Royal pacific club level very disappointing.....

nasmith

DIS Veteran
I have just completed a 2 night stay at Loews royal pacific hotel, club level. The whole thing was very underwhelming. I’m fairly certain that I will
Not stay here again.
First - had asked for a room near the club lounge ] due to a two month old knee replacement:instead I was given a room on the 6th floor at the end of the hall- which meant I had to walk down the hall, go up an elevator and then go down the hall again. The primary reason I chose this hotel over Portofino was to avoid the long trek to the lounge. I complained, but there was nothing else available.

Second, the food offerings were sad. I’ve had better breakfasts at the Hampton Inn- and today, when we showed up at 9:30 there was hardly anything left (supposedly avail until 10am). I will post pictures.

When they did have food available - it was small yogurts, breads, bagels, English muffins; oatmeal, cinnamon rolls ( with TONS of icing), cereal, hard boiled eggs, lunch meats and cheeses, and fruit.Today, all that was left were the eggs, a few cheese slices, picked over feuit,and the adult oriented cereal
At night they have crudités with ranch, crackers, cheese bites and a rotating selection of 2 other dishes. The first night was “American” with a “gourmet” Mac -n-cheese ( it has tomatoes and meats mixed in), and potato salad. Last night was “Asian” which was a salad ( with edamame and kale, peanut - ginger dressing) and orange chicken. Tonight is “Italian” which is rigatoni.
Desserts are primarily cookies and another tiny dessert ( last night was a mango creme brûlée). The cookies were all gone by 9:15 and they hadn’t replaced them by the time I left at 9:40.
Drinks include coffee, hot cocoa and tea packets, apple juice, waters, coke, Diet Coke, sprite and tonic water and ginger ale. Adults Can choose from beer and wine during the evening time.
I will say that all of the employees were very nice ( and seemed overwhelmed due the numbers of people who are booking club level).
At any rate, I don’t think it was worth the extra money for club level

Attachments

• 1B2084ED-65CD-4557-AE25-1CEF0377A252.jpeg
    1B2084ED-65CD-4557-AE25-1CEF0377A252.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 211
  • D9A60606-5941-479F-A592-8550FFE8679A.jpeg
    D9A60606-5941-479F-A592-8550FFE8679A.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 199
I’m impressed you are able to do a vacation at 2 months out from your surgery!

I went to UO 5 months after my total knee replacement and it was too soon for me with all day/evening walking

I guess I’m just a whimp...lol

That’s sad your room assignment was just the opposite of what you pre requested
The extra walking from another floor was upsetting to you

Sometimes when club level does not have room availability, they assign club bookings to the 6th floor
So that is not unusual

I’ve ended up with a room there farthest from the elevators this year
I know it can be a hike

Hope your time in the park was good

Based on your post and pictures ..that looks abysmal for an Up charged club level amenity room. Looks like a value hotel breakfast offering.. which is fine for that type accommodation but not a CL offering imho.
And then to be so far from the elevator etc in your situation, really just stinks. I hope the rest of your visit was much better.
And good luck with ur new knee... sounds like ur certainly on a good track!

New lounge looks fantastic! Can't wait to try it!

It really is beautiful what they’ve done........I’m sure you’ll like it when you next stay again.......

OP.......sorry you didn’t have as good an experience as we always do.

What did the staff say when you asked for more food to put out? I know we’ve sometimes asked if one particular continental meat is needing to be replenished and they’ve always put more out. I love one that is almost like a salami and it always seems to be eaten first......must be popular.

We did go in at 9.30 one morning last trip and anything that was low was replenished. Funnily enough we were the opposite of you with the cinnamon roll, we thought one morning it lacked icing......but we like a lot of icing....

Dessert hour is only supposed to be 8pm till 9pm, have they started offering cookies and desserts after that? We never make dessert hour, maybe once a trip if that usually, so maybe that has changed since we were there earlier this month.

You certainly did well to be two months out from knee surgery and do a trip as macraven mentioned........I hope you managed to have a wonderful trip regardless of your Club Level thoughts.

We always have the 6th floor as a preference and it only takes seconds to get upstairs, of course with your knee issues you would feel it was much longer.

We stayed CL at RPR once and were also put on the 6th floor. Wasn't happy about that. I suppose for some it can be worth it, but for us it was a waste. Food options were limited. I felt like we paid an extra $100 per night for some cereal, soda and a couple beers every day. FTR, I wasn't overly impressed with Wilderness Lodge CL either, but food offerings were far superior.

Desert hour only goes to 9 pm. We enjoyed the lounge very much the last 9 days. Everything we have come to expect. They do get overwhelmed sometimes and Wednesday they were short one person.

I think the offerings at Portofino CL are better than at RPR. We thought PBH was great for club level and after hearing about your experience, I’m glad we picked Portofino.

I have just completed a 2 night stay at Loews royal pacific hotel, club level. The whole thing was very underwhelming. I’m fairly certain that I will
Not stay here again.
First - had asked for a room near the club lounge ] due to a two month old knee replacement:instead I was given a room on the 6th floor at the end of the hall- which meant I had to walk down the hall, go up an elevator and then go down the hall again. The primary reason I chose this hotel over Portofino was to avoid the long trek to the lounge. I complained, but there was nothing else available.

Second, the food offerings were sad. I’ve had better breakfasts at the Hampton Inn- and today, when we showed up at 9:30 there was hardly anything left (supposedly avail until 10am). I will post pictures.

When they did have food available - it was small yogurts, breads, bagels, English muffins; oatmeal, cinnamon rolls ( with TONS of icing), cereal, hard boiled eggs, lunch meats and cheeses, and fruit.Today, all that was left were the eggs, a few cheese slices, picked over feuit,and the adult oriented cereal
At night they have crudités with ranch, crackers, cheese bites and a rotating selection of 2 other dishes. The first night was “American” with a “gourmet” Mac -n-cheese ( it has tomatoes and meats mixed in), and potato salad. Last night was “Asian” which was a salad ( with edamame and kale, peanut - ginger dressing) and orange chicken. Tonight is “Italian” which is rigatoni.
Desserts are primarily cookies and another tiny dessert ( last night was a mango creme brûlée). The cookies were all gone by 9:15 and they hadn’t replaced them by the time I left at 9:40.
Drinks include coffee, hot cocoa and tea packets, apple juice, waters, coke, Diet Coke, sprite and tonic water and ginger ale. Adults Can choose from beer and wine during the evening time.
I will say that all of the employees were very nice ( and seemed overwhelmed due the numbers of people who are booking club level).
At any rate, I don’t think it was worth the extra money for club level

I'm sorry your stay wasn't all you had hoped it would be. The photos of the lack of attention to the food offerings is certainly an area that should be addressed. I would have politely asked a concierge staff to attend to it. That would be a reasonable request and they should accommodate.

But, you also complained about aspects of the stay that were under your obligation to research/control. No need to blame RPR.

1. Your mobility issues/surgery recovery is not RPR's problem. And complaining only sets you up to be disappointed when you don't get the desired outcome.

You needed to either rent an EVC or wheelchair. Or reschedule your trip if it was too soon after your surgery. How did you manage at the parks and around the resort if you couldn't ride an elevator one floor to the lounge without being upset??

NO hotel can possibly guarantee your room location based on wanting to be close to something. There were potentially numerous guests who also "needed" to be close to the lounge. Someone just sprained their ankle right before their trip...90 year old grandma cannot walk too far, so they want to be close too...family with 3 children under 4 years old could really use the convenience of a short walk...the list goes on and on.

2. The RPR sticky on this board has great information on the concierge club amenities. Loews website also has an abundance of information. Better research on your part would have provided clearer expectations of the RPR services.

The breakfast is specifically stated to be a Continental Breakfast, and the offerings you listed certainly fulfill the definition. Maybe the Hampton Inn (your example) has eggs, bacon, sausage and a waffle maker for example, but that is not a true comparison. RPR doesn't claim to include those foods.

The nightly Sweets Hour is from 8-9pm. No doubt they wouldn't keep replenishing desserts after 9pm.

3. Value. Perception of value varies greatly by person. A family of 5 with 3 hungry teenagers may find great value in the food, snacks, drinks offered by club level. A couple who spend a great deal of time at the resort may really enjoy passing the time in the lounge, partaking in adult beverages and such.
And still others find that approx. $100 additional per night doesn't make any sense at all.

Sorry to hear you were disappointed. We stayed for a week at Thanksgiving and were happy with the breakfast choices - fruit, oatmeal, yogurt and hard boiled eggs were just right for me. I think DH was tired of the same offerings after 8 days though. We enjoyed the evening offerings when we made it there for them, although a few beers or glasses of wine will always make me happy (I'm easy). I loved the mac n cheese although my vegetarian daughter couldn't eat it. I was always happy when we got back to the lounge around 9:15 and they had ANY cookies left!

I’m impressed you are able to do a vacation at 2 months out from your surgery!

I went to UO 5 months after my total knee replacement and it was too soon for me with all day/evening walking

I guess I’m just a whimp...lol

That’s sad your room assignment was just the opposite of what you pre requested
The extra walking from another floor was upsetting to you

Sometimes when club level does not have room availability, they assign club bookings to the 6th floor
So that is not unusual

I’ve ended up with a room there farthest from the elevators this year
I know it can be a hike

Hope your time in the park was good

I’m impressed too! I booked a WDW trip 4 mos after knee replacement and I was done at the parks by 2pm and back in my room with a pillow under my leg and a zip lock full of ice on my knee. That was daughters job, refilling zip lock with ice.
Then we’d spend time at the pool. We were lucky that we had nice sunny warm afternoons late January. Dinner was usually at the resort but on 2 occasions I managed a hobble to DTD for dinner :sad2:

Sorry to hear you were disappointed. We stayed for a week at Thanksgiving and were happy with the breakfast choices - fruit, oatmeal, yogurt and hard boiled eggs were just right for me. I think DH was tired of the same offerings after 8 days though. We enjoyed the evening offerings when we made it there for them, although a few beers or glasses of wine will always make me happy (I'm easy). I loved the mac n cheese although my vegetarian daughter couldn't eat it. I was always happy when we got back to the lounge around 9:15 and they had ANY cookies left!

Yep, we really just have toast and croissants and occasionally some of the salami style meat and that’s enough for us at breakfast time........

Although apparently we are unusual as we don’t use the lounge for food offerings in the evenings as we prefer to eat out later, the chicken mac n cheese is one we can’t resist having a taste of it......love it......and potato salad I don’t normally eat, but this one is lovely.

And yes, couple of glasses of wine is nice too.......:D

I think the offerings at Portofino CL are better than at RPR. We thought PBH was great for club level and after hearing about your experience, I’m glad we picked Portofino.

As far as I recall from our trips Royal
and portofino were about the same.

I haven’t yet looked at the pix, but nothing in the descriptions sounds like other than how people describe it. Or how they themselves describe it. I think maybe there were some expectations that weren’t quite based on reality.

I always say that it’s important to know when food is being served and to make sure you’re going to be there for it. So if you were going to get there at the end of breakfast, either ask them to bring more out or understand that you’re there at the end.

Lunch is snacks and not worth returning for.

Dinnertime is hit and miss. You got more than we have; we’ve never been club level when they've served anything as vegetarian sounding as your Asian night salad.

Wine and beer is available at certain times.

Desserts (yummy cookies! Other desserts always seem to have gelatin in them so we don’t eat those) are at certain times.

If you won’t be there during those times, don’t bother with club.

If you ask they will get anything they have for you. We were there for breakfast the day we left and they gave us two PBJ sandwiches to take on the plane. Anything they put out gets thrown away if not eaten.

Sorry about your room placement. It was a bit strange for us too. At check-in, we were told that our accessible room was ready. When I told the lady that none of us was handicapped, she gave me a suspicious look and said "it says right here that you requested a wheelchair accessible room!". After begging her for a non-accessible room, she stuck us (three able-bodied people) in the room right next to the lounge. Although it was very convenient being next to the lounge, we were sure someone else with a mobility issue would've loved it more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter