Mile 4- 15:41
Mile 5 – 15:25
Mile 6 – 16:27
Mile 7 – 16:09
Mile 8 – 16:15
Mile 9 – 15:20
Mile 10 – 18:30 :snail:
Official Chip Time – 2:43:37 :cheer2:

So I actually held myself together Friday night(mostly)! We did packet pickup and stopped at the running store for race day nutrition. Then we headed to Olive Garden with friends for some good ole carb loading (I don’t really believe in carb loading – but hey any excuse for Olive Garden). I kept myself pretty distracted until 10pm when I was trying to sleep. I think I finally fell asleep around 2am thanks to the “Sleep with me” podcast.

5:15am! Alarm sounds and I hop out of bed and started the music. Got dressed and ready to go! I had a breakfast bar and a PSL from starbucks. We got to the race at 6:30am. They have little tents set up so we just walked around drank our coffee and enjoyed the atmosphere!

7:30am- They start lining us up! There aren’t corals; however, there are volunteers holding pace cards and you line up by pace. Once I was all settled in my spot, I had a honey stinger stroop waffle and started crying! My husband was with me because he was running the 4 miler. The national anthem was sung and the air horn sounded, and we were off!

Mile 1 – I started jogging at a pretty easy pace! First thought in my head was “on no my foot already hurts! I’m not going to make it.” 2nd thought “Nope! Not allowed to think negative thoughts till mile 3.” I don’t remember when the “pain” (turns out I just needed to warm up) but I think it was pretty quickly after that. Strava dung in my ear to tell me that mile 1 was done in 13:17. I was running easy and I felt great! My husband caught up to me a this point and we stayed together for a couple mins.

Mile 2 – the first half of this mile was down hill so I kept up the pace. I ran when it told me to run and walked when it told me to walk. I felt great and for the first time in 3 years I though.. “I think I’m actually going to finish this thing!” When the hill started I was running. It was hard and I was going SLOW! When it was time to walk I noticed I was going faster. So I walked up the hill. No shame in my game. I looked around and the more experienced looking runners were walking too. There were a couple parts of the hill were it was flat or when it went slightly down hill – when it came to those parts, I ran. I know it’s not typically a good idea to adjust to plan on the fly but it was working!

Mile 3 – I had just heard the update from strava telling me that my last mile was under 15 mins. I thought “WOW! I’m killing it! I’m actually going to finish this!!” when the road was flat long enough to stick to my intervals I stuck to them. But it was quite hilly so for the most part, I ran when it was flat and down hill and walked up all the hills. At the end of mile 3 I took my GU. The plan was to take a GU at miles 3, 6 and 8. So I squeezed the first one into my mouth and as I was trying to open my water bottle I started gagging a little. I managed to swallow most of it, but I did spit up a little of the GU and got it all over my hand. Grossest feeling ever. So I ended up dumping a little water on my hands and got the gel off. Sticky hands for the rest of the race, but nothing crazy.

Mile 4- It was pretty uneventful until the end. My husband caught up to me again and we stayed together until he pealed off for his finish line. Before he pealed away I joked that I was about to be lonely because I was the only 10 miler in the pack. Everyone around me was wearing a 4 miler bib. But then an older gentleman turned around an pointed to his bib.. 10 miler! I caught up to him and said “you’re my buddy!”

Miles 5, 6 and 7. My buddy, Anthony, and I stuck together. I got to hear about his son and how he was going to finish in under an hour. He was an electrical designer for the same college my husband works at (my husband is also an electrical designer). Talked about his stage 5 kidney failure (he’s fine now btw – I got to hear the details of his surgery), the blood in his pee, how he doesn’t trust doctors. He told me about how all the 4 miler participants were pansies and how I should stop being friends with my non runner friends because they are holding me back.. Okay.. It wasn’t that bad! Yes he talked about all of those things, but he was a sweet guy and he kept me company and distracted. Also, miles 5 and 7 were pretty flat and the sun was beating down on us so it was a welcome distraction.

Mile 8 – So at this point Anthony ran ahead of me and I was starting to fade. It was time to take my last GU but I was out of water there was a water table at the start of mile 8 but I had forgot that I needed to take my GU. The roads were opening the roads at 10:30. It was like 10am.. I’m running down hill and I’m thinking “I’m going to beet the cut off!!!!”

Mile 8.5 – Pace care shows up… “M’am, Can you move to the sidewalk?” Me looking at my watch “Oh No! I thought I had 20 more mins!” Cop- “ We have to clear the course a little before we re-open the roads.” Me (blinking back immediate tears) “Yes sir, Okay!” Cop clearly not buying my forced positivity “Sorry! You’re doing great!!!” I moved to the sidewalk and I ran for another mile. I was hot. I was tired. I hit the wall. I was out of water and I was swept to the sidewalk. I did manage to catch Anthony again. He was mad about the side walk think and I was trying not to think about it so I just let him go ahead of me.

Mile 9 -10 – I walked. I never found it in me to start running again. I was trying to put a positive spin on it and dig deep, but I started passing people going in the opposite direction. They were wearing their medals and caring their finish blanket in hand. The volunteers were packing up and the bands weren’t playing. Even when I passed the volunteers they would kind of cheer for me but you could tell they weren’t quite sure if I was still running the race or if I was just walking around. Josh was tracking me live on Strava. He saw that the roads were open and he saw that I slowed down, so he started walking towards me and he met me just after 9.5! I was sooo happy to see him and I said “Are they still giving out medals?!” He said “I think so! The road is still closed in front of the finish line and Edie and them (friends from work who also participated) are waiting for you too! I was so happy to hear that I got to get off the sidewalk soon and I picked up the pace (still walking but with a pep in my step). We make it to the part of the road that was still gated off and people were still there and they were cheering and I could see the finish up ahead! I started running! And then I couldn’t any more so I walked for a bit. As I got closer I did start running with every thing in me and I burst into tears at the finish line! I can’t believe I finished! I feel like I got hit by a truck and it was the hardest run to date, but I finished and I’m so happy!

I felt great until I didn’t and I’m honestly so happy with how well the first 8 miles went! I’m also very pleased with how tired I was at the end of the race and the rest of the day. I really did leave it all on the course. I gave it my best and I showed up for myself! I haven’t been showing up for myself as much as I should recently, but I did Saturday.

Take Aways –

I’m capable of anything I set my mind to!
I should have taken the last GU.
I should have stuck to the training plan a little better.
If I’m up against a time limit I need to do a little more research about what happens towards the end of the time. If I had known that I was going to get moved to the sidewalk before the 2.5 hour time line, I could have mentally pre-pared for that and maybe it wouldn’t have crushed my spirit right when I needed it the most.
VA 10 Miler = Best Race Event EVER!!

[GALLERY=]IMG_6076 by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]IMG_6075 by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]IMG_6074 by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]IMG_6077 by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Me and my buddy Tony!
[GALLERY=]IMG_6077 by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]IMG_6079 by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]IMG_6080 by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Take Aways –

I’m capable of anything I set my mind to!
I should have taken the last GU.
I should have stuck to the training plan a little better.
If I’m up against a time limit I need to do a little more research about what happens towards the end of the time. If I had known that I was going to get moved to the sidewalk before the 2.5 hour time line, I could have mentally pre-pared for that and maybe it wouldn’t have crushed my spirit right when I needed it the most.
Sounds like you had a great race and learned a lot. I improved a lot between my first and second races because of the things that I learned from the first race that I could incorporate into training for the second race.

Just read my recap for the first time. 2 things! 1) sorry that I didn’t proof read! Grammer, punctuation and spelling are all things that I know exist. Sorry!! 2) I wanted to clarify that I know I was moved to the sidewalk for my safety and I know that they had to reopen the roads. I was just confused and thought they would move me at 10:30, but they opened the road at that time so they had to clear the course a little before that! I’m not mad or upset with the race in anyway!

Great recap; thank you!

Why is it so darn hard for each of us to learn the lesson that we should start slower to finish stronger? My first half marathon was very similar to your run last weekend. I started out faster than I knew I should, but I felt so strong and alive and pumped up that I figured I was just banking time and started to mentally figure out what a potential great time could be if I kept up the (too fast) pace. And it all came crashing down in the last few miles.

For you to hang on with your planned pace until the last mile or two is a testimony to your hard work and your training plan. Could you even imagine finishing a 10-miler a year or two ago? Be very very proud of your wonderful accomplishment!

Great recap; thank you!

Why is it so darn hard for each of us to learn the lesson that we should start slower to finish stronger? My first half marathon was very similar to your run last weekend. I started out faster than I knew I should, but I felt so strong and alive and pumped up that I figured I was just banking time and started to mentally figure out what a potential great time could be if I kept up the (too fast) pace. And it all came crashing down in the last few miles.

For you to hang on with your planned pace until the last mile or two is a testimony to your hard work and your training plan. Could you even imagine finishing a 10-miler a year or two ago? Be very very proud of your wonderful accomplishment!

Thank you soo much!!! I couldn't even imagine finishing a 10 miler 2 weeks ago so yea... I'm pretty proud and excited! I'm also really glad I had this experience before my first half. I definitely learned a lot. It's almost like this was a dress rehearsal!

Training Update Week 40! :yay:
Total miles ran –0
Month to date – 0
Year to date –254.73
Miles on shoes – 73.3

Planned work outs: RELAX and enjoy the high! :thumbsup2 :cutie: :cloud9:

Things I learned this week –

Other Updates that seem important

My mental shift after Saturday has been amazing! I’m not even worried about this half marathon (that much).

I did buy some gummy nutrition type things to see if I can avoid the GU incident of the 3rd mile. If they don’t work as well, I’ll just keep practicing with the GUs and go a little slower when it comes time to take it.

Been thinking about Decembers race for a bit. I’m going to go for a 5k PR! I’ve penciled in the goal of a sub 40min 5k*! It’s 5 mins off my current PR, but I have been putting in a lot of endurance training, so I’m hoping it’ll translate well. Thoughts?

*I reserve the right to change this goal if needed. Just wanted to let you guys know that I’ve been tossing that idea around and maybe get your opinions on it.

Thursday - Saturday we are going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg!! Super pumped but it’s going to mean running in a new place and there is some planning involved. If I were to skip a run next week, it would be Fridays; however, I’m working on a game plan now and hopefully the preparation will help me stick to it.

Days till next race – 9 days until the :donald:Desmond T. Doss 5k :donald:

:darth:Plan for week 41:

Monday - 2 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Wednesday - 2.5 miles @ 15/30 sec @ 16:00/18:00 paces
Friday - 0.5 mile @ Easy + 2.5 mile @ 90/30 sec @ 14:45/18:00 paces + 0.5 mile @ Easy
Sunday - Desmond T. Doss 5k

You guys! I just googled our resort and there is a 3.5 mile running loop around a pond.. and then I looked at my run and it's 3.5 miles! Fate?? Maybe.

UPDATE - Just kidding that was the wrong resort.. it's kinda close to the one we are staying at though. I doubt they'd let me come to their resort to run though.

Last edited:
So last night at 6pm my boss asked me if I could come in at 4am today. So I got home at 8p and decided not to run and go straight to bed instead. So now I'm torn between skipping my 2.5 miles all together or doing them today. If I did them today, then I have the problem Friday of getting my run in while I'm out of town - not ideal.

Option 1 - Skip the run and do my 3.5 miles on Thursday before we leave.

Option 2 - Run my 2.5 miles today and find a place to run on Friday in Williamsburg.

Option 3 - The resort does have a fitness area - I could run today, and do some type of "cross training" at the "gym" Friday. I'd be missing out on some race pace miles, but I could squeeze those 2 miles at race pace into my 5k on Sunday??? I always over do it on that course anyway, so it may make since to have a controlled and planed "over do it.."

After typing it all out Option 2 seems the best. I think I just need to get over my fear of the unknown trails and just pick one and go. If I get kidnapped and murdered this weekend, please use this post as a cautionary tale!!!

Secret time... I never registered for my half marathon! When we first had it budgeted out, our basement flooded. So that’s where that money went. Then I kinda knew I had time and forgot about it. Then I was scared and decided not to register until after the 10 miler.... I am officially registered as of today. I paid the most and I missed the deadline to have my name printed on the bib. I still get a T-shirt though. And I was going to be in coral K anyway so no penalty there. It just got real!!!

Secret time... I never registered for my half marathon! When we first had it budgeted out, our basement flooded. So that’s where that money went. Then I kinda knew I had time and forgot about it. Then I was scared and decided not to register until after the 10 miler.... I am officially registered as of today. I paid the most and I missed the deadline to have my name printed on the bib. I still get a T-shirt though. And I was going to be in coral K anyway so no penalty there. It just got real!!!
Yay! How exciting, congratulations!

:donald: Desmond Doss 5k Plan:donald:

This course is nice and flat and the overall plan is to run it at an easy pace. Due to inclement weather, I’ve only ran once this week, so I’m a little worried but at the end of the day, I know I’ll finish barring injury- that’s such a good feeling that’s very new to me.

I do always over do it a little when I race this course. I get caught up in the race atmosphere and I justify going harder because it’s sooo flat. Since I missed some race pace miles this week, I think I could work that to my advantage. But overall, my only goal is to just have fun and enjoy running 3.1 miles with ease.

:donald:Desmond Doss 5k Recap:donald:

Mile 1 - 14:54
Mile 2 - 15:25
Mile 3 - 15:25
Mile .1 - 12:12 :car:
Official Chip Time - 46:50

Race morning - I wake up and eat some cereal. Spent the first half of the cold and rainy day just hanging out with my dogs and husband. It was very weird to have a race at 3pm!! I’m not feeling it. I’m not invested in this race and I just want to get it over with. At 1 pm, I reluctantly start getting ready and we arrive to the race at 2p. The half marathoners get a late start because a large number of them were delayed by a train (the main event/festivities were on the one side of the train tracks, while the start/finish was on the other side. ) it was fun to cheer for them though. Then at 2:20p we got to watch the kids 1k. That was really fun. At 3pm the 10k started and finally at 3:05pm the 5k started.

Mile 1- At this point, I’ve changed my attitude to “happy to be here.” Still not pumped to run 5k but I at least I managed to enjoy being there. I get to the back of the line like I always do and the air horn blows. Wow there were A LOT of walkers at this race and they were not following proper race etiquette. There were large groups of 4 and 5 and I couldn’t get past them. Finally once we were out of the coral, I was able to step off of the trail and leave them in the dust. I ran for the first 2 mins without stopping to walk (I feel like you can’t blow past large groups of people like that and then start walking…) Once I was away from the walkers, I settled into my run for 15sec walk for 30 groove. I knew I started off way to fast and I reminded myself that I had to run 3.5 miles tomorrow (today) and I slowed down.

Mile 2- I pretty much kept up my 15/30 intervals and I felt good. If I am honest, I was giving a little more than an easy effort, but I was far from race effort. I honestly thought my pace was around 16:30 so I was surprised when Strava told me it was 15:25. I did a quick double check and made sure I felt good and I wasn’t over doing it. Again, I knew I was running a little harder than easy but I didn’t feel like I was “over doing it.” So I kept it up. Also, at some point during mile 2 I lost one of my shoe pom poms! So sad!!

Mile 3- I was feeling good. Throughout the race, there was a group of girls in pink tutus ahead of me. Throughout mile 3 I started closing the gap. I thought I was going faster and had to keep stopping to evaluate how I felt. I decided that getting a good time on this race was not nearly as important as having a perfect training week in the upcoming days. I still felt the same, but they kept getting closer and closer.. I wasn’t getting faster, they were getting slower. I never passed them, but the fact that they were there and that I was getting closer really kept my spirits up.

Mile 0.1 - This 6 foot tall woman who had been walking behind me the whole time decides she’s going to sprint past me in the clutch…. I don’t get competitive at races but that’s my biggest pet peeve. So I thought “Not today!!” and I kicked up my speed. To my surprise I matched her stride and held my own for a pretty good little bit. But finally, she pulled ahead. I was happy to have held my own there for a bit though. She was more than a foot taller than me and she carried most of her height in her legs. I am only 5’4, so she had an advantage, but I actually held pace with her for a few hundred feet (I know it doesn’t seem like a lot but it made me happy okay!! LOL).

I think that this race proved I’m ready to PR in December! I still don’t know if a sub 40 is do able by then, but I do know that I’m going to go for it in December. I’m also really impressed with how steady I ran this race. I felt good the whole time and I thought about how far I’ve come. My next race is the big one, so it feels good to have this solid race day in the books.

My face when I was stuck behind the walkers at the start..
[GALLERY=]Desmond Doss 5k by Katie Little, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Also!! After the race, someone found me and returned my missing pom pom!!!! She's the real MVP!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter