• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

River Country

BuzzandWoody

Driving with my Doom Buggy
I was curious to see if River Country would be open for our trip in April.
I emailed Disney and this is the reply I got.

Just thought I'd share the info.

Thank you for contacting WALT DISNEY WORLD!

At this time, River Country is not scheduled to be open during April. However,
Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach will be open daily.
Since schedules are always subject to change, you might want to check as we get
closer to your arrival.

I have even seen on "offical" disney related material them say that there are TWO water parks, not THREE.

I am going in June and I had the same concerns. I have never been to River Country and was looking forward to a more relaxing atmosphere than the other water parks seem to be (never been there either). I have asked Disney by phone on several occasions and although no one will confirm a date - they have all said it would be open by then. I don't know if they know for sure. Sorry I couldn't be more help - Vicky

Our Vacation Club newsletter just arrived. It mentiond TWO water parks.
Makes me think River Country has bitten the dust.

Michael Ei$ner's letter in the Annual Report also mentions the TWO water parks at WDW. I thought I had heard something last year that Disney was going to make River Country Fort Wilderness' pool. I hope they at least do that, it would be a shame if it closed altogether. :(

Unfortunately for the river country fans out there the size and attractions of that park have made most of the general public unwilling to pay admission to it as a waterpark. Attendence has gotten lower and lower over the years. Another reason for the closure is the connection between River Country and the Bay Lake water system. Bacteria levels have forced closures at all the resort beaches and the same problem has been occuring at River Country. The cost to keep these levels down was another of the deciding factors.

Bummer.

I will never forget during my Scout years reading an article in Boys LIfe about some Scouts that camped at WDW and spent some time at River Country. If I remember right, there was some good background from the imagineers who designed the place. It is just a shame that in all the trips I've taken with my family, I have not been able to see this place. Now it looks like I won't be able to.

:( Bummer.

Maybe they could find a way to seal off the pool area and turn it into the pool for Fort Wilderness? Does Fort Wilderness even have a pool in fact? I can't recall seeing anything of the type when we explored the resort.

And why is bacteria such a problem at Bay Lake? We have stayed in other resorts on other lakes which offered swimming and such activities. Bacteria never seems to be such a problem elsewhere.

If RC becomes the new pool area, we will most certainly stay at Fort Wilderness. As a matter of fact, we would be extremely excited about staying there if this happened!

Unfortunatley, bacteria is a factor at river country,though it was one of the best times ever had by my son ,nephews and nieces ,it turned out to be almost a negative one-because 3 out of the 5 of them ended up with sever ear infections,which wdw helped us out and hooked us up with great antibiotics and our trip was not ruined and we have never been back to river country since:( ,i really enjoyed myself it is someplace to take your kids ,it was ahead of its time,.I am sorry wdw cant do anything about the bacteria in the lakes -and you know they have tried and will still keep trying ,HOPE,that it will change after all its a new millinuem,I personally will HOPE they keep River country alive-it was great.

I am not sure why bacteria is such a problem on Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. All I know is that the state of Florida inspects the water and it frequently flunked. For example the reason swimming is no longer allowed at the MK resorts on the lagoon is that the water would be tested at Poly and pass and then be tested at Grand Floridian (the same day) and fail. The failing resort would then have to wait 90 days to have it tested again. Grand Floridian guests would ask why the Poly guests could swim in the lagoon and we cant which caused a great many guest service nightmares. With the frequency this was occuring it was decided to simply end the swimming at the resorts.

But I play one at the DIS!:rolleyes:

Bacteria exists in all fresh water bodies in Central & South Florida, particularily in the hot summer months when water temperatures get so high. It is my understanding that it has never been real 'safe' to swim in these conditions and as more & more illnesses were reported the local Health Depatments (& Disney) had to make decisions - Thus no more swimming in the lakes. - If you'll recall, the Resorts' initially allowed lake swimming, even the YC/BC, then swimming was restricted when bacteria levels rose (generally in the summer), now swimming has been restricted altogether...:(

Ear infection is the primary culprit, btw...:eek:

Too bad for RC, but it really was a dog of a water park, IMO. Hopefully they will find a way to purify entering water acceptably to allow this park to be used by FW...
:cool: :cool: :confused: :cool: :cool:

Actually, RC was my favorite water park. Only a short walk back to those slides, instead of a 3/4 mile trek as at BB or TL.
I guess they have no choice about the bacteria problem--remarkable tho that we must have gone there a dozen or more times (for hours at a time) and never had a problem. Ditto with swimming in the lagoon the 3 times we stayed at the Poly.
Anyway--I doubt they would keep all of river country open just for FW guests. More likely the "pool" part of River country would remain open.
May River Country R.I.P--along with Mr. Toad and the Papette Bay Verandah.

I heard about a year ago, that River Country was Closing and being renovated to be used as a Swimming Hole for Fort Wilderness guests ONLY! With the opening of the "bigger" water parks, they took away from River Country.

I thought about saying "well I used to go swimming in lakes and rivers and springs in central florida all the time when I was a kid" but then I remembered I used to get swimmers ear sometimes, too.

I don't think that the water in river country connects to the water in bay lake - I think it just looks like it (like the pool at wl and the stream, there is no actual connection). I could be really wrong though.

DR

All or part of River Country would make an excellent swimmin' hole for FW. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this happens because River Country was a GREAT place to relax unlike the other two water parks. And places to relax are priceless (and rare) at WDW IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter