Room only vs Package…Pros & Cons??

BC

DIS Veteran
I know there is a difference in the cancellation policy of a room only ressie and a Package. What other pros & cons are there between the two?

I know there is a difference in the cancellation policy of a room only ressie and a Package. What other pros & cons are there between the two?
With a package, your tickets can also be lumped into the fully cancelable reservation. So, you can make park reservations while still having cancellation options. You have to go package for the dining plan, but that's obviously irrelevant right now.

I prefer to buy my tickets from a 3rd party at a discount, so I do room only.

A package has a 30 day cancellation policy while room only has 5 days. A package reservation requires everyone on the reservation to have the same tickets. So if you think that someone will join or leave the reservation at some point, you would be better off getting a room only.

A package requires full payment at 30 days out while the balance on room only is due at check in. A room only would require a ticket purchase that is separate from the room reservation. You need to buy tickets before you can make park reservations. A package lets you make park reservations before you have paid for the entire package. The deposit for a package is $200 while the deposit for a room only is equal to a one day cost.

The room only gives you much more flexibility to make changes. The package has penalties for changes after 30 days.

A package requires full payment at 30 days out while the balance on room only is due at check in.
Everyone words it this way, but the balance on a room-only booking really only gets charged to your room's account at check-in. While it does put a hold on your card, it doesn't actually get charged to your card until check-out. There's pros and cons to this since it can make for a huge bill at check-out but you can pay it down with gift cards or split payments to other cards during the stay.

I think it was mentioned earlier that the pros to the package are that you can book your trip for a $200 deposit with the balance being due 30 days from arrival, which means you are paying for your room earlier than a room only but you are typically paying for your tickets later. Once you book the package you can immediately make park reservations. You can also cancel everything including tickets up to 30 days prior to your trip.
I have always booked the package except when I had an annual pass. I find it easier for me when planning my trips.

At this time, a package must include at least two days of park tix. We sometimes do quick weekend trips with a single park day, so those have to be room reservation with separate park tickets.

If you do book a package, it comes with “magical extras” like mini golf tix and some other discounts. We typically do use the mini golf passes as our kids love this, but you may or may not consider this a benefit. On most occasions the folks at Winter Summerland have taken the ESPN passes for golf also or offered that we could use them for golf (as there is typically not anything available at ESPN for us to attend). We don’t typically use the other discounts.

Packages usually also come with plastic themed luggage tags and such.

Depends on what deals are being run... this current disney dining promo is a pretty good deal so take advantage of that. Pay the Deposit and remaining balance with disney gift cards purchased at target (for an additional 5% off) and you have a deal that beats any other currently available.

I think a pro of a package is being able to make payments online. I changed from a package to a room only and lost that ability. So much easier than calling.

One thing nice with packages if the air gets messed up it on them to coordinate the hotel etc

At this time, a package must include at least two days of park tix. We sometimes do quick weekend trips with a single park day, so those have to be room reservation with separate park tickets.

If you do book a package, it comes with “magical extras” like mini golf tix and some other discounts. We typically do use the mini golf passes as our kids love this, but you may or may not consider this a benefit. On most occasions the folks at Winter Summerland have taken the ESPN passes for golf also or offered that we could use them for golf (as there is typically not anything available at ESPN for us to attend). We don’t typically use the other discounts.

Packages usually also come with plastic themed luggage tags and such.
We were there last week…had a package but did not receive “magical extras.” Maybe I had to ask?

I like to book a package so I’m not stuck with tickets in case I have to cancel. I was sitting on tickets for 2 years because our May 2020 trip was cancelled (obviously) and we had some family obligations come up in 2021 and weren’t able to get back until 2022. I decided I’m always booking packages after that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter