Return of the Porg - A June 2018 TR *updated 6/24 Epic DISmeet highlights day 7 COMPLETED!*

We were treated to a rainbow too! It’s hard to see, but it was a double rainbow. I kept trying to get the perfect shot of the rainbow with Spaceship Earth.

I totally see it, how perfect :love:

I have AKV waitlisted for one night in October. It looks pretty but we'd be coming from the Poly, too so I hope it's not too disappointing…that is, IF we get it. We also have BWV waitlisted that same night but that's an even longer shot. We shall see :-)

Wow, gorgeous golden hour photos of everyone's favorite geodesic sphere :lovestruc

Thank you! I have even more beautiful pictures at DHS coming up! I can't wait to share them

"But what does it meeeeaaan?"

This is an old youtube video right? I'm so unhip

Ahhh, paradise!

It's the best. Currently scheming how to visit on my next trip. Disney isn't complete without a visit to the best resort.

You know despite my love of resort lounging and adult beverages I have never actually sat at any pool bar. Guess it's hard to stay put with the pool loungers nearby! And though I've stayed at AKL more than any other resort I've still never had a drink or relaxed at Victoria Falls Lounge, either. AKL fan fail!

I personally don't see the fun in sitting at the pool bars, except maybe the Poly where it's right next to the pool. AKL has the fence separating and meh.

I've had a drink at Victoria Falls, but it's also just a bit boring to me. I'd rather take my drink back to the room or someplace more scenic!

Once we stayed at THE VERY DANG END of kudu trail and I swear it was about 12 miles from the lobby. While the walk nearly required provisions, we were rewarded with amazing animal viewing since it was so near to the backstage barn. All that to say, maybe there are tradeoffs for those rooms?

Yeah definitely possible. Hard to say what the tradeoff would be for a 1st floor room at the end facing a hot tub would be. Maybe quiet?

I've never seen this before but it looks great! Perfect for sharing :thumbsup2

It was really yummy. I honestly think it'd be nearly impossible for one person to finish it

Kindred spirits for real. It just takes too long to dry and style afterward!!! :rotfl:

PREACH! Of course I'm so lazy that I usually just wash my hair and go to sleep with it wet and I haven't mastered curling sooooo

I totally see it, how perfect :love:

I have AKV waitlisted for one night in October. It looks pretty but we'd be coming from the Poly, too so I hope it's not too disappointing…that is, IF we get it. We also have BWV waitlisted that same night but that's an even longer shot. We shall see :-)

It was perfect! I thought it couldn't get any better but it did the next night...!

I hope you're not disappointed too! I absolutely love AKL, though Poly is pretty magical too. Did you request Jambo or Kidani Village? I took some pictures of the Kidani pool area that I'm going to share soon!

Awesome SE photos at the golden hour, love the rainbow. The sandwich at the Mara, yum!

Thank you! Those Florida skies are just too perfect.

Sandwich was definitely a win. Not something I'd ordinarily order, but I was very satisfied!

Guys, I found a great flashback picture from when I worked at The Mara at Animal Kingdom Lodge waaaay back in 2006, and I just had to share with you all!
I was living in Vista Way, and these are my roommates. Can you guess where they worked based on their costumes?
29654105498_9892d9582e_o.jpg

Yes, it was... but... Who is the unhip one if I'm making references to old YouTube videos that no one gets?! :rotfl:

I think the only logical explanation is that we are both unhip :rotfl2:

Those rainbow photos are amazing!!

Glad you had some time to enjoy the resort! AKL provides a lot of different toiletries!

Love the throwback photo!!

Florida has the most amazing skies!

AKL is just a dream :love:

Thanks! So funny to look back on

I didn't know you were a cast member before! That's awesome!

I did the College Program in 2006. I started out at The Mara (I was obviously thrilled to be placed at my favorite resort!) and then they cross trained me for In-Room Dining. It was a lot of fun, but I was also 19, so I think I would have appreciated it a bit more if I had been older.

Day 3 - June 23rd - Boma and DHS!

Today's plans:
8:30 Boma breakfast ADR
9:45-10:45 Star Tours FP
11:25-12:25 Rock n Roller Coaster FP
12:40-1:40 Tower of Terror FP
2:45 Sci-Fi Dine-In Theater ADR

I woke up a little later than I wanted to on this day, but the perks of being in the same hotel as our breakfast ADR meant that was ok! So I just washed my face and threw on some clothes, and of course, checked out the view.
42384610954_a4da7f761b_c.jpg

We used the elevator bank near us, and walked outside to Boma. AKL is so gorgeous in the morning.
43053070882_afe4b57fcd_c.jpg

42384487824_b4329c11e6_c.jpg

41291848490_041b4e344f_c.jpg

29230558128_016233c2a7_c.jpg

We checked in at 8:27, and while we were waiting to be seated I checked out the empty Jiko.
29230705508_6bf5eb2cc0_c.jpg

42384613054_28f639550b_c.jpg

29230557728_d59eba4dc7_c.jpg

We were seated at 8:35, only five minutes past our ADR time! We were at a two-top by the big beautiful windows!
42198339335_b7dbc1fb3e_c.jpg

I quickly got my first plate. I think my favorite thing on the plate was the Boma mustard in the front
42384625654_22b944370e_c.jpg

Here’s my second plate, where I went a little sweet. I’m not a fan of my foods touching, especially not savory foods getting covered in syrup so I’m kind of careful on buffets.
This is the Mickey waffle with the praline pecan sauce that I think @pepperandchips raves about. And it was SUPER good, and I made my dad try it too. I think the eggs in the back were the goat cheese and chive eggs. People love these eggs so I had to give them a try. I just don’t like goat cheese, though.
29230610658_135e026804_c.jpg

Plate #3, featuring the heavenly bread pudding.
41291854150_c8753095b7_c.jpg

Plate #4 – um wow, how did I have 4 plates? I know I didn’t eat this whole omelette… Well, I guess when it’s a buffet you’ve got to get your money’s worth right?!
41291704880_2270b4b119_c.jpg

Boma thoughts: This was a really good meal, and I loved tried the unique options they had. I didn’t feel like they really had as much African themed dishes as at dinner and it’s so much food for breakfast so I’m not sure I’d do this again, but maybe if I was staying at AKL.

After a very filling meal I returned to the room to finish getting ready, which didn’t take long. We were at the bus stop at 9:50, and I made sure to touch the good luck door before leaving in the hopes that it would help me get into Toy Story Land…

The bus arrived almost exactly when the board said it would (though I didn’t record what time that was). The bus driver was really friendly and started up a conversation about meeting Chewie. He was so great I tweeted a cast compliment for him!

According to my photos we arrived at the front entrance of Hollywood Studios at 10:14. Wow, there was so much construction mess there! But I loved seeing the Skyliner station. Can’t wait to give these a try.

Hello beautiful!
41291844770_1e5edfa97c_c.jpg

41291863050_8c739cdde1_c.jpg

28233966427_47ae95e3f4_c.jpg

29230702868_d22d2a1962_c.jpg

First things first, I had to go check out the entrance to Toy Story Land. I knew the chances of soft openings were miniscule, but I kept hoping. I milled around for a bit, and eventually gave up.
29230582318_47e4afd5a0_c.jpg

29230696838_26a6111e6b_c.jpg

Dejected, we headed to Star Tours to use our first FP.
42198377345_93d9bcb59f_c.jpg

43053068542_f6760d0c0b_c.jpg

Once again, I was not the rebel spy even though I was wearing a Star Wars shirt and carrying a Porg. We got the stormtroopers halting the ship, pod racing in Tattooine, Princess Leia transmission, and Naboo/Gungans. Boooo, the prequel scenes are my least favorite, though the end of the Naboo sequence always startles me when the Naboo Starfighter breaks through the glass. Sidnote: I just read that there’s an alternate version of this scene where it doesn’t break the glass, but the angry little droid throws paint at the window. I’ve never seen that!

In the gift shop I took a picture of this cup to consider buying. I’m trying to cut down on single use items, and these sorts of cups help a lot with that, but I never did buy this one.
43103077251_f0723e817b_c.jpg

Up next: More Fastpasses!

Last edited:
We did get the paint splatter scene once, lol! I dislike these sequences as well. I swear we get the pod racing all the time, ugh!

I have never been the rebel spy, my sister was once and she has been on the ride only a couple time, go figure!
We must look to experienced on the ride, right? must be the reason, haha.

Oh my, I am not even done reading the first chapter of this TR, and I had to stop to tell you how much I LOVE it and there are so many more of yours for me to read. I totally dig your style. Obviously, I am a newbie, but I just started my first pre-trip-report for my first ever solo-trip, and it's report like yours that have made me decide I'm going solo for the first time. OK....I'll go back to reading now. :daisy:

I think they can sense when you really want to be the rebel spy and deliberately don't give it to you! :laughing: I think that's why I have never been chosen. :sad2:

I absolutely love the photos you took of Spaceship Earth, and the next morning at AKL. Disney Beauty though. :lovestruc:lovestruc I also loved the throwback to your Mara days! I didn't realize you worked there. Of all the QS places to work at Disney, I'd think that would be a fairly enjoyable one. :goodvibes

I have only made it through your arrival day, but I wanted to let you know that I just found your report and am following along! I love that it's a father/daughter trip; I hope one day my daughter wants to take trips with her dad!
AKL is such a great resort, and I love the wallpaper in the bathroom but once you mentioned the lighting, I could definitely see where you're coming from. It is pretty dim in there....

Beautiful shots of Pandora at sunset. It had to be hard to walk away from it and go use your FP.

Entering a pool by slide is the best way to go!

We did get the paint splatter scene once, lol! I dislike these sequences as well. I swear we get the pod racing all the time, ugh!

I have never been the rebel spy, my sister was once and she has been on the ride only a couple time, go figure!
We must look to experienced on the ride, right? must be the reason, haha.

So cool! I wonder how many more sequences, or variations of scenes, I haven't seen! I know in the Gungan scene you can either hit Jar Jar or almost hit him.

My brother's GF got it too!! Maybe we do look too experienced.

Gosh, AKL is just gorgeous.

It sure is :love:

Oh my, I am not even done reading the first chapter of this TR, and I had to stop to tell you how much I LOVE it and there are so many more of yours for me to read. I totally dig your style. Obviously, I am a newbie, but I just started my first pre-trip-report for my first ever solo-trip, and it's report like yours that have made me decide I'm going solo for the first time. OK....I'll go back to reading now. :daisy:

Awww thanks so much! I'll have to check out your PTR.

I'm going on my first totally solo trip soon too! I hope we both enjoy it :goodvibes

I think they can sense when you really want to be the rebel spy and deliberately don't give it to you! :laughing: I think that's why I have never been chosen. :sad2:

It's gotta be it! Maybe I'll try looking completely disinterested next time.

I absolutely love the photos you took of Spaceship Earth, and the next morning at AKL. Disney Beauty though. :lovestruc:lovestruc I also loved the throwback to your Mara days! I didn't realize you worked there. Of all the QS places to work at Disney, I'd think that would be a fairly enjoyable one. :goodvibes

Thank you!! Mostly everything about Disney is so photogenic.

Thanks! It's such a funny throwback; that hat I had to wear was absolutely terrible. The in-room dining costume was much better, and had no hat, but I don't have any pictures in it. It was a pretty great place to work! We'd have to get trays from the pool area, and I could go say hello to the giraffes! Or sometimes I'd bus the trays from the halls and I got to explore so much of the resort. I was definitely very thankful to have an indoor job!

I have only made it through your arrival day, but I wanted to let you know that I just found your report and am following along! I love that it's a father/daughter trip; I hope one day my daughter wants to take trips with her dad!
AKL is such a great resort, and I love the wallpaper in the bathroom but once you mentioned the lighting, I could definitely see where you're coming from. It is pretty dim in there....

Beautiful shots of Pandora at sunset. It had to be hard to walk away from it and go use your FP.

Entering a pool by slide is the best way to go!

Aww thanks!! I consider my dad one of my best friends and love to travel with him. I hope your daughter gets that too (and a great relationship with you, of course :goodvibes).

The bathrooms are really dim, but it wouldn't dissuade me from staying there. Too many other pros to let that one teeny little con get in the way! Plus, I'm sure they'll do a soft refurb soon.

It was really hard to walk away, but Dad was not quite as thrilled by it :rotfl:

It really is! It can be too cold to get out of the pool and try it later, so it works out fantastic!

I am all caught up now! Abou to check out your previous trip reports. And I am sorry, I am SO girl-crushing on you :worship:
Love your pictures, your relationship with your dad, your style...all of it!
I so feel you on the Floridian heat, I am so bad at dealing with it. The hot summer in Germany is nearly killing me right now.

By the way, should you need any help at all with your upcoming trip to Germany, at all, just let me know, I'd be happy to help. :daisy:

Beautiful shots of Spaceship Earth with the rainbows! what a great sight to see as you were leaving the park.

That throw you ended up buying looked really cute. You can never have too many blankets...

That omelette you had at Boma looked delicious. I can completely understand not wanting to get syrup on your savory items. Once syrup touches something it changes the taste of the food!

Bummer about no soft opening and about not getting picked to be the rebel spy.

Sounds like Boma has a lot of options! I agree, I don't like syrup touching any of my other items!

Sorry not soft opening of TSL :(

I am all caught up now! Abou to check out your previous trip reports. And I am sorry, I am SO girl-crushing on you :worship:
Love your pictures, your relationship with your dad, your style...all of it!
I so feel you on the Floridian heat, I am so bad at dealing with it. The hot summer in Germany is nearly killing me right now.

By the way, should you need any help at all with your upcoming trip to Germany, at all, just let me know, I'd be happy to help. :daisy:

Thanks so much for reading along! Hope you enjoy the old TRs too :goodvibes

And aw, shucks! I don't think anyone has ever had a girl-crush on me before. I am very thankful for my relationship with my dad. And thanks so much for commenting on my style! Summer style isn't my favorite, so that means a lot!

Where do you live in Germany? I'm open to any and all suggestions! We're for sure doing Berlin and Munich, but also contemplating trying to see some of the wine country!

Beautiful shots of Spaceship Earth with the rainbows! what a great sight to see as you were leaving the park.

That throw you ended up buying looked really cute. You can never have too many blankets...

That omelette you had at Boma looked delicious. I can completely understand not wanting to get syrup on your savory items. Once syrup touches something it changes the taste of the food!

Bummer about no soft opening and about not getting picked to be the rebel spy.

Thank you! Spaceship Earth is so fun to photograph.

That's exactly how I feel about blankets! When I was younger I always hated it when I slept at someone's house and they had maybe one blanket to share with me, so I've made it my goal to have lots of cozy blankets!

Exactly! I don't know how people are ok with syrup getting all over everything :rotfl:

It is a bummer, but it forced me to go back, so I guess not too bad in the end?! And maybe someday I'll be the rebel spy!

Sounds like Boma has a lot of options! I agree, I don't like syrup touching any of my other items!

Sorry not soft opening of TSL :(

Boma did have tons of options, I'm very glad we tried it!

It was very disappointing at the time, but it convinced me to take another trip, so I guess it all works out :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter