Running in the AKL area

mousedroid

Mouseketeer
I hope it's OK to post this here (not sure if it should be in the Resorts forum).

My finacee and I are headed to Disney in early May, and we've like to get in some morning runs a couple of days while we are there. We're staying at AKL, which looks like it's kind of off the beaten path (only ever visited there once for breakfast, years ago).

My question is, is there a safe (i.e., not in traffic) area to get in a 3-6 mile (5-10k) run in the AKL area?

If this would be better posted in the Resorts forum, please let me know.

Thanks!

The short answer is not really. There's the sidewalk between jambo and kidani, and you can loop out around the kidani pool and the tennis court area. And maybe around the perimeter of the parking lots, but I've seen reports that people doing the parking lot loops were asked by security to stay on the sidewalks for safety reasons.

The short answer is not really. There's the sidewalk between jambo and kidani, and you can loop out around the kidani pool and the tennis court area. And maybe around the perimeter of the parking lots, but I've seen reports that people doing the parking lot loops were asked by security to stay on the sidewalks for safety reasons.
Bummer, but thank you for the heads up. I guess we could drive to another resort area to run. I have heard there are decent paths to run on in the Pop Century and Boardwalk resort areas?

Bummer, but thank you for the heads up. I guess we could drive to another resort area to run. I have heard there are decent paths to run on in the Pop Century and Boardwalk resort areas?
Disney won’t let you park at other resorts without a dining reservation—especially the Epcot resorts because people were trying to do that to beat everyone to rope drop at Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

I know several people on the boards here have commented that the fitness centers at AKL are really nice if it comes down to needing a treadmill (not ideal, I know, but better than nothing or a ton of down-and-backs between the buildings?)

I've heard that AKL isn't great for running unless you just want to loop the parking lot. If you have a car and want to run at a specific resort you can always make a dining reservation. You can get there a little early, run, then have dinner. For the boardwalk there is often parking at the Dolphin since it is a convention hotel but you'll have to pay.

While staying at AKL in 2019, I ran on the road that is just past the recreation area where the tennis courts are. It is a road where I am guessing workers use to get backstage for the animals (check out a satellite image for reference). When you get to the end of the tennis courts, there is a sign that says authorized vehicles only but nothing about no guest access. From Jambo where I was staying, it was about 2.5 miles out and back. You are probably not suppose to be back there but the worst they will do is tell you to go back to the sidewalks so maybe worth a shot?

Depending on how super early you want to run, you could take the bus to HS and run the Crescent Lake area. Bus to HS probably start around 7 am for 9 am opening (You can look at MDE for bus times when you are there). You also get free parking at parks as onsite guest so you could drive to HS or TTC and do one of the trails around MK or the crescent lake.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the replies and information. It is greatly appreciated.

I don't mind running on a treadmill, but my fiancée despises it. Plus, it seems a shame to go all the way to FL and then run on the treadmill.

I guess we could do the dining reservation thing. We have a reservation at Kona Grill the one morning we were planning to run. I'm just not keen on the idea of going to breakfast all sweaty. :)

Thank you all for the replies and information. It is greatly appreciated.

I don't mind running on a treadmill, but my fiancée despises it. Plus, it seems a shame to go all the way to FL and then run on the treadmill.

I guess we could do the dining reservation thing. We have a reservation at Kona Grill the one morning we were planning to run. I'm just not keen on the idea of going to breakfast all sweaty. :)
It’s Florida , probably going to be sweaty even if you didn’t run 😉

Disney won’t let you park at other resorts without a dining reservation—especially the Epcot resorts because people were trying to do that to beat everyone to rope drop at Epcot and Hollywood Studios.

This isn't a hard and fast rule. It all depends on crowds. Over Marathon weekend, the resorts were no-park zones (even Pop--which is wild). But come Monday/Tuesday that changed. I was able to park at BW--my sister was staying in villas--and had no issues.

Depending on how super early you want to run, you could take the bus to HS and run the Crescent Lake area. Bus to HS probably start around 7 am for 9 am opening (You can look at MDE for bus times when you are there). You also get free parking at parks as onsite guest so you could drive to HS or TTC and do one of the trails around MK or the crescent lake.

Keep in mind that the parking lots only open 90 minutes before park opening, so if you did this, you'd need to plan accordingly.

Crescent lake is good to get mileage. Also, at OKW/SSR you can string together miles to get close to what you need.

The campground might also be a good option. There is a quick service restaurant that does mobile orders, so if security gave you a hard time you could just place an order for pick-up there (even for a later time). Do your run around the campground loops and either pick up your food after to eat back at your resort, or just cancel the order. If you cancel before saying you're there for pick-up, you aren't charged.

I have no first hand experience with this, but looking on Google, it doesn't look like theres a gate or security to get into the parking lot at POP, so you could maybe drive and park there, and do that loop, which according to Disney is 1.38 miles. It's hard to tell from Google, but you might even be able to cross the street and join the Caribbean Beach trail to make it a longer run.

I have no first hand experience with this, but looking on Google, it doesn't look like theres a gate or security to get into the parking lot at POP, so you could maybe drive and park there, and do that loop, which according to Disney is 1.38 miles. It's hard to tell from Google, but you might even be able to cross the street and join the Caribbean Beach trail to make it a longer run.
Definitely a parking lot gate with a security guy at Pop. I have not been to a Disney resort without one. Isn’t there a path from Blizzard Beach to All Stars? Could you park at BB then run to All Stars and back? The WDW website on running trails list trails at All Stars and Coronado in Animal Kingdom area. Probably not as strict on parking at resorts that aren’t super close to parks.

Definitely a parking lot gate with a security guy at Pop. I have not been to a Disney resort without one. Isn’t there a path from Blizzard Beach to All Stars? Could you park at BB then run to All Stars and back? The WDW website on running trails list trails at All Stars and Coronado in Animal Kingdom area. Probably not as strict on parking at resorts that aren’t super close to parks.
I figured there would be, but I was looking on street view and didn’t see anything. It’s too bad that Disney has gotten so strict with not letting people drive to other resorts.

Swan/Dolphin doesn't have security, but I believe parking is like $35/day? I don't think they had hourly parking so maybe you could take an Uber there and back to be able to run the Boardwalk area.

When we stayed Wilderness Lodge, there really wasn't much area to run so I just was doing circles around the parking lot and by the cabins to get my 3 miles in.

I do not know exactly what time in the morning you wish to do your run. However, I would take the short bus ride to the transportation center (when busses begin running) and run from the transportation center through the Poly, through the Grand Floridian (lots of great steps to run on the individual buildings), in front of the Magic Kingdom to the Contemporary (go outback to the pool areas) and turn around and run back and take the short bus ride back to the WL from the transportation center. This is a beautiful run with much to look at and enjoy. The only place it may even be a bit crowded is in the front of the MK. I do this route every morning now that the walkway is open between the GF and MK. Just love it!! (Another good run is to take the bus to HS and run along the water and around the boardwalk to the back entry of EPCOT. Turn around and go back. I also love to run at Saratoga Springs that is connected to OKW but I do not have a route that I do not get "lost" on. LOL. A lot of weaving in out out. Note: Rivera is connected to Caribbean Beach. I have run there also but again I do not have a laid out route. I just run and try to remember how to get back to wherever I started. You may also run Hour Glass Lake between Art of Animation and Pop Century. It get kinda boring after so many trips around but it is beautiful.)

Embrace it! Over the last few years I do a lot of run commuting. We might be going to a park or lunch somewhere so my wife and son will drive and I run there. Some Merino wool clothing, big camping wet wipes, and practice and you will learn to do just about anything sweaty. I've even run to work a few times.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter