Return of the Porg - A June 2018 TR *updated 6/24 Epic DISmeet highlights day 7 COMPLETED!*

I saw this blanket in Mouse Gear that I made a mental note to possibly buy later. This design is just way too cute!
28233853447_ecc77e4ca4_c.jpg

I loved that design too, I ended up buying it on a cinch style backpack instead.

We will just miss you, our trip starts on 8/11 at the Pop. We are doing the DAH on 8/11.

Looks like a good plan so far, this trip will be our first without BoG lunch!

So sad! I vote you extend your vacation :thumbsup2

I hope you enjoy DAH - it was great in March!

Last trip was my first without BOG. There were tons of reservations available for lunch in August which is surprising to me. Maybe it's getting less popular?

8/4 is a HS morning for us too. I'll be on the look out for you! I can't wait to try out Woody's Lunchbox!

How exciting! You could potentially be my first Dismeet!

Woody's Lunchbox looks fantastic - I think I'm going to try the brisket sandwich and maybe one of the pastries.

Ohh that blanket is awesome! I hope you ended up buying it!

Cute pics with Baymax!

Awww, that's kinda cute that Sam tried to hide her dislike of the Beverly so she wouldn't hurt your feelings! LOL

Your FP plans for August sound great!

I absolutely did buy it later! I have a weakness for blankets.

Baymax is so fun!

It was really cute and sweet of Sam to hide her dislike for something I supposedly loved. Kinda made me feel bad for tricking her hahaha

Thanks! It's kinda crazy planning a trip that's so last-minute, at least in Disney standards.

We were at Trattoria the same morning you were, but our reservation wasn't until 9:25. I was sitting in the waiting area when Ariel was announced - I actually saw her come out from backstage in the Abracadabar and she motioned for me to not tell everyone as she stepped behind a curtain. I agree that these were the easiest face character interactions ever, and they spent a LOT of time answering questions from our 3 pre-teen girls! We also got to see the crown, and those pancakes were fantastic.

And while you were sweating in Animal Kingdom, we were in Epcot slowly melting at the Frozen fireworks party. It was definitely the hottest afternoon and night we experienced during our stay.

Oh fun! That means we were definitely there at the same time. I don't think we left until close to 10. Wasn't Ariel so pretty that day? Such a fun experience!

Man, I was so ill-equipped to handle that heat at first. Either the heat did get better or I finally adapted by the end of the trip!

I loved that design too, I ended up buying it on a cinch style backpack instead.

I almost bought that backpack! Is it comfortable? I worry that the straps would dig into your shoulders a bit.

This is hilarious! So nice of her. :laughing:

Right? She's so nice!

Indeed. On the plus side, he'll always try again :laughing:

Day 2 - June 22nd - World Showcase!

Soon after our photoshoot in front of the future Guardians ride we met up with Sam's parents near Spaceship Earth.

I took this picture because when we had entered through International Gateway I had told Sam all about how Tower of Terror was themed so that it blended in with Morocco... but then we couldn't see Tower of Terror at all so I thought I was crazy. I think this conversation came up due to the big new show buildings Epcot is building. Anyway, entering through Mexico I discovered I wasn't crazy and TOT IS themed to blend in with Morocco. I guess you can sort of see that the Ratatouille show building probably will need to be themed with Morocco or have trees or something. Curious what they'll do!
28279908427_fa27746d22_c.jpg

We walked to Norway so Sam and her family could get a DAS time for Frozen Ever After (side note: Sam has a chronic illness). The return time ended up being right around when Dad and I had a FP so we decided to ride together!
28279906997_e6994b66dd_c.jpg

29230533218_034a990fb4_c.jpg

We walked back to Mexico to explore that pavilion while we waited for our turn to ride. I noticed that the orchids from Flower & Garden were still up!
28279905537_cdba70151d_c.jpg

This quote resonates with me.
43102992741_87f8269a17_c.jpg

There's so much Coco in the Mexican pavilion and I'm so here for that! I hadn't noticed before that the ghosts of Miguel's family fade in and out of the cemetery scene.
42384377554_41710e89cb_c.jpg

The ofrenda scene is still my favorite and it's proof to me that a Coco overlay would work great on the Mexico ride! This is an IP that really works in Epcot, get on it Disney!
42378701904_47a983bb02_c.jpg

We walked right on to Gran Fiesta Tour. Dad and I had missed this last time because it was down when we tried to ride. Even though I think they should change it to Coco there's something very charming about the ride.
41285952000_d936acdffd_c.jpg

Party today!
29224656628_38bbff431c_c.jpg

29230483328_6bb4d36662_c.jpg

After our tour it was back to Norway to use our FP at Frozen Ever After.

First we stopped in the church to check out the new Viking exhibit about Thor. It was kind of interesting, but I almost thought the Frozen exhibit was better. I did like the World Tree, though!
43052818412_50e47b6577_c.jpg

Sam has actually never seen Frozen, and she refuses to see it - which has become something of a family joke. I believe at Christmas everyone pitched in for a gift box filled with Frozen items :rotfl:
41291630640_ce2ed1a18b_c.jpg

All I want is to take a clear picture of Sven, and it's SO hard!
29230533858_8751d69b1d_c.jpg

Let it go, let it go!
42384406434_b8a6a0e79a_c.jpg

Do the magic, do the magic! I channeled my inner Elsa for the ride photo and FEA splashed me good.
43070371862_c2eb2fe0d7_c.jpg

Sam and her family had FPs at Test Track next and planned to spend their day in Future World so we split up for now!

I noticed the Norway cart now has the name of the Scandinavian pilsner Dad had in November. In case you didn't read that TR, Dad ordered the pilsner then and the CM told him the name of it and said Disney wouldn't put it on the sign because it's too close to an English swear word. Guess they had a change of heart, much to my amusement. I especially like that it has pronunciation next to it.
29224801658_9924a7080c_c.jpg

I was pretty hot and wanted an afternoon break, but Dad suggested margaritas, so back to Mexico we went. You like all this back and forth?! I think we actually used the bathrooms in that big, empty building (Odyssey building???) and that's why I have this lovely photo.
43046849532_f3dcecb31f_c.jpg

THEN we went to La Cava del Tequila. It was still pretty early in the day so we waited maybe five minutes for a table.
43102994241_44718e9625_c.jpg

We made a lunch of the chips and dips. All are very tasty, and hit the spot.
43103042131_e580c956b4_c.jpg

I ordered the old standby, avocado margarita, since nothing else really jumped out at me.
29230482978_0bc0d33b01_c.jpg

28228658467_e46652acc9_c.jpg

La Cava Avocado - Tequila Avion Blanco, Melon Liqueur, fresh avocado, agave nectar and fresh lime juice served frozen with hibiscus salt rim

Dad ordered his favorite, the jalapeño margarita. It's pretty much the only mixed drink I ever see him drink so you know it's good!
43102994541_4b194a8ae9_c.jpg

Jalapeño - Tequila Altos Repasado, muddled jalapeños and cucumbers with fresh lime juice and agave nectar served on the rocks with hibiscus salt rim

The food and drinks were great here. The service left something to be desired, but that's ok, maybe it was just an off day for the server. When the drinks are $15 it's pretty easy to say no to a second, so we moved on.

We waved hello and goodbye to China.
41291636200_7f432b3af5_c.jpg

43046927182_e2869869fd_c.jpg

43102995891_2a329d41e7_c.jpg

We had to stop in Germany. I'm going to Germany in September so it's just extra fun to get excited for that trip. And who can pass up a German beer? Not us two.
41291678980_5094b01d5a_c.jpg

41291628500_ec9d4b4e6d_c.jpg

41291656390_e9a7b6c615_c.jpg

I ordered König Ludwig Weissbier. I never seem to really like wheat bear and yet I keep ordering them. Don't worry, I finished it anyway!
43102996211_30b508f0b2_c.jpg

Dad got a beer too and we explored the stores while we enjoyed (or tolerated, in my case) our beverages and then continued around the world!

Up next: more World Showcase!

Last edited:

Omg I had no idea about ToT/Morocco! That is such a cool fact!

I love your pose for the ride photo!!

Nice lunch of chips and margs :)

I almost bought that backpack! Is it comfortable? I worry that the straps would dig into your shoulders a bit.

I haven't had any problems with it digging, but one of the straps does not want to stay tightened where I set it! I love the fact that it has a zipper pocket on the side too.

I had quoted Sam's reaction to Beverly, but lost it - that is hilarious that she was trying not to disappoint you!

I took this picture because when we had entered through International Gateway I had told Sam all about how Tower of Terror was themed so that it blended in with Morocco... but then we couldn't see Tower of Terror at all so I thought I was crazy. I think this conversation came up due to the big new show buildings Epcot is building. Anyway, entering through Mexico I discovered I wasn't crazy and TOT IS themed to blend in with Morocco. I guess you can sort of see that the Ratatouille show building probably will need to be themed with Morocco or have trees or something. Curious what they'll do!
I think the imagineer's aim was accomplished if even you couldn't pick it out right away!

The ofrenda scene is still my favorite and it's proof to me that a Coco overlay would work great on the Mexico ride! This is an IP that really works in Epcot, get on it Disney!
42378701904_47a983bb02_c.jpg
I know! I wish they would do it - it'd be perfect!

Sam has actually never seen Frozen, and she refuses to see it - which has become something of a family joke. I believe at Christmas everyone pitched in for a gift box filled with Frozen items :rotfl:
41291630640_ce2ed1a18b_c.jpg
That sounds like a great Christmas present!

Do the magic, do the magic! I channeled my inner Elsa for the ride photo and FEA splashed me good.
43070371862_c2eb2fe0d7_c.jpg
I love how Sam is just so not into it!

Yes, let's make it happen. That would be lovely (my first Dis meet up too). Did I see one of the posters mention following your trip on Instagram? My name on Instagram is @rachelchigoy I post our Disney stuff there too along with other odds and ends. 20 days left! My DD turns 16 on the 6th, so this trip will be extra special. We have celebrated her 9th and 14th BDay in Disney, the pros of a Summer BDay.

The Pandora sunset pictures look great and the tree of life is gorgeous all lit up :lovestruc

The Bon Voyage breakfast looked fun. Did you have to ask if you could take the left over pastries or did you just take them?

I did not know that but that is cool.

Alright, I'm finally here and caught up! You took some beautiful pictures :lovestruc especially the sunset in Pandora!! I've also made a note of that adorable throw blanket! It might have to come home with us if they still have it there at the end of August.

Omg I had no idea about ToT/Morocco! That is such a cool fact!

I love your pose for the ride photo!!

Nice lunch of chips and margs :)

The Imagineers really think of everything, it seems!

Thanks!! Wish Anna had a signature pose cause she's my fav.

Lunch of champions :laughing:

Signing up! We have out first AKL stay booked next year so I'm loving your pictures!

Thanks for joining in! You're going to love AKL, it's absolute perfection!

I love the Coco displays in Mexico! Awesome movie.

Wonderful movie, Pixar really knocked it out of the park on that one

I haven't had any problems with it digging, but one of the straps does not want to stay tightened where I set it! I love the fact that it has a zipper pocket on the side too.

That's good to hear, maybe I'll purchase one on my next trip. Thanks for the feedback!

I had quoted Sam's reaction to Beverly, but lost it - that is hilarious that she was trying not to disappoint you!

So funny and considerate.

I think the imagineer's aim was accomplished if even you couldn't pick it out right away!

Yeah you're definitely right! They did a wonderful job

I know! I wish they would do it - it'd be perfect!

So perfect! How did Ratatouille get the green light before Coco? (Though I am excited for Ratatouille)

That sounds like a great Christmas present!

Right? I'd love it!

I love how Sam is just so not into it!

So not into Frozen :laughing:. Though, to be fair, they really did oversaturate the market with Frozen. It almost became unenjoyable to me and I LOVED the movie.

I love Coco and think that would be a great change/addition.

Maybe we can petition them or something? haha

You have your own wonderful international trip coming up!!

Yes, let's make it happen. That would be lovely (my first Dis meet up too). Did I see one of the posters mention following your trip on Instagram? My name on Instagram is @rachelchigoy I post our Disney stuff there too along with other odds and ends. 20 days left! My DD turns 16 on the 6th, so this trip will be extra special. We have celebrated her 9th and 14th BDay in Disney, the pros of a Summer BDay.

Yeah I posted my Instagram in a previous TR, I think! It's karaconstructsamess!

What a great way to spend your 16th birthday! And how lucky she got to spend other birthdays there too. Disney is my favorite place to spend a birthday :lovestruc

Following along!

:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

The Pandora sunset pictures look great and the tree of life is gorgeous all lit up :lovestruc

The Bon Voyage breakfast looked fun. Did you have to ask if you could take the left over pastries or did you just take them?

Thank you! Yes, the Tree of Life is really something special all lit up at night, and I can't say enough positive things about the Tree of Life Awakenings!

It was really fun! We didn't ask to take the leftovers, but they would just have to throw them away anyway, so I don't think anyone minds!

I did not know that but that is cool.

I really hope my little Disney trivia tidbit is correct :rotfl:

Following along!

Hello, welcome! Thanks for taking the time to read along!

Just started and super excited to tune in!

Hi!! :wave2: Happy to have you along for the ride!

Alright, I'm finally here and caught up! You took some beautiful pictures :lovestruc especially the sunset in Pandora!! I've also made a note of that adorable throw blanket! It might have to come home with us if they still have it there at the end of August.

You made it! Thanks so much, I have a great time taking photos in Disney.

They seemed to have the blankets at many places so I hope it's still there for you!

Day 2 – June 22nd – World Showcase drags on

I’ll be the first to admit that at this point in the day I was less than agreeable. The heat was really getting to me and I had wanted to go back to our beautiful resort for an afternoon break and return in time for the 8 pm Guardians show. But it was getting later in the afternoon it was starting to feel too late to take a break. So. I was cranky. And it was hot.

The World Showcase seemed to drag on forever in either direction, and we were SOOOO far from an exit. We trudged on unable to think of another option.
28279903517_59222e80a8_c.jpg

I veered into Mitsukoshi because you just can’t pass up that store. But I was so hot the air conditioning couldn’t make me feel better. After a little sulking (how do people handle heat well?) I came up with a new plan to watch the 6:45 pm show with Sam, and then head back to the hotel early.

With a new lease on life, or at least an end to the torturous heat in sight, we made our way to France, waving ‘hi’ to Morocco.
28279901857_5d65284a92_c.jpg

43102994271_d11ff7b43f_c.jpg

42384407324_762a6c8a0f_c.jpg

43047195432_f2fb4e0834_c.jpg

I hadn’t seen Impressions de France in at least a decade, but today was the day! I was going to watch it again… because I wanted the air conditioning and a place to sit. The film was pretty good, I had no idea France had that much diversity in landscapes. The air conditioning didn’t work that well, but it was a reprieve from the sun so it helped my mood tremendously.

The UK was next up. I had considered detouring us to the Boardwalk to have Ample Hills, but it was honestly so hot that ice cream didn’t sound appealing. I know that sounds crazy, but surely I’m not the only one who thinks ice cream can be a bit too heavy on a super hot day?

Our destination, instead, was the Rose and Crown.
28233852597_c84fb6ff12_c.jpg

29224689148_a801d339fd_c.jpg

Dad needed his traditional Bodingtons. Only they gave it to him in a plastic cup. You might remember that Dad really prefers real glasses. Oh well.
43102995231_836430cf5c_c.jpg

I happily drank water and enjoyed my seat.

Outside the window I could watch them testing the Illuminations lighting in the UK. Or what if it was them testing lighting for a new show oooooooh. Or maybe it’s just regular nighttime lighting,
43052866202_d4e13fce40_c.jpg

When Dad finished his beer we vacated our spots. He didn’t want another since they weren’t using glassware.
43102991851_eb7d0ec965_c.jpg

The afternoon storms had started rolling in so the temperature was much improved. We explored the UK shops for a bit.
28233854197_a6c58a6ec5_c.jpg

43102995771_c702c52e33_c.jpg

41291678920_556958cae6_c.jpg

It started raining while we were in the shops, so we stepped out to the garden to enjoy it. I stayed under an awning, but Dad enjoyed the light rainshower.
43046927712_ab94f7dbc0_c.jpg

42384407744_fc42c41ae7_c.jpg

I told Dad about the drama concerning the fish and chips at the Yorkshire County Fish Shop. For those not in the know, apparently the Fish Shop swapped out cod, a fish commonly used in authentic UK fish and chips, for tilapia A TERRIBLE BOTTOM FEEDER THAT NOBODY SHOULD EVER EAT EVER AND IT’S SO TERRIBLE HOW DARE DISNEY.

The first thing Dad said when I told him was that it was terrible if true because tilapia isn’t traditional. So ok, maybe there’s some merit to that aspect of the argument. I still maintain that fried food pretty much tastes like fried food.

All this to say that when there was a break in the rain we made our way to the Fish Shop because Dad wanted to taste for himself. And being the good Dis-er that I am I asked the CM what kind of fish they were using and she happily told me they were using tilapia “which is similar to cod”. I was probably the 80th person that day to ask.
41285952060_8a14775672_c.jpg

We found a great waterfront table with an umbrella. And it seems that I failed to take a picture of the fish & chips. It tasted like… fried fish. Maybe I just don’t have that discerning of a palate? The fries, on the other hand, were cold and disappointing.
43102997101_b5522f8a82_c.jpg

There was a little duck that kept peeking its head through the railing, begging for food—just like my cats!
43047193692_06be1f1cc1_c.jpg

We also spied a soft shell turtle in the water. AT least I think that’s what Dad called it.
28279898977_ab84bc934d_c.jpg

It started raining again, so we stayed under our umbrella and just enjoyed the view. I also took some selfies, cause why not?
41291676990_a7f8351075_c.jpg

It was pretty enjoyable sitting under our umbrella in the light rain, but we eventually gave up our spot and headed back to the America pavilion.

On the way back we took some time in Morocco. It was still lightly raining. I noticed in the outdoor market area that it’s actually covered even though it looks open.
42192887235_b300cca920_c.jpg

29224689658_53545e2041_c.jpg

42379483204_c9f65c543b_c.jpg

43097067391_514ca7995e_c.jpg

Hello to a rainy Japan!
42384344444_e322cf314a_c.jpg

Up next: Guardians save the
galaxy!

Last edited:
August Trip Planning part 2!

So I was just up and looking around at the Disney website, and I decided to modify my Toy Story Mania FP on my first night to see if there was anything available for either of the new rides and lo and behold THERE WAS. Sitting there, waiting for me, was a FP for Alien Swirling Saucers at exactly the perfect time! My Toy Story Mania FP had been at 7:45, and this one was at 7:25. Wow am I excited! I've been reading that Saucers can be a worse wait at night due to a side going down, so I'm glad I stumbled upon this FP!

Second piece of info: I bought a ticket to the August 4th Disney After Hours event! Since I'm trying to be more budget conscious I first bought an online Disney gift card from Target with my RedCard, which saved me $5, which saves a little money on this ticket; this is in addition to my AP discount. Sort of trying to justify this cost because it probably wasn't necessary... but it was so fun last time!

I'm also going to buy Disney gift cards from Target to pay off my hotel room with. It's not a huge savings, but any little bit counts!

But I was so hot the air conditioning couldn’t make me feel better.
I'm right there with you... I cannot deal with the heat well at all... and it takes me forever to cool down these days... I'm thinking January might be a good time of year for me and Disney.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts