San Angel Inn review

cwnhokie

DIS Veteran
I had posted a question a while back asking for reccommendations for a family friendly restaurant in EPCOT. The responses I got were Beirgarden, Teppani, and San Angel Inn in that order. After much thought, I had decided on Beaches and Cream, so DH and Grandma could try out the ice cream. Well we ended up going to B&C the day before without grandma, who was recovering from her MK day and could hardly walk, so we set out for EPCOT with no plan and no ADRs.

Sometime mid day, after an outburst by me in Turtle Talk with Crush, (with foot stomping, pouting, and arms waving about not wanting to be touched for 5 seconds) it was brought to my attention that it was time for lunch. Well I didn't want to come to EPCOT and eat in Future World, no offense to Future World but I wanted to try one of the countries. We were too tired and hungry to go very far so that made it either Canada or Mexico. We opted for South of the Border. DH opted for the sit down San Angel Inn, which surprise me, but he decided we needed a break and to recharge.

We stopped at the Kidcot station and then went to check if there was anything available. We were seated right away. I had read many mixed reviews on San Angel Inn, one of which was the complaint that it was too dark. It was very dark, I could hardly see to read the menu. We decided on Chicken Nuggets for the kids to share, Pollo A las Rajas for DH and Plato National for me. I really had no idea what I was getting. DS5 fell asleep as soon as we ordered and slept on DH's lap the whole meal. DS3 stuffed himself with chips and salsa and then rice and seemed to be a non stop eating machine. DH and I relaxed and enjoyed the scenery of the mexican market place and the Rio Del Tiempo. I am very picky about what I eat, but I could hardly see it and decided to just dig in. I'm glad I did and didn't pick through it because it was wonderful. After spending some time there I really felt like I was in another place. Mexico at dusk, not Orlando in the middle of the day. It was just what we needed to recharge for the rest of the day. I'm glad the mixed reviews didn't scare me off. Before we left DS3 and I rode El rio del tiempo while DS5 slept with DH. It was cute and just his speed, half way through he yelled "Its a small world mom!" It did resemble it. Who says 2 year olds don't remember their trip to Disney. We hadn't been on Its a small World yet this trip, so he obviously remembered it from our first trip in May 2005. It was the perfect middle to a perfect day at EPCOT, which was the perfect middle to a perfect trip to WDW!

Thanks for the review.

I know this restaurant gets mixed reviews. We love it.

I love the San Angel Inn as well, the "marketplace at dusk" atmosphere is great and really does give you a nice break from the hot, bright Orlando sun.

cwnhokie,

Let's hear it for that break in the middle of the day. It sounds like you found the perfect place!

Thanks for the review. :goodvibes

--penny

Thanks for the review. I always thought the menu looked good and so did the pictures I have seen of the food. I want to try there but have been afraid because of the bad reviews. But I might try it next time!!

Maggie

I did a search for the San Angel Inn and discovered your review. We're trying to decide whether to dine there or not. Your review helped a lot. Thanks!

:surfweb:

I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it! I love San Angel Inn, and go there everytime we go to WDW!

The San Angel Inn along with Boma is my favorite place in WDW.

MJMcBride said:
The San Angel Inn along with Boma is my favorite place in WDW.

I hate making decisions! I booked both San Angel Inn and Boma for our last night when we go in May because I couldn't decide which one to do. I asked about both when I made the ressies with the CM and he said he loved San Angel, while not being overly enthused about Boma, (although he did say their prime rib was great) but I have seen so many great reviews about Boma that I just can't decide. Why does eating have to be so complicated???? :confused: :crazy2:

Thanks for the review! San Angel Inn is my favorite place to eat at WDW.

We may try it for lunch we always say we will and still have not gone. Thanks for the review.

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter