rides that can be done with bypass

poutytink

WAAAA The tag fairy doesn't love me...
My DBF just had triple by-pass surgery on Wed. He is only 40!!??

Before he went into surgery he was upset that we cannot go to Disney now in February and how he cannot go on any rides now. He feels like he is letting my DS and myself down.

Can anyone give me a list of rides he SHOULD be able to do for all parks (including IOA & US) so I can show him that we will still be able to go ...not in Feb. but possibly in Sept or Oct 2005?

Thanks everyone...this has been a trying couple of days for me...didn't even celebrate Thanksgiving..I won't have anything to be thankful for until he is home.

The boards are going to be going down for updating software in a few minutes, so I don't want to take time to make a long answer you won't be able to read for a few days. If you go to the official Disney site at www.disney.com and do a search for "Wheelchair", you can get to their special needs information. There is a list of rides that can be ridden while in a wheelchair. Those are basically the more tame rides.
He'll be able to do all the shows and quite a few rides.
More later.....

If he is otherwise healthy and all goes well with surgery and recovery there should be very little he CAN'T do by Sept/Oct 2005. Check with your doctor though as he gets further along with recovery....and if he is a thrill ride person ask about restraints that may come over his chest. Probably avoid anything that he may be unsure of that would get his heart racing too fast (example: If he is afraid of drops don't do ToT).

My mother had a quad by-pass 1 year ago and is coming with me to Disney in December. The only thing her doctor told her was don't push it by walking all day every day etc. We already had that covered and she will get a scooter so she doesn't get too tired with long hours in the parks.

Hope the surgery went well and my thoughts are with you and yours for a speedy recovery. :D

Myst

Seven years ago at age 62 my Father had a heart attack 3 days after Christmas, had a by pass the first week in January six weeks later he went with us to WDW in February. He walked the whole time because the Dr told him walking was good for him and he rode the rides you would take a young child on.

My 73 year old aunt rode Space Mountain about a year after having a bypass (and a couple of heart attacks). She is now 80 and still going strong.

Thanks...he shouldn't need a wheelchair..he is already walking today! The problem is he LOVES thrill rides.....ALL kinds! I figure any really extreme roller coaster is out(I think he can handle Space Mountain, not many drops and stuff) but how about Splash Mountain and stuff...? What do you guys thinK? :love:

A few years ago I had a kidney removed. My doctor told me that for six months I would have to treat any sign that said either pregnant women or people with bad backs or heart conditions should not ride would also apply to me (I was 61 at the time).

In MK I would tend to have him avoid Big Thunder and Space Mountains; Splash should be OK. At Epcot avoid Body Wars, Test Track and Mission Space. At MGM avoid both ToT and RnRC; he could do Star Tours asking for a "check ride" (where he and anyone with him would get the audio and video but not the motion).IN AK he might skip Dinosaur and the coaster in DinoLand. Otherwise anything else should be no problem at all.

Problem is..how do you tell a 40 year old "big baby" he can't do things he thinks he can??:)

Well...DBF is STILL in hospital with an infection they can't seem to clear...I think I might have to get a wheelchair or evc for him when we go..just to be safe. I think the end of Sept begining of Oct sounds good for a trip, what do you guys think? They also found out he is diabetic. Will I be charged for a refrigerator on site if he needs it for insulin?

poutytink said:
Well...DBF is STILL in hospital with an infection they can't seem to clear...I think I might have to get a wheelchair or evc for him when we go..just to be safe. I think the end of Sept begining of Oct sounds good for a trip, what do you guys think? They also found out he is diabetic. Will I be charged for a refrigerator on site if he needs it for insulin?
here's some pixie dust for the infection. Hope he's better soon.
I think by September or October, he should be doing pretty well. You've got a lot of time to decide about the ecv.
They are in the process of adding free refrigerators to all the moderate resorts; you can check on the Resort Board for info about the progress of the refrigerators being added.

Thanks for the pixie dust...he might be home by Thursday. Thanks for the advice too. I was hoping to stay at the CR tower 9/30 to 10/8. Do they have fridges too?

poutytink said:
Thanks for the pixie dust...he might be home by Thursday. Thanks for the advice too. I was hoping to stay at the CR tower 9/30 to 10/8. Do they have fridges too?
I should have written moderates and deluxes are getting refrigerators from what I've read. If you ask at the Resort Board, they should be able to tell you.
Even if they don't, you would be able to request one for medication at no charge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter