Rides that are ok with fractured back...please help

lemonears6

DIS Veteran
We just found out the other day that my 12 year old daughter fractured her spine. She will be in a back brace for atleast 3 months. We have had a surprise trip to Florida planned for months and we leave late December. We already got tickets for MVMCP but nothing else so will just do MVMCP. I feel really bad for her because she loves fast rides but I know that there is no way she will be able to for her safety. I was needing advise one what rides to avoid taking her in with a fractured spine. We planned on arriving at 4 so we can do some rides before the party starts.

Even something like Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth which are both one long continuous connected slow moving train of cars can come to an abrupt stop

Even something like Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth which are both one long continuous connected slow moving train of cars can come to an abrupt stop

Not to mention they both have parts where you go backwards, and that could strain her back.

Yeah, unfortunately I have to agree with the others. The only things I could see being absolutely safe would be shows where you're literally not in a moving vehicle at all -- even the gentle rides will jar you if they have to do an unexpected stop, the boats run into each other, etc. You'd probably be looking more at an evening of enjoying the atmosphere, watching the parade and shows, and that sort of thing in order to be truly safe about it.

I’ve been to both Disney World and Universal with a fractured back. There wasn’t much I could go on. We did shows only, and it was a bummer trip.

We just found out the other day that my 12 year old daughter fractured her spine. She will be in a back brace for atleast 3 months. We have had a surprise trip to Florida planned for months and we leave late December. We already got tickets for MVMCP but nothing else so will just do MVMCP. I feel really bad for her because she loves fast rides but I know that there is no way she will be able to for her safety. I was needing advise one what rides to avoid taking her in with a fractured spine. We planned on arriving at 4 so we can do some rides before the party starts.
from what you have said this is a surprise trip but I would talk with your daughter letting her know it will be a "no ride" trip and if she really wants to go. nothing could ruin a trip faster than an unhappy preteen. also are there other kids involved? if so that could make not riding worse while they ride

Could you post pone the trip? Especially if you know she is in the brace for 3 months. I think if you called and explained you could get a refund on the party tickets. It is so unbelievably disappointing to cancel the trip, but to go and not be able to do anything might be tough for her to deal with. Either postpone until next december or discuss with her doctor and see when she might be able to do rides safely. It sounds like you are going later December and dealing with crowds and walking around in a back brace might not be enjoyable for her either. If she has an April vacation (not around Easter) maybe consider then - Sounds like she should be in much better shape by then. Or have the discussion with her and see what she wants to do. If she loves disney and has been a number of times she might be ok just taking it easy this trip. If this is a once every few years trip then she might want to wait so that she can really get to enjoy everything.

We do have other kids. We have been many times. We have been going once a year for awhile. So this is not her first time. I was thinking about getting her a wheel chair so she would not be walking as much and could sit and rest. I was thinking we could do the shows and parades still. We have never been at Christmas time. We don’t have any park tickets for other days just this one thing. I’m going to think about it but not sure canceling is in the cards. Going to now need to think of ideas on how to make this enjoyable for her.

I think if your only park time is for a party, you might be able to pull it off if you focused on non-ride activities. Parades, shows, character meets. I would definitely talk to her first though and get her opinion. Have her look at the party map and let her decide if she would still have fun.

Don't forget that the crowds will be incredibly large in late December. Even if your DD is in a wheelchair, there is a good possibility that she will be jostled by people in the crowd. I really don't think it is safe for her to be exposed to those conditions and strongly urge you to discuss this with her doctor and consider postponing the trip.

I agree with the consensus... postpone the trip. Between the lack of things she will be able to ride (and frustration she will feel) along with the insane and hard to navigate without getting crushed crowds...

I hate to say it, but postponing seems like it could be the best solution. And if you do postpone, you can go in the summer (much better crowd wise than late dec) and make a big deal about her recovery. Get a "I'm celebrating button...", maybe a Disney floral celebration/basket... I'm sure that would be such a special trip for her, compared to a trip to Disney where she is frustrated by not being able to ride.

either way, good luck with everything and hope the trip (whenever you might take it) is extra magical!

EDIT - oh, and if you explain to Disney the circumstances, they will almost 100% guaranteed refund your MVMCP tickets. They say non-refundable, but with your circumstances, you would get a refund.

Thanks for the advice. I will for sure talk to her doctor and her about this trip. She is pretty devastated by this situation and could really use a pick me up. Summer is not really a option for us next year :(
Her safety is my number 1 priority.
(Oh and I purchased tickets on a visa gift card that I no longer have :( )

I think talking to her doctor is a priority. Going anytime during the Christmas rush is a bad idea. It’s wall to wall people at WDW.

Your daughter and her siblings will have to understand that not going is for DD’s safety. Unless, like you said, it’s a surprise. If she doesn’t know about it, then you don’t have to tell her. You could still go to Florida, just not WDW.

So sorry.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter