Riding out tropical storms at resort -what to expect?

DISFANSHAN

DIS Veteran
Hello! With this tropical system in the Caribbean heading to Florida and predictions of winds 50+ mph on Sunday, I am assuming they will close the parks! If you have ridden out a storm at at Disney Resort, can you let me know what to expect? We will be at Kidani Village. Mostly wondering if I should stock up on food to get us through the day, but any other details are appreciated!

At this point I would not anticipate the parks closing. The parks rarely close with they type of weather that is currently being predicted.

I would recommend searching 'hurricane' in this forum and you will find a lot of past experience.
Thank you, I will do that now!

I’ve been at a Disney resort twice during a hurricane. They will close the parks early, to get everyone safe.

At the Disney resort, they do keep the quick service open, if you need food, though was a long line the one time i used it. The second time, I knew to get food the day before, as always have a car. They ask you stay in your room. And they do bring out games and characters to help with boredom in the main area.

The first two were at FQ and the last one, a few years ago, when I was at Universal, at SF. Nice thing about SF is that, since a convention hotel, they opened the meeting rooms, and had characters, games, a movie to watch, and popcorn, juice boxes and snacks given to kids and any adults that wanted such.

The next day, if all safe, parks opened later than their normal opening. As cleaning needs to happen, and some places or rides closed due to storm.

Never felt unsafe at either hotel,

I was there in November 2022 when Nicole came through. They closed the parks early one day and opened the next day late but they staggered the openings.

From reading the boards over the years I knew that getting food can be crazy at the resorts so my main priority was food for myself and DD16. We were staying at CSR so I also did not want to go to the main building for food during the storm or wait in massive lines.

We had Epcot planned for the day the parks closed early with a dinner ADR for VN that was cancelled due to the early park closure. It was raining but nothing crazy so the park was doable. We walked up to VN at opening and got seated, ate and packed up what we had. We like cold pizza so knew we’d be fine having this for dinner. I also stopped at a lot of the countries and stocked up on snacks/food (especially France!).

When we got back to the resort there were a lot of RV’s and cars that were moved from the campsites so if you’re driving take parking into account. We watched some tv, ate and rested. The worst of the storm happened overnight. When we woke up in the morning it was raining and some debris outside. I believe DHS opened around 2-3 so we relaxed, ate some more of our snacks and by the time we left the debris was picked up and you really couldn’t tell anything happened.

On the bus to DHS people were talking about how they waiting over an hour for food at the main building. I’m so glad we stocked up and ate in the room and didn’t have to deal with the food court.

Hello! With this tropical system in the Caribbean heading to Florida and predictions of winds 50+ mph on Sunday, I am assuming they will close the parks! If you have ridden out a storm at at Disney Resort, can you let me know what to expect? We will be at Kidani Village. Mostly wondering if I should stock up on food to get us through the day, but any other details are appreciated!
It’s a tropical storm. If you look at the local forcast, pending which one you look at, for the Orlando area looks like a regular summer day here, just no sun in the morning. Stay away from the Jerry Springer of weather, The Weather Channel. You never see big Jim C. live from the Walt Disney complex, he is on the beach. You are not even close to the beach. When they show you a hurricane, it’s this big spinning disk and they say, packing 150 mph winds. They only place you find those winds are in a small sliver of the storm about in the one o clock position. ( if you google hurricane, it will explain it better than I can) Here in central Florida, we don’t get storm surge, you’re too far inland. We’ll get wind and rain, just like we did earlier this week and the week before but the waves won’t be crashing on the castle. Bring your poncho and your rain foot attire and have a great time singing in the rain.
My first hurricane, we drove down from Pa. We were staying at Old Key West. I walked in to check in and asked the CM if they are still checking people in? She said yes, why wouldn’t we? I said, but, but there is a cat3 hurricane coming. She smiled asked me where I was from, I told her. She said she was from Nj, a cat3 around here is like getting 6 inches of snow at home.
She was right!! You tell a Floridian you’re getting six inches of snow and they panic. Same way telling someone in the north a hurricane.
If you ever notice, all the news channels are on the beach, that is where all the life threatening damage gets done. A tropical storm in central Florida wouldn’t even close the school. Tracks can change, if it tracks closer to Florida, it will get even weaker, less time over water. If it tracks more west over the warm gulf water, it will be further away from us.
Air lines are all different, they have a hard time in blue sunny skies.
If it was a cat3 and the parks are closed and it’s your check out, they don’t throw you out, they will set you up with some kind of room. Remember, if you can’t get out, the people can’t get in BUT, we aren’t anywhere near those conditions with this rain with a name.

I was at AKL for a tropical storm where the parks closed early and opened late the next day. The food situation was fine they had more premade items as well. They had games movies etc. There was wind and very heavy rain but you honestly did not notice.... Felt more like an average rainy day elsewhere.

No one is predicting a hurricane only a tropical storm and some are not predicting that so I doubt they would close the parks.
I would be more concerned with making sure everyone in the group was prepared for downpours and wind in the parks. It’s no fun paying $20 for a Disney poncho after you’ve been soaked in the park.
We have our waterproof shoes and good quality ponchos!

It’s a tropical storm. If you look at the local forcast, pending which one you look at, for the Orlando area looks like a regular summer day here, just no sun in the morning. Stay away from the Jerry Springer of weather, The Weather Channel. You never see big Jim C. live from the Walt Disney complex, he is on the beach. You are not even close to the beach. When they show you a hurricane, it’s this big spinning disk and they say, packing 150 mph winds. They only place you find those winds are in a small sliver of the storm about in the one o clock position. ( if you google hurricane, it will explain it better than I can) Here in central Florida, we don’t get storm surge, you’re too far inland. We’ll get wind and rain, just like we did earlier this week and the week before but the waves won’t be crashing on the castle. Bring your poncho and your rain foot attire and have a great time singing in the rain.
My first hurricane, we drove down from Pa. We were staying at Old Key West. I walked in to check in and asked the CM if they are still checking people in? She said yes, why wouldn’t we? I said, but, but there is a cat3 hurricane coming. She smiled asked me where I was from, I told her. She said she was from Nj, a cat3 around here is like getting 6 inches of snow at home.
She was right!! You tell a Floridian you’re getting six inches of snow and they panic. Same way telling someone in the north a hurricane.
If you ever notice, all the news channels are on the beach, that is where all the life threatening damage gets done. A tropical storm in central Florida wouldn’t even close the school. Tracks can change, if it tracks closer to Florida, it will get even weaker, less time over water. If it tracks more west over the warm gulf water, it will be further away from us.
Air lines are all different, they have a hard time in blue sunny skies.
If it was a cat3 and the parks are closed and it’s your check out, they don’t throw you out, they will set you up with some kind of room. Remember, if you can’t get out, the people can’t get in BUT, we aren’t anywhere near those conditions with this rain with a name.
It is a tropical storm, the graphics are showing winds of 45-60mph. Evne if that is worse case scenario and Orlando was more in the 30mph zone, would that not close the parks? I am pretty sure that graphic was from a local (Florida) news station, it was not the Weather Channel.

Although i agree with the don’t worry talk, if you’re worried, go buy a loaf of bread, some pb , bag of chips and bottle of soda/ carton of milk. There you have food for the possible 6-8 hours stuck in room. You could always “pixie dust” someone else, if you don’t need it by the time you checkout.

No matter what the weather, we always had something in the room in case we just didn’t feel like going out for a meal even if it was sunny. At our life stage, we probably add a frozen pizza and just plan to stay in. We don’t need to take a chance with slipping on wet roads

It is a tropical storm, the graphics are showing winds of 45-60mph. Evne if that is worse case scenario and Orlando was more in the 30mph zone, would that not close the parks? I am pretty sure that graphic was from a local (Florida) news station, it was not the Weather Channel.
We get 30 mph winds here in the summer all the time when it rains.
No, we get 30 mph wind often here in central Florida. That’s a normal summer afternoon here. The parks have never closed for a tropical storm. You will be fine. When the park prepares to close, they don’t just turn the lights off and lock the doors, they prepare days ahead of a storm. No indications of any park closures for pending weather.
At 30mph winds, the Skyliner will still operate.
Your good, bring your poncho and rain footwear and enjoy yourself.

We get 30 mph winds here in the summer all the time when it rains.

No, we get 30 mph wind often here in central Florida. That’s a normal summer afternoon here. The parks have never closed for a tropical storm. You will be fine. When the park prepares to close, they don’t just turn the lights off and lock the doors, they prepare days ahead of a storm. No indications of any park closures for pending weather.
At 30mph winds, the Skyliner will still operate.
Your good, bring your poncho and rain footwear and enjoy yourself.
Excellent information! Thank you so much!!

You may have new "neighbors" if the storm intensifies. Many locals head to WDW during storms if they can get a reservation since they know they will be safe. Hard to say at this point.

They are known to have boxed lunches and make sure everyone is safe, fed and entertained if things gets crazy. I would get snacks, drinks and frozen pizza if you have an oven or microwave type food if you do not. We always have those items at our villa anyway. Hopefully, it will just be a rainy day!

Excellent information! Thank you so much!!
IMG_3424.jpeg

This is the latest. Floridians call this a rain with a name. Still no mention of any storm or anything to prep for. If there was even an inkling of anything that may happen, the wheels would already be in motion.
During a hurricane threat, the power companies park their trucks in the park parking lots. Floridians that live on the coastal areas during a hurricane, usually anything higher than a cat3, will head to Disney. Their condos etc. will be fine, most of them are designed to handle a cat5. The main reason they come in is because if they loose power, they don’t have AC. Nothing like living in a concrete bunker with no AC and it’s 100 degrees outside. Always make sure you have friends and or family in different parts of central Florida, AC is king. lol.
But nothing like that with this one.

View attachment 882442

This is the latest. Floridians call this a rain with a name. Still no mention of any storm or anything to prep for. If there was even an inkling of anything that may happen, the wheels would already be in motion.
During a hurricane threat, the power companies park their trucks in the park parking lots. Floridians that live on the coastal areas during a hurricane, usually anything higher than a cat3, will head to Disney. Their condos etc. will be fine, most of them are designed to handle a cat5. The main reason they come in is because if they loose power, they don’t have AC. Nothing like living in a concrete bunker with no AC and it’s 100 degrees outside. Always make sure you have friends and or family in different parts of central Florida, AC is king. lol.
But nothing like that with this one.
This is an excellent illustration. Notice that the storm is projected to be off shore Tampa on Sunday afternoon with winds of "only" 50 MPH then. The Parks are quite a distance in-land from there so the likely winds will be quite manageable. I would expect a fair amount of rain though.

This is an excellent illustration. Notice that the storm is projected to be off shore Tampa on Sunday afternoon with winds of "only" 50 MPH then. The Parks are quite a distance in-land from there so the likely winds will be quite manageable. I would expect a fair amount of rain though.
Yup, I’m gonna get wet. lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest