too. With a baby in a stroller and wanting to go to MK and nap breaks though, I would choose Wilderness. It is too nice to not have to fold the stroller after it is loaded up for the day to get on a bus but the Minnie Van would be a good solution.

We stayed at Saratoga last August and won’t stay there again. The resort is huge The resort was pretty and the room was large but we had to drive to the main building it was so far from our room. Coming back one night my son and I got off the wrong bus stop and we legit were lost for over 30 minutes before a cast member assisted us.

We stayed at Saratoga last August and won’t stay there again. The resort is huge The resort was pretty and the room was large but we had to drive to the main building it was so far from our room. Coming back one night my son and I got off the wrong bus stop and we legit were lost for over 30 minutes before a cast member assisted us.
I truly like the aesthetics of the resort. The open spaces, walkways, and water fountains are beautiful.

But once you are actually staying there, the inconveniences involved with going to the parks, getting food, etc. really start to become a factor with a multi-day stay.

You may save money by moving to Saratoga but that's because of all the amenities you will be giving up. Overall size of the resort, Interior hallways, food options within steps away, that boat ride to Magic Kingdom the amazing lobby area. Theming, both resorts are nice but Wilderness Lodge is a favorite of many for a reason.

I don't personally care for the food options at Saratoga, if we choose to book there it's because we are either walking to Disney Springs for meals or driving off property to eat.

We’ll also probably need to go back midday for baby naps.
This would be my #1 for choosing a resort.

As others have mentioned you can wheel baby onboard with the stroller onto the boat to CCV. This is going to much more convenient then getting on a bus to go to SSR and then hope you are getting off at stop #1 of 5.

Yes a Minnie van can pick you up at your building but that still means collapsing the stroller.

You will have a full kitchen in both but if you want to grab something quick Roaring Fork is in the same building which helps if the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Staying at CCV you will have access to the Boulder Ridge pool which has Free cabanas if you want nap time near the pool.

What is the total difference in price?

Personally I would prefer Copper Creek if your goal is to go to Magic Kingdom. We go out of our room for coffee every morning, and I did find it to be quite a hike at Saratoga (we were in Congress park) to get to the main building. I also found out I prefer interior doors/hallways to the outdoor ones.
It’s a lot, around $700 a night cheaper

I prefer Wilderness but if the cost savings is large enough, Saratoga Springs can be nice too. With a baby in a stroller and wanting to go to MK and nap breaks though, I would choose Wilderness. It is too nice to not have to fold the stroller after it is loaded up for the day to get on a bus but the Minnie Van would be a good solution.
Ya I’m not sure I can give up the convenience of being so close to the park

I truly like the aesthetics of the resort. The open spaces, walkways, and water fountains are beautiful.

But once you are actually staying there, the inconveniences involved with going to the parks, getting food, etc. really start to become a factor with a multi-day stay.
Ya it sounds like convenience would be going out the window

This would be my #1 for choosing a resort.

As others have mentioned you can wheel baby onboard with the stroller onto the boat to CCV. This is going to much more convenient then getting on a bus to go to SSR and then hope you are getting off at stop #1 of 5.

Yes a Minnie van can pick you up at your building but that still means collapsing the stroller.

You will have a full kitchen in both but if you want to grab something quick Roaring Fork is in the same building which helps if the weather takes a turn for the worse.

Staying at CCV you will have access to the Boulder Ridge pool which has Free cabanas if you want nap time near the pool.
We like the room for space but don’t really use the kitchen except to store milk in the fridge. It definitely sounds like we’d be giving up a lot of convenience if we switch

I've stayed at both--although at the hotel side of WL, not CC--and I like both resorts, but I love WL and that's definitely where I'd want to stay with 2 days at MK in the mix and needing to go back to the room for naps.

Have you looked into a room-only reservation at WL itself (not CC)? I'm just wondering if, with possible discounts, it might not be $700/night more expensive than SSR. Although of course I could be wrong about that. Maybe it's more expensive, and perhaps you want the DVC side of things for other reasons.

One thing to keep in mind about SSR is that there are multiple bus stops, which can be really annoying. I also don't much like either their QS or their TS restaurant, although you are so close to DS that you could eat there if you didn't mind trekking back and forth.

All that being said, SSR is certainly quiet. I've stayed there a few times and never once had a noise issue. The only area of the resort I don't recommend is that Carousel section. And, whatever section you stay in, request a room with a view of a fountain, since you don't want to be facing the parking lot.

I've stayed at both--although at the hotel side of WL, not CC--and I like both resorts, but I love WL and that's definitely where I'd want to stay with 2 days at MK in the mix and needing to go back to the room for naps.

Have you looked into a room-only reservation at WL itself (not CC)? I'm just wondering if, with possible discounts, it might not be $700/night more expensive than SSR. Although of course I could be wrong about that. Maybe it's more expensive, and perhaps you want the DVC side of things for other reasons.

One thing to keep in mind about SSR is that there are multiple bus stops, which can be really annoying. I also don't much like either their QS or their TS restaurant, although you are so close to DS that you could eat there if you didn't mind trekking back and forth.

All that being said, SSR is certainly quiet. I've stayed there a few times and never once had a noise issue. The only area of the resort I don't recommend is that Carousel section. And, whatever section you stay in, request a room with a view of a fountain, since you don't want to be facing the parking lot.
The main reason we booked a two bedroom villa is the space. My baby currently isn’t sleeping through the night and is a very light sleeper. My 3 year old moves around a lot in her sleep and would wake the baby and the baby crying would wake her. They both go to bed pretty early so we wanted the living room space to have somewhere to hang out in with the kids asleep and my parents are going to be babysit one night for us to go out for a date night. Wilderness lodge is pretty sold out for my dates I’m only seeing a firework view room available that’s almost $1,000 a night and there is a one bedroom villa at boulder ridge for the same price but we’d lose out on a place to hang out with kids asleep.

The main reason we booked a two bedroom villa is the space. My baby currently isn’t sleeping through the night and is a very light sleeper. My 3 year old moves around a lot in her sleep and would wake the baby and the baby crying would wake her. They both go to bed pretty early so we wanted the living room space to have somewhere to hang out in with the kids asleep and my parents are going to be babysit one night for us to go out for a date night. Wilderness lodge is pretty sold out for my dates I’m only seeing a firework view room available that’s almost $1,000 a night and there is a one bedroom villa at boulder ridge for the same price but we’d lose out on a place to hang out with kids asleep.
I totally understand your choice for the room.

If this were me, I'd still want to stay at CC, but I'd also want to save the $700/night. That's a big chunk of change. And SSR is fine. It's not WL, but it's not Motel 6, either!

I totally understand your choice for the room.

If this were me, I'd still want to stay at CC, but I'd also want to save the $700/night. That's a big chunk of change. And SSR is fine. It's not WL, but it's not Motel 6, either!
I am bad with budgeting lol. Originally we had a two bedroom villa off property booked that was cheaper for the whole trip than one Disney night. But they changed up the fast pass and wanted to make sure the trip was good with rides since it’s our baby’s first trip. My husband definitely doesn’t mind the inconvenience, but he’s also not the one dealing with the kids and crankiness

I am bad with budgeting lol. Originally we had a two bedroom villa off property booked that was cheaper for the whole trip than one Disney night. But they changed up the fast pass and wanted to make sure the trip was good with rides since it’s our baby’s first trip. My husband definitely doesn’t mind the inconvenience, but he’s also not the one dealing with the kids and crankiness
Despite the cost, it is just so much easier to stay on-site. And especially with your young kids.

The boat ride from MK to Copper Creek is delightful and so easy. With two young children I'd choose Copper Creek. But then I'm biased - it's our home resort and our favorite by a mile. Would your 3 year old want to go over to Fort Wilderness to see the horses? After 3 PM there is another boat that runs between WL, FW and the Contemporary. There is also a bus that runs back and forth between the Lodge and the Fort.

We've never stayed at Saratoga but have stayed at Old Key West which is similar in that it's multiple buildings spread out over a large area with an internal bus loop. It got the job done, but I'd only stay there again if I had no other choice and that's basically how I feel about Saratoga. Still, $700 a night is a good chunk of change, so I understand the dilemma.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest