Reversing points in holding

pianomanzano

DIS Veteran
Just wrapped up a stay at Riviera. We had two separate reservations one night in a studio followed by 6 days in a 1BR. When we checked in, I asked if there was a 1BR available so that we wouldn't have to switch rooms (was checking constantly prior to the stay and none were available). They said there was and that I was just need to pay the difference in points for that one night (22 points). I told them no problem and that they would need to borrow points from my next UY since we have no current UY points. Checked my balances today and saw that 31 points were transferred out and 9 points are now in holding. I plan to call member services in the morning, but wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else before and if you've been successful in reversing the points put into holding.

MS should be able to fix this for you. It is not unheard of for front desk CMs to mess up a member's account. Looks like front desk did a book and then a cancel instead of a modify. Shouldn't be a problem to get it fixed.

Just wrapped up a stay at Riviera. We had two separate reservations one night in a studio followed by 6 days in a 1BR. When we checked in, I asked if there was a 1BR available so that we wouldn't have to switch rooms (was checking constantly prior to the stay and none were available). They said there was and that I was just need to pay the difference in points for that one night (22 points). I told them no problem and that they would need to borrow points from my next UY since we have no current UY points. Checked my balances today and saw that 31 points were transferred out and 9 points are now in holding. I plan to call member services in the morning, but wanted to ask if this has happened to anyone else before and if you've been successful in reversing the points put into holding.
Did member services move the points or did you?

neither, front desk did.
Ok, I did something very similar to you and discovered the next morning that they booked the "'new" room then canceled the existing one. However, I noticed the error during my stay and they "fixed" the issue.

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with member services, they were able to reverse/undo the borrowing. At first they said they would do it as a one-time courtesy, but after I explained that the front desk staff cancelled the booking (which triggered putting the 9 points in holding) and that they didn't use the points right away and instead borrowed 31 points, they went ahead and reversed it.

Yes, as a general rule you don’t want front desk staff messing with your points. They are not trained for it. There have been cases where a renter checking in asked to be upgraded to a larger villa, and the front desk willingly obliged and then took the extra points from the owner’s account without contacting the owner.

Yes, as a general rule you don’t want front desk staff messing with your points. They are not trained for it. There have been cases where a renter checking in asked to be upgraded to a larger villa, and the front desk willingly obliged and then took the extra points from the owner’s account without contacting the owner.
That makes me nervous about renting out points.

That makes me nervous about renting out points.
I haven't read a report about that happening for quite some time now, and I hope that the front desk staff has been educated enough not to do anything without involving the actual owner. But if I were to rent out points, I'd make it very clear to the renter that they could not under any circumstances request an upgrade.

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest