Rude members in the DVC Lounge

I was very happy to have the lounge when I found myself with a phone that was dying and none of us had a charger with us. I still don't know how I ended up in that situation, but the lounge had a charger that I signed out from the front desk and I was very grateful.

There were 2 rules when we entered the lounge; (1) Do not take your shoes off and (2) Do not move the furniture. Should we add 1 chair to a customer? How do those kids warrant claims to 2 chairs at once?

On Sunday the 6th, we were told it was standing room only before we went up. As I mentioned, we were lucky to find a couple who shared the empty seats near them. On another occasion, we had to wait until Members left, then we were messaged. There must be a limit of people allowed up.

There is definitely a limit, we've been waitlisted for the lounge before, with a text when our "spot" was ready. So I find it kind of interesting that the other experience you mention involved standing room only - I would have thought Disney's capacity control would have hit the limit before then - although situations like to OP's where inconsiderate people where taking more than their share of chairs is unavoidable...

This makes me feel better about buying resale. I know it may not last but the lounge was one of the things that made me think about buying direct. It would’ve been nice to rest for a bit in a thinly populated, air-conditioned space as opposed to Electric Umbrella. The fact that my utopia doesn’t exist confirms what I ultimately decided; that direct just isn’t worth the extra cost, for me anyway.

I've been to the lounge many times, and what you describe here, "a thinly populated, air-conditioned space" is exactly what I have experienced 100% of the time. I find it to be a pleasant break in the day, and have never had problems with not being able to sit down. Whoever said you're getting a "cup" of soda is mistaken too: you can have as much as you want, and there is also coffee, and you can have as much as you want. To me, it's a lovely perk that I appreciate every time. I can charge my phone, relax, put my feet up (LOL...just starting fires...), have a pretty view, and hang out for a while before going back out into the craziness.

Seems like people have had varying experiences with the Epcot lounge. Or maybe, since we are human, they’re experiencing very similar things in vastly different ways. Not unlike when some people look at a studio and see a normal hotel room while others look at it and see a sardine can.

I guess it could be considered rude-though I have to say that when my family goes to the video “bar-cade” (video game arcade with food and drink-Fridays are free play so it gets mobbed) on a Friday night we don’t typically give our kids’ chairs away when they leave to play Frogger or whatever.

But I gotta say-man, my life has gotten happier when I decided to try and stop being outraged by everything! Life is awesome, we are privileged to be able to vacation at Disney, and I just can’t give any emotional energy any more to this kind of low level behavior that I’d call more inconsiderate than rude. Just my perspective-I hope the rest of your trip was wonderful!

I love the lounge and it is my favorite perk. But we usually go before noon, not that busy.

Would it have made a difference to tell one of the hosts that they are hoarding chairs?

Do they limit the number of guests to the number of seats then why should anyone have to stand?

There is definitely a limit, we've been waitlisted for the lounge before, with a text when our "spot" was ready. So I find it kind of interesting that the other experience you mention involved standing room only - I would have thought Disney's capacity control would have hit the limit before then - although situations like to OP's where inconsiderate people where taking more than their share of chairs is unavoidable...

The last time we went up we had to wait. When we were allowed up the only "seat" available was a single footstool cube for the 3 of us. It was hot so we did sit a bit but it wasn't exactly a stellar experience. There were a couple of people napping up there and taking more seating that could have gone to others. I'd guess they just go on body count and don't actually see if people are using more "seats" than would otherwise accommodate the number of people up there.

I've been to Epcot many times since that lounge opened. I've only bothered to go up 2 - 3 times.

Would it have made a difference to tell one of the hosts that they are hoarding chairs?

Do they limit the number of guests to the number of seats then why should anyone have to stand?
I am not sure about putting a CM in that position, would you? I wouldn’t for this.
The Sunday I was told about standing was a rainy day, off and on, did that make a difference?
I do not know.

CM's really don't do confrontational things unless it's a safety issue or clear violation of a rule. Using more than one seat? Never going to happen and I don't know that it necessarily should. A polite inquiry if it's being used and if not released then that's that IMO. I've been in the situation of not having comfortable seating due to people taking more seats but mostly I look at it as DVC providing a "benefit" that is marginal vs getting angry with the other members. It's why we don't go there much - it's been a marginal experience for us.

I am not sure about putting a CM in that position, would you? I wouldn’t for this.
The Sunday I was told about standing was a rainy day, off and on, did that make a difference?
I do not know.

Most likely I wouldn't want to do it. But I would have been upset about it, it might have ruined my day.

I would think it would be part of their job when the lounge is that busy. I know Disney's way is completely 'hands off', they rarely if ever try to correct behavior.
Case in point, the other day at Universal, at the Shrek Ride, some family climbed over some of the line to get closer to the entrance, a Universal employee stopped them abruptly and told them do not ever do that, that they cut the line in front of those other people who went through the correct way, and if security saw them do this they would get kicked out of the park. I have never seen anyone do this at Disney in all my years going, and of course we see all kinds of things go on, even kids kicking or hurting animals, they don't intervene.

I personally wouldn't have hoarded the seats, but without context it's hard to know if this was actually rude, not having been there.

OP: Would it be ok if we grab one of these chairs?
Dad (looking like he wants to fight): No.
Mom (glued to her phone): Our kids are playing video games. May come back and will need somewhere to sit down.

Rude? Definitely.

But what if it were that the family arrived in the packed lounge and stood around for 10 minutes before a small table freed up, and they only had two chairs. They tell their kids to go find something to busy themselves while the parents rest their feet a little. Kids run around a little, come back, hang out in laps then a couple of computers free up. They head over and play a little. Crowd starts to thin out then another two seats free up and they grab them for the kids to sit down and enjoy some snack or drinks. Place suddenly fills up with people again. Enter OP.

Dad (panicked his 13-yo is going to have to sit in his lap again): Oh I'm sorry, these are actually for my kids who are sitting on us, I mean with us.
Mom (frantically tries to wave the kids to come back): They just went to use the computers real quick. CARL! But should be back soon. KARL!

Their sons' names are Carl and Karl, by the way. Twins.

Could they have been more considerate? Maybe. But that scenario wouldn't be rude to me.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't have hoarded the seats, but without context it's hard to know if this was actually rude, not having been there.

Mom (glued to her phone): Our kids are playing video games. May come back and will need somewhere to sit down.

Rude? Definitely.

But what if it were that the family arrived in the packed lounge and stood around for 10 minutes before a small table freed up, and they only had two chairs. They tell their kids to go find something to busy themselves while the parents rest their feet a little. Kids run around a little, come back, hang out in laps then a couple of computers free up. They head over and play a little. Crowd starts to thin out then another two seats free up and they grab them for the kids to sit down and enjoy some snack or drinks. Place suddenly fills up with people again. Enter OP.

Dad (panicked his 13-yo is going to have to sit in his lap again): Oh I'm sorry, these are actually for my kids who are sitting on us, I mean with us.
Mom (frantically tries to wave the kids to come back): They just went to use the computers real quick. CARL! But should be back soon. KARL!

Could they have been more considerate? Maybe. But that scenario wouldn't be rude to me.

Love this. My husband and I have a long running inside joke, and the villains are always named Karl/Carl. <3

Rude? Definitely.

Can't kids sit on the floor or don't they allow sitting on the floor? Or maybe share a chair with mom and dad?

Can't kids sit on the floor or don't they allow sitting on the floor? Or maybe share a chair with mom and dad?
Absolutely. But I feel like that should be the parents' choice.

I personally wouldn't deny people a place to sit because I was "holding" a chair for my son. But I'm not convinced it's fair to expect others to follow my own personal moral code. I do that enough when I'm driving, and it only leads to road rage. I swear, Deb, I'm going to die of a heart attack one day... probably while tailgating the guy going the legal speed limit in the left lane on the highway... because I refuse to pass to the right (it's number 4 in my book of moral codes).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter